Show us your pulls

How much does your collection worth? Whose to blame for the state of the industry? Who'll win in a battle between Azrael the cat and Zabu? We don't know at the moment, but you can try and find your answer here.
">

Show us your pulls

Postby Demonweasel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 pm

A while back I made a post on tumblrabout my comic pull file. What's getting dropped, what's getting added & what's staying and why. Let's take a look!

Every now and again you have to tweak your comic file, so here’s some of my recent changes.

Dropping:
Creator Owned Heroes - Probably going to get a trade of this as some of the short stories seem to work better in bigger parts. I love the idea of it but I feel like it just needs something more to it
Demon Knights - Fun but kind of dragging. Not to mention Paul Cornell is leaving.
Dial H - I have three issues of this sitting on the pile that I haven’t read. This may be a trade-waiter.
The Shadow - As Ennis leaves so do I.

Since then: Yeah, all these got dropped. Sad trombone about Creator Owned Heroes getting cancelled but I just wasn't feeling the stories in it & never read the extra material.

Adding:
Sword of Sorcery - Only read the zero issue but it was charming and different, despite the oft-discussed and awkward rape plot point.
Team 7 - A decent 0 issue that sets up the cast, although not a lot of story. Interested in the secret military backstory of the DCU.

Since then:: I stand by these decisions.

On the Fence:
Batwoman - The last story arc with the disjointed timelines & multiple artists nearly pushed me away but I’ve loved the Wonder Woman team-up and the return of JH Williams’ art.
Defenders - It’s ending next issue but it’s turned into this weird “I have no idea what’s going on from issue to issue story” that’s always frustrating.
Earth 2 - I’ve been getting this sporadically since it came out so I haven’t really grown attached to it but I’m very intrigued at the whole concept. Plus Nicola Scott’s art.
Worlds’ Finest - Same as above. Plus George Perez’s art.
Winter Soldier - With Brubaker about to leave my interest has begun to wane slightly.
Pigs - This was a fun series with a lot of promise that’s fallen off the face of the earth. It sort of got resolicited with a new artist but who knows if it’ll ever show back up.

Since then: The Wonder Woman appearance in Batwoman saved this book. Lots of fun, especially in the most recent issue where it was all two-page spreads and all the adds had to be pushed to the back. Way to troll, JH Williams. Defenders ended, Earth-2 & Winter Soldier I'm sticking with (although WS just barely) and Pigs remains a no-show.

To Be Checked Out
All-New X-Men: Intriguing concept. Who knows where they’ll go with it
Fantastic Four: Love Fraction & Bagley. Here’s hoping it doesn’t just descend into random weirdness
Indestructible Hulk: Mark Waid is killing it on Daredevil so why not give this a shot?
Avengers Arena: Damn the blatant “This is Battle Royale/Hunger Games” marketing, I’m kind of interested in this.
Uncanny Avengers: Still haven’t read the first issue but intrigued by the spoilers I’ve heard about it.
Avengers: Hickman could really do something interesting with a massive Avengers cast, plus Opena’s art looks amazing. Trying not to buy into Marvel NOW! too much…
Justice League of America: We’ll see what happens with this one.
Freelancers: Action-adventurey & written by the guy that wrote Darkwing Duck. Plus, the first issue is a dollar.
Scott Snyder & Jim Lee’s Superman project - Yes. Give me all of that in my face right now.

Since then: All-New X-Men, Indestructible Hulk, Avengers, Avengers Arena, Uncanny Avengers all added. Woof. My wallet kind of hates me. Fantastic Four (and FF, bought on a lark) were okay as was Thor. I think I just liked that other stuff a bit better and just can't add everything. Maybe in trades. Freelancers was just kind of okay, which made me a little sad. Potential, though.

