What do you like/love and dislike/hate about your LCS?

How much does your collection worth? Whose to blame for the state of the industry? Who'll win in a battle between Azrael the cat and Zabu? We don't know at the moment, but you can try and find your answer here.
">

What do you like/love and dislike/hate about your LCS?

Postby AKA Brandon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:43 pm

So I'm 99.9% sure Lori and I will be opening our own store March/April ish next year and after talking about many ideas and what we like and don't like and what we think may be a good idea or a horrible one I thought I would post this to get more opinions about possible things we should look into. So please toss out whatever you can think of that you like/love and dislike/hate about your LCS or some other stores you have been to. I would like this to be an anything goes kind of discussion since I'm 100% sure there will be many things mentioned that we didn't think of and should take into consideration. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. We have a few things that we definitely would like to try out and I'll add a post with some of them later on and would love to hear feedback about them also.

Thanks.
AKA Brandon

">

Re: What do you like/love and dislike/hate about your LCS?

Postby Rath99 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:13 pm

GOOD LUCK!!

One thing I hate about some shops is the lighting. I enjoy a bright shop. Low lighting and the dinginess of some shops makes it seem like you're shopping at a basement. Cleanliness is also important. In the past I've had to dust off long box covers and that isn't pleasant.

This might take some time but when you get to know your customers I think its cool to suggest things to read. My old shop owner would pull books for me to try with no obligation to buy if I wasn't interested. Events and sales always go a long way to help but again that might be something you do a little down the line.
Rath99

">

Postby shining knight » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:43 pm

When a loyal customer has a file with the store but said customer doesn't get a comic he should have gotten which was put on the shelve and bought by someone else...that really bugs the hell out of me
shining knight

">

Postby Arsenal » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am

shining knight wrote:When a loyal customer has a file with the store but said customer doesn't get a comic he should have gotten which was put on the shelve and bought by someone else...that really bugs the hell out of me

This happens to me at my LCS, and it does drive me nuts. I get how it happens, as my LCS puts everything on the shelf and then gets the subscriber books so if people come in and buy while they are stocking you might get missed. But it still bugs me.
Arsenal

">

Postby Demonweasel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Arsenal wrote:
shining knight wrote:When a loyal customer has a file with the store but said customer doesn't get a comic he should have gotten which was put on the shelve and bought by someone else...that really bugs the hell out of me

This happens to me at my LCS, and it does drive me nuts. I get how it happens, as my LCS puts everything on the shelf and then gets the subscriber books so if people come in and buy while they are stocking you might get missed. But it still bugs me.

That makes zero sense. I left Super-Fly before Tuesday shipping started but even when books showed up on wednesday we sat, checked that the amounts we were shipped were right and then pulled the amounts for the pulls from the total amount that we got, leaving us at the end with two long boxes: one to be put on the shelf, one to be put in customer's files. With Tuesday shipping putting books out first then pulling for customers is just unacceptable.

I mean, mistakes do happen and depending on how you keep track of people's pulls but if someone is having a consistent problem you have to put extra effort in to make it right.
Thacher E. Cleveland
http://www.demonweasel.com
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby aleams » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 pm

I love my LCS. Compared to the one back home where only the manager will ever make conversation with me. The other guys were mainly Magic the Gathering people. At Fanfare, they all love comics and each are an expert in one particular brand. So when I want to talk Spider-Man, I will always want to talk with one particular guy. They have a great model.
- Andrew L.

NEVER FORGET
aleams

">

Postby shark6495 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Having visited multiple stores, I always enjoy bright lighting. Engaging staff. Wide Selection. Someone to recommend books. Back issues are always a plus. A staff who doesnt put down a certain book. I dont mind good conversation but some stores I have visited would mock me when I would pick up a supes or X-men book.

Kid friendly stores are nice as well.
shark6495

">

Postby Arsenal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Demonweasel wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

That makes zero sense. I left Super-Fly before Tuesday shipping started but even when books showed up on wednesday we sat, checked that the amounts we were shipped were right and then pulled the amounts for the pulls from the total amount that we got, leaving us at the end with two long boxes: one to be put on the shelf, one to be put in customer's files. With Tuesday shipping putting books out first then pulling for customers is just unacceptable.

I mean, mistakes do happen and depending on how you keep track of people's pulls but if someone is having a consistent problem you have to put extra effort in to make it right.

You're not wrong about that. I always get my books on Thursday, I work late on Thursday and I read while I am there because it is normally slow. So I go in today and No Avenging Spider-Man, All New X-Men or Todd the Ugliest Kid in the world, I get that Todd sold out new Image book, who knows how many he felt comfortable ordering, but Spider-Man and X-Men? How do you under order that? Even worse I have been getting all Spider-man and almost all the x-Titles there for years.
Arsenal

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Arsenal wrote:You're not wrong about that. I always get my books on Thursday, I work late on Thursday and I read while I am there because it is normally slow. So I go in today and No Avenging Spider-Man, All New X-Men or Todd the Ugliest Kid in the world, I get that Todd sold out new Image book, who knows how many he felt comfortable ordering, but Spider-Man and X-Men? How do you under order that? Even worse I have been getting all Spider-man and almost all the x-Titles there for years.

I would not be shocked if Diamond played a role in them being sold out of Spider-Man and X-Men. In the past at my shop we have over 100 copies of one of the AvX issues come in damaged. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.
Brand New Blog!!!!: http://crackingthebooks.wordpress.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/comicgeekelly
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1168397971
Joshua wrote:There's this shirt at the mall that looks like it's been well-made, but it looks just like every other shirt out these days. It's pointless for me to spend money on something I'm only vaguely interested in, I think I'll just stuff it in my pants and walk out with it.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Good lighting
Books in Alphabetical Order
Friendly and helpful staff
Clean store. I can't tell you how many stores I've been to that don't seem to know what a fucking broom looks like.
Having some kind of valued customer perk. At Midtown Comics, if you have a pull list with them, for every $100 you spend, you get $2o put on your account which is cool. Other stores do cool incentives as well.
Maybe have events. Midtown Comics started a book of the month club where you get people to the store and talk about a particular trade which is fun.
Gaming tournaments are always popular.

Those are ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck guys. I had always thought it would be cool to do this but I just don't have the business sense you would need.
jaydee74

Return to General Comic Chit-Chat