Re-Reads

How much does your collection worth? Whose to blame for the state of the industry? Who'll win in a battle between Azrael the cat and Zabu? We don't know at the moment, but you can try and find your answer here.
">

Re-Reads

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Ever read something and thought of it one way, only to change your mind later after going back and re-reading it? Well, let's hear about it. 8-)
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Re: Re-Reads

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Holy Terror
So I'm something of a Frank Miller fan. So when Holy Terror came out, I flipped through it and thought nothing special about it rather than hating it like everyone seemed to be doing. I saw it as a modern day take on the pro-Allied forces type comics from back in the day and various things within the comic lent itself to this. However, after going back, despite still seeing it as I did before, I also saw it as not some par comic, but instead as a really, REALLY, bad comic. I found myself cringing at so many points within the comic. It was like Birth of a Nation in comic book form in some ways. In any case, I didn't like it reading it a second time and kind of hate it now. I still like All-Star Batman and Robin though. :D
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:Holy Terror
So I'm something of a Frank Miller fan. So when Holy Terror came out, I flipped through it and thought nothing special about it rather than hating it like everyone seemed to be doing. I saw it as a modern day take on the pro-Allied forces type comics from back in the day and various things within the comic lent itself to this. However, after going back, despite still seeing it as I did before, I also saw it as not some par comic, but instead as a really, REALLY, bad comic. I found myself cringing at so many points within the comic. It was like Birth of a Nation in comic book form in some ways. In any case, I didn't like it reading it a second time and kind of hate it now. I still like All-Star Batman and Robin though. :D

Miller's inner bigot was certainly channeled with this book. But like you said, the most offensive part of it is that it sucked so bad.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby MMelchor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 pm

X-Men: Mutant Massacre (Deluxe Hardcover)

Hadn't read all of this since I was in my teens. And there are still some moments that give me chills. (Perfect example is from Colossus: "Make peace with your Gods, little man! You are NEXT!") I still cringe at what happens to Angel down below as well, setting the stage for a change that is being felt 25+ years later.

But, in reading the hardcover, I was dumbstruck by the fact that the story really doesn't have a proper ending! They fight the Marauders a couple times, then the focus shifts to Wolverine and Sabretooth (with a guest appearance from Psylocke). What the hell happened to the rest of the X-Men and the Morlocks? And how did they get so sidetracked with just Sabretooth when so many mutants were slaughtered by the rest of the Marauders?!

I know the Marauders thread was picked up later on, but it hurts to admit I was a little disappointed in the lack of a proper ending to what was essentially the first big X-Men crossover.
MMelchor

">

Postby shark6495 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:12 pm

The death, funeral, and return of Superman TPBs. I read them as a kid and really enjoyed the fighting but that was about it. As I got older and re-read, the death moment (even if it was contrived) almost broke my heart.

Funeral for a friend was a decent return but the return book was just plain silly to me as I got older...
shark6495

Return to General Comic Chit-Chat