Keeping:
Action Comics - Love Grant Morrison writing Superman. Big, science fiction stories which is exactly what the character needs. Worried about when he leaves.
Amazing Spider-Man, including Superior Spider-Man - Loved Slott’s run and willing to see what kind of crazy twists they’re going to pull in #700 & beyond.
American Vampire - One of the best horror books on the market. Kind of bummed about the hiatus.
Angel & Faith - Haven’t ever dug and Angel comic until now. Rebekah Isaacs’ art is great, hope she comes back soon.
Aquaman - Proof that if you tell a good story that plays to the core of what a character is about you’ve got a winner. Great stuff.
Atomic Robo: The Flying She-Devils of the Pacific - I’ll read anything Atomic Robo. Always.
Batgirl - Great, siler-agey Batfamily action. Really fun.
Batman - Best Batman stories in years. YEARS. Fantastic.
Batman Incorporated - I’m ready to see where this ends, even though I thought they should’ve wrapped it up pre-New 52.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Good times. I think they finally figured out how to make this work as a comic.
Captain Marvel - Fun, classic super-hero adventure. Now that the origin revisit is done let’s see where we go.
Conan the Barbarian - I like watching Conan & Belit kill stuff.
Danger Club - Peculiar, almost on the fence but very original and always keeps me guessing.
Daredevil - Pure genius. Waid & Samnee are making gold every month.
Fatale - Perhaps the best of the Brubaker/Phillips collaborations, but then again they’ve never done anything bad. Almost feel like it’d read better in trade but can’t bring myself to not get it every month.
Fury Max - Slow, harsh & visceral. In many ways the opposite of Ennis’ Punisher Max but still amazing.
Hawkeye - Like Waid & Samnee, Fraction & Aja are just amazing. Perfect storytelling.
Justice League - Some big stuff initially but I’d like to see more character work. They’re getting there, but still kind of slow-ish. Still unsure of the “it’s only ever been these 7 and they kind of don’t like each other” dynamic of the New 52
Locke & Key Omega - The final arc in this amazing series. There will be a hole in comics when they’re done.
The Manhattan Projects - So weird & bizarre in the best possible ways. Hickman at his best.
Prophet - Almost too weird at this point, but I can’t look away. SF like I’ve never seen in comics before.
Revival - This one almost begs to be read in trade since there’s so much going on, but it’s still pretty fun.
Saga - Another perfectly original & amazingly executed comic.
Saucer Country - I’m behind on this but still digging it. Offbeat & weird.
Secret - This is still coming out, right? Goddammit…
The Sixth Gun - I cannot say enough good things about this series. Horror western adventure at its best. Bunn & Hurtt make magic every month.
Stumptown - I’ll read anything Rucka, but Stumptown is just great detective stories. I hope it comes back more regularly.
Wonder Woman - Azzarello & Chiang’s heavily mythology based work is just as good as what’s going on in Aquaman. Same principle, origin changes be damned.

Since then: I'll probably drop Action out of necessity when he leaves but I love the current story. Same with the Batgirl/Gail Simone kerfuffle. Nothing against the interim guy or whoever the regular people are but I just added a lot of other stuff and failed to add more money to my bank account. This is how it works, comic companies. Prophet, Saucer Country & Revival are being moved to the "On the fence" pile. Loved Prophet but it's getting into that "too weird to figure out what happened from one issue to the next" stage. Not cool. Danger Club hasn't been solicited in a while and may get snipped if I have to go back and re-read everything to remember what happened by the time the new issue comes out.

What've you got, PoP!ulation?
Thacher E. Cleveland
http://www.demonweasel.com
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Re: Show us your pulls

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 am

Been reading:
Daredevil: End of Days
Punisher War Zone

Reading these mostly due to them being limited series and they are pretty good. When these are done I'll wander off back to mangas most likely.

