artists with weird costume trends

How much does your collection worth? Whose to blame for the state of the industry? Who'll win in a battle between Azrael the cat and Zabu? We don't know at the moment, but you can try and find your answer here.
">

artists with weird costume trends

Postby riv1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Saw this article, thought i'd share...

Everyone knows about Rob Liefeld and his obsession with pouches, but plenty of artists do this.

Jack Kirby: Pretty obvious right away, in that the New Gods & the Eternals clearly have the same design concepts. The Celestials, too- lots of "Lightning Bolt" lines and circles interconnecting on broad chests. The women have gigantic hair.

Steve Ditko: He was in love with green- Dr. Octopus, The Lizard, The Scorpion, The Vulture, The Sandman, Electro & The Green Goblin were all designed by him, within the span of a couple years. Insanity. I know super-villains tended towards Green & Purple thanks to the realities of colour printing back in the before-time, but WOW.

Rob Liefeld: The infamous pouches, but a thing I notice even more are the extra eye-features. He could just NOT LEAVE EYES ALONE- Cable has a scarred one and a glowing one. Shatterstar has a star tattoo. And Domino, Deadpool, Reaper & Wildside all have the same eye design for no apparent reason, despite all debuting within two issues of each other (a few developed different designs after new artists took over):

Mark Bagley: OH MY FUCK THE GOGGLES. Almost every character he designed after a point would have either glasses, a visor, or a giant set of goggles- either bulging out or going across the face. He would even re-design old characters with goggles (Justice, Firestar, Moonstone). Especially noticeable when TEAMS of guys starting showing up issue-to-issue. The New Warriors dealt with three different super-teams, all sharing common design traits:
ImageImageImage

Jim Lee: Masks with the face & hair showing, or just assorted weird shit on the head (like communication devices). I have no idea why this concept existed, but he used it ENDLESSLY within a couple years- Cyclops, Gambit, Jean Grey & The Acolytes in the X-Men books, and Spartan & Maul over at Image- I think a few other Wildcat guys did it too. He also started the whole "Bomber Jacket" thing that inundated all of comics for a couple years, but only did it full-time with a couple guys, using it as an occasional thing with Cyke.

Dave Cockrum: Long leggings on female characters- generally hip boots and shit. Well, it WAS the 1970s- check out his Legion of Super-Heroes characters, the Shi'ar Imperial Guard, and Storm's first costume and Carol Danvers as Binary.
riv1

">

Re: artists with weird costume trends

Postby riv1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Wow. If people here posted half as much as the looked, these forums would actually be....lively. Image
riv1

">

Postby shark6495 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I have never really thought too much about Costumes until you pointed that out. Holy Hell, why dont they ever change. I had almost forgotten about the Scott Summers/Cyclops looks with the hair on top as well till just now....
Thinking about it, sort of explains why groups of characters look similar.... wow... no new designs...
shark6495

">

Postby Sexton Hardcastle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I admire and respect Alex Ross's abilities, but I hate the way everyone he drew looked like they were Halloween costumes or pajamas. And his characters look middle aged and out of shape.
Sexton Hardcastle

">

Postby Rath99 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:52 am

This is pretty interesting!!
Rath99

Return to General Comic Chit-Chat