Dropped:
Anything else I was reading. I've been looking at things sporadically. The monthly release schedule, the lack of definite endings and so on doesn't sit well with me anymore. That and the stories seem to be treading water a lot of times. They simply move too slow for me. It never used to bother me but now I find myself losing track of comics only to find that 5 issues have already passed from the last time I read a series or being upset with the slow pacing. Doesn't seem like it's worth the time or effort for me.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Batman25JM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:57 am

Dropping:

Teen Titans - I'm dropping this after Death of the Family. I may give it an issue or two after the event, but that's it. I've stick with it because of my love for Tim Drake (as well as Conner, Bart, and Cassie as well as the Titans as a whole), but I just can't take it anymore. These aren't the versions of the characters I love. The characters are unrecognizable. Also, the writing just plain sucks.
Uncanny Avengers - I've only read a few things by Rick Remender, but I've never really enjoyed anything by him. I haven't been enjoying this book. The art is the saving grace. I love John Cassaday. I'm going to finish this arc and then I'm gone. Cassaday is leaving after issue #5, and I'm leaving with him. Remender's writing isn't enough to keep me, and I don't like Daniel Acuna's art (he's going to be the new regular artist).

Frankly, at this point I hate the New 52 so much that I think I could drop all DC titles and I'd be fine. I'm even losing interest in the books that I was liking. It's sad because I like DC more than Marvel, but I hate what DC is doing right now. I've already dropped a ton of DC books. I was reading 33 of the New 52 books, and now I'm down to 10.

On the Fence:

Talon - This isn't a bad book, but I don't think it is necessary. I'm not really enjoying it enough to justify buying it, so I'm more than likely going to drop it.
Danger Club - I've enjoyed this book, but it's been months since it came out. With such an infrequent shipping schedule I just don't think I want to keep up with it. I'm forgetting what is happening. This might be better to get in trade.
Avengers Arena - I was okay with the first issue overall, but I did hate the ending. I'm just not sure if I want to continue on with this book. It is gimmicky, and I don't know if I want to watch a bunch of characters I like be killed off.

To Be Checked Out:

Uncanny X-Men - Bendis is killing it on All-New X-Men, and I'm excited to see what he does with this book.
Secret Avengers - Frankly, I think Nick Spencer is a bit overrated. However, I'm picking this up because I like the looks of the team. Also, Agent Coulson!!
Young Avengers - I love the Young Avengers, and even though half the old team won't in this book, I want to check it out. I hope it's good.
Fantastic Four - I'm not a Matt Fraction fan. At all. I do kind of want to check this book out because of curiosity. Also, I love Bagley's art.
Hawkeye - Again, I dislike Fraction. However, I hear so many great things, and I do like Hawkeye.

Keeping:

The Walking Dead - Love it. It's my favorite book on the shelves.
Invincible - Love this too. It's my second favorite book on the shelves.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Another of my favorite books. I'd say it's either my 3rd or 4th favorite book on the shelves.
All-New X-Men - I'm in love with this book as well. After only 3 issues it has jumped to one of my favorite books out there. It's definitely my favorite book from either of the big two. I'd say it's either my 3rd or 4th favorite book on the stands right now period.
Guarding the Globe - I'm really enjoying seeing more of these characters. Phil Hester is doing Robert Kirkman's character's justice.
Atomic Robo - I'll never not get this book. It's pure joy.
Angel & Faith - I'm not usually a fan of comics based on TV shows or movies, but this is fantastic. Christos Gage is doing a fantastic job. Also, Rebekah Isaacs's art is amazing.
Super Dinosaur - This book is a lot of fun. It's like a Saturday morning cartoon in comic form. I approve.
Batman - I'm not in love with this book like most art. I do like it for the most part though.
Batman & Robin - My interest in this book has dropped greatly recently. I'll stick with it though because I like Peter Tomasi, and I'm hopeful that I'll start liking it more again. Also, I do love Batman and Damian.
Nightwing - I wish this book was better. It's not awful, but it's pretty lackluster. My love of Nightwing will keep me buying it.
Justice League - This book is just meh. I'm sticking with it because I'm hopeful about Trinity War.
Aquaman - This is my favorite DC book at this point. Once Geoff Johns leaves I'll probably drop the book though.
Green Lantern - Like most DC books my interest has dropped in this book lately. My past love for GL and my hope that I'll start liking it more again keep me getting it. There are still things about the book I like a lot though.
Green Lantern Corps - Pretty my the same feelings about this as the main GL book.
Green Lantern: New Guardians - Frankly, I'm not enjoying this book. I'm buying it because I'm getting the other two GL books.
Smallville Season 11 - I like Smallville and I like Bryan Q. Miller. I'll read this for as long as they make it.
Scarlet Spider - I've been enjoying this book since it began. Besides the Minimum Carnage crossover this book has been consistently enjoyable.
Indestructible Hulk - I enjoyed the first issue. If it keeps up in quality then I'll keep checking it out.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 - I'm really only reading this because I'm reading Angel & Faith. This book has been disappointing. It's better than season 8 though.
Batman25JM

">

Postby shining knight » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:39 am

Lets see

Dropping

Judge dredd (IDW) yeah this series can go to hell...seriously

Green lantern: I am done with a story in which I am not getting three parts...

Sword of sorcery: I gave it my three issues its dropped

On the Fence:

Fairest: Ever since DAT shock ending of the beauty and the beast one off I have been wondering why I keep buying this...I think it may be time to go if the arc after the rapunzel one isn't spectacular

Fables: see fairest that ending which tainted two of my fave characters is really poisoning me on that series now

justice league: seriously considering quitting it and aquaman once johns is done with the upcoming story

To Be Checked Out:

Demon knights: I want to see what the new guy does but most of the fun came from cornell so we'll see...

Keeping:

Walking dead: I love this series

unwritten: the one vertigo series I constantly enjoy now

2000ad: you will have to pry this from my cold dead hands!
shining knight

">

Postby prescribeddrone » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:45 pm

I cut down so much...

Action Comics (dropping once Morrison is done)
Batman Inc (dropping once Morrison is done)
Batman

Amazing Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man
Thunderbolts
Deadpool

dropping:

Uncanny X-Force since the run is over.
prescribeddrone

">

Postby riv1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I've only started back up over the last year or so. Picked up the back issues of Justice League and Aquaman when each was at #4. Then assed Scarlet Spider and Avengers Assemble.
I really have issues with where DC was and Marvel is. I figure if i keep things to a minimum, i'll save both money and aggravation.
riv1

">

Postby Rath99 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

riv1 wrote:I really have issues with where DC was and Marvel is. I figure if i keep things to a minimum, i'll save both money and aggravation.

That's a sound plan :)
Rath99

">

Postby Demonweasel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:13 pm

I need to update mine with some changes. I'm really considering going trade only on Marvel DC stuff but I know things will get spoiled for me. Plus there is some good stuff there.
Thacher E. Cleveland
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Reading:
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batgirl
NIghtwing
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: The New Guardians
Fantastic Four
Hawkeye
Uncanny Avengers
jaydee74

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:Been reading:
Punisher War Zone

I guess I can add Thor: God of Thunder since I am enjoying this book. The story doesn't grab me and I forget that the book is out sometimes. I don't know what is going on with Daredevil (is it delayed? is it on time? I don't know) so I guess I'm not reading that one anymore.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:
Punisher War Zone

I guess I can add Thor: God of Thunder since I am enjoying this book. The story doesn't grab me and I forget that the book is out sometimes. I don't know what is going on with Daredevil (is it delayed? is it on time? I don't know) so I guess I'm not reading that one anymore.

Daredevil is on time. It is just on a normal once a month schedule. As a marvel book this causes confusion for people.
Arsenal

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:
Punisher War Zone

Daredevil is on time. It is just on a normal once a month schedule. As a marvel book this causes confusion for people.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to keep watch then. I'm mostly in it to see what exactly is going on, what daredevil meant and who this other Daredevil is.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm

With my (sort of) new found love for digital comics, it has made me rethink my pull list.

On the Fence:

Uncanny Avengers - I reread the first two issues and I liked them more this time. I may stick with this book for longer than the first arc (which is when I planned to drop it).
Batman - I want to like this book, I really do, but I just don't care. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I thought no matter what that I'd stick with it, but now I'm just not sure.
Batman & Robin - My interest in this book has fallen greatly. Like Batman, I find myself just not caring about it. Also like Batman, I thought I'd stick with it no matter what, but I'm starting to question that.
Nightwing - I've talked myself into liking this book more than I do. When I really stop and think about it, the book has been lackluster. My love for Dick Grayson has been keeping me from dropping the book, but I dropped Teen Titans and my love for Tim Drake outweighs my love for Dick Grayson. So, love of a character isn't a strong enough reason to stick with a book.
Indestructible Hulk - Technically I already dropped this book after issue 2. I liked issue 1, but issue 2 didn't do much for me. Well, I re-read both issues, and I liked them both more this time though. I may have to reconsider it, and pick it up again.
Green Lantern Corps - I'm shocked to be saying this because Tomasi on Guy Gardner has always been a win in my book, but I'm starting to wonder if I care enough to keep reading. We'll see.
Green Lantern: New Guardians - I liked this book when it started, but it has continued to lose my interest. I've continued to get it because I wanted to get all the GL books, but that's a dumb reason.

To Be Checked Out:

Uncanny X-Men - Bendis is killing it on All-New X-Men, and I'm excited to see what he does with this book.
Secret Avengers - Frankly, I think Nick Spencer is a bit overrated. However, I'm picking this up because I like the looks of the team. Also, Agent Coulson!!
Young Avengers - I love the Young Avengers, and even though half the old team won't in this book, I want to check it out. I hope it's good.
Justice League of America - I love Geoff Johns and I love Green Arrow. I'm checking this out.
Green Arrow - I may have to try this book again once Jeff Lemire come aboard.

Keeping:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Another of my favorite books. I'd say it's either my 3rd or 4th favorite book on the shelves.
All-New X-Men - I'm in love with this book as well. It's definitely my favorite book from either of the big two. I'd say it's either my 3rd or 4th favorite book on the stands right now period.
Guarding the Globe - I'm really enjoying seeing more of these characters. Phil Hester is doing Robert Kirkman's character's justice.
Angel & Faith - I'm not usually a fan of comics based on TV shows or movies, but this is fantastic. Christos Gage is doing a fantastic job. Also, Rebekah Isaacs's art is amazing.
Super Dinosaur - This book is a lot of fun. It's like a Saturday morning cartoon in comic form. I approve.
Justice League - As long as Geoff Johns is on the book I'll stick with it.
Aquaman - As long as Geoff Johns is on the book I'll stick with it.
Green Lantern - Like most DC books my interest has dropped in this book lately. My past love for GL and my hope that I'll start liking it more again keep me getting it. There are still things about the book I like a lot though.
Smallville Season 11 - I like Smallville and I like Bryan Q. Miller. I'll read this for as long as they make it.
Scarlet Spider - I've been enjoying this book since it began. Besides the Minimum Carnage crossover this book has been consistently enjoyable.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 - I'm really only reading this because I'm reading Angel & Faith. This book has been disappointing. It's better than season 8 though.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Demonweasel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 am

Dropping:
Worlds’ Finest - Dropped a while back as it was just okay. Maybe I’ll pick up trades.
Winter Soldier - This felt like it should’ve just ended with Brubaker’s run and rolled into Secret Avengers. Good luck to Latour and Klein.
Prophet - I may trade-read this one as it just turned into complete bizzaro weirdness.
Danger Club - If this ever gets solicited again I’ll think of picking it up again.

Looking over this list I’m going to have to drop some more stuff. For real.

Adding:
All-New X-Men: I’m not as head over heels about this as others are, but it’s interesting. The bi-weekly for $3.99 nonsense may have it cut pretty quickly.
Indestructible Hulk: Not as fantastic as Waid’s Daredevil but thus far fun and interesting (issue #2 aside).
Avengers Arena: Okay, you got me. Very interested to see where this ends up.
Avengers: I’m a little cautious with the bi-weekly/$3.99 again but thus far it’s been pretty good.
New Avengers: Digging the new Illuminati with the Black Panther and the tie-in to the main Avengers books with the whole “multiverse is dying” story
Young Avengers: Gillen and McKelvie hit this out of the park. I’m down for the ride.

On the Fence:
Team 7 - Like it but don’t love it. May get cut just because it hasn’t really grabbed me yet.
Batwoman - Continually on the fence. Maybe that’s a sign in and of itself, but then a Williams drawn issue hits and I’m in love again.
Earth 2 - Another DC book that just hasn’t grabbed me yet. I love the idea of telling a whole world’s story in one title but this has been very uneven so far.
Batman Incorporated - At this point I feel like I’m sticking with it just to see where it ends. Kind of don’t care anymore.
Action Comics - “On the fence” may be generous. Necessity may dictate dropping after Morrison leaves.
Revival - I dig it, but this may be a trade-read series.
Uncanny Avengers: Slow pacing and a strange first arc isn’t really helping this book. Like it, don’t love it. At $3.99 that’s not really good enough.
Sword of Sorcery - It’s okay, but needs more punch to it. Another like it don’t love it book. Too many of these from DC.

To Be Checked Out
Justice League of America: Given the state of things, they better have a damn good first issue. Weird line-up and no real reason it seems for this book to exist (aside from pushing Trinity War)
Green Arrow: I’ve heard nothing but good things from the advance reviews of this, plus Lemire is quite good. Fingers crossed.
Uncanny X-Men: I feel like I’m reading a fuck-ton of X-men books all of the sudden. Do I even care about Cyclops & co? I’m not sure.
X-Men: Love the idea of all female X-team and Wood & Coipel seem like a great team.
Fearless Defenders: I love me some Cullen Bunn, and this seems like it has a fun, original premise.
Red Team: Garth Ennis writing dirty cops? I’m listening
Secret Avengers: Spencer seems hit or miss sometimes but this line-up and premise is spot on.
The Wake: This is going to be so good I don't think I can wait for the trade
Helheim: More Bunn goodness. Vikings and zombies and witches and violence. Yes please more.
East of West: Hickman is on fire with his creator owned Image books, so this is a no brainer

Keeping:
Superior Spider-Man - Not exactly loving it, but want to see where it goes.
American Vampire - On hiatus. Enternal sadness
Angel & Faith - Haven’t ever dug and Angel comic until now. Rebekah Isaacs’ art is great, hope she comes back soon.
Aquaman - Proof that if you tell a good story that plays to the core of what a character is about you’ve got a winner. Great stuff.
Atomic Robo - Hopefully a new series will be out soon.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Good times. I think they finally figured out how to make this work as a comic.
Captain Marvel - Fun, classic super-hero adventure. Now that the origin revisit is done let’s see where we go.
Fatale - Perhaps the best of the Brubaker/Phillips collaborations, but then again they’ve never done anything bad. Almost feel like it’d read better in trade but can’t bring myself to not get it every month.
Fury Max - Slow, harsh & visceral. In many ways the opposite of Ennis’ Punisher Max but still amazing.
Hawkeye - Like Waid & Samnee, Fraction & Aja are just amazing. Perfect storytelling.
Justice League - Some big stuff initially but I’d like to see more character work. They’re getting there, but still kind of slow-ish. Still unsure of the “it’s only ever been these 7 and they kind of don’t like each other” dynamic of the New 52
Locke & Key Omega - The final arc in this amazing series. There will be a hole in comics when they’re done.
The Manhattan Projects - So weird & bizarre in the best possible ways. Hickman at his best.
The Massive - Brian Wood’s realistic post-climate crisis adventure story. Deep and intense, but I dig it
Saucer Country - I’m behind on this but still digging it. Offbeat & weird.
The Sixth Gun - I cannot say enough good things about this series. Horror western adventure at its best. Bunn & Hurtt make magic every month.
Stumptown - Hopefully there will be more Stumptown soon. Like Atomic Robo, a must buy every time there’s a new series.
Wonder Woman - Azzarello & Chiang’s heavily mythology based work is just as good as what’s going on in Aquaman. Same principle, origin changes be damned.

So. Many. Comics. I bought into Marvel NOW hard. Way harder than I thought. It's good stuff, for the most part, but I have to wonder how many of these I'll fall off of like I did with the DC New52 stuff. So many DC books are "good not great" and that's so depressing. Add in all the creator owned stuff that's coming out I really have to wonder how sustainable my comic habit is going to be if I don't get that new day job. There's a fair amount of stuff that I'm like "Oh, I'll trade wait that" but some of that stuff is coming up now and I'm just not going to be able to get it. There were a handful of books like Wolverine & the X-Men that I like that are bi-weekly/$3.99 that I'd love to get but are just too expensive.

Sometimes laying stuff out like this is just depressing.
Thacher E. Cleveland
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Still Reading Reading:
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batgirl
NIghtwing
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Hawkeye
Dropping:
Fantastic Four
Uncanny Avengers
Picking Up:
X-Men (The All-Female Group)
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Dropping:

Uncanny Avengers - I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like this book. I'll finish the arc, but then I'm out.

On the Fence:

Nightwing - I've already dropped all of the other Batman family books. I'm holding on to this one because of my love for Nightwing. We'll see how long that lasts since I like Tim Drake more and yet I dropped Teen Titans.
Green Lantern - With Geoff Johns leaving odds are I'll drop it. The only way I'd stay is if they put Tomasi on it. If they did I'd give it a shot.
Green Lantern Corps - Once Tomasi leaves I'll probably be dropping this book. I don't think there's anyone the could put on this book that I'd be happy with.
Green Lantern: New Guardians - I was already going to be dropping this, and with Tony Bedard leaving I think that would be a good time. The only way I'd stay is if they put someone I like on it, but I can't think of anyone I'd want.
Young Avengers - I thought the first issue was decent enough, but I had some problems with it. I'll give it a few more issues to see what happens. The art was amazing though.
Scarlet Spider - I've been enjoying this book since it began, but I find that I'm not overly excited about it anymore. I just read the last two issues and I did not care for them at all. Add that to the fact that I didn't enjoy the Minimum Carnage story and I think it may be time to drop the book.

To Be Checked Out:

Justice League of America - I love Geoff Johns and I love Green Arrow. I'm checking this out.
Guardians of the Galaxy - I'm not super familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and frankly I don't care about them. However, I love Bendis so I'll check it out. Also, Steve McNiven on art is a bonus.

Keeping:

All-New X-Men - I'm in love with this book as well. It's definitely my favorite book from either of the big two. I'd say it's either my 3rd or 4th favorite book on the stands right now period.
Uncanny X-Men - Bendis nailed the first issue. As long as he's on the book I'll read it.
Secret Avengers - While I do think Nick Spencer is overrated, I liked the first issue well enough, and I love the team. Unless anything major happens to turn me off, I'll stick with the book for a while.
Green Arrow - Jeff Lemire's first issue was pretty good even though it wasn't really treading any new ground. I'll give the book a while and see what happens.
Black Beetle: No Way Out - I loved the first issue. I'm in for this series. If it continues with this quality I hope we get more.
Daredevil: End of Days - Mark Waid's run just wasn't for me. I don't like the way he portrays DD. This book on the other hand is great. It's exactly what i want out of a DD book.
Last edited by Batman25JM on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batman25JM

">

Postby THALASTDRAGON » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 am

This is my most current list. A couple series have yet to start and some are set to end as they're either a miniseries or getting cancelled. A few of these are on the chopping block as well.

Marvel:
All-New X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
Avengers
Avenging Spider-Man
Cable and X-Force
Captain America
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Fearless Defenders
Gambit
Hawkeye
Indestructible Hulk
Iron Man
Journey Into Mystery
New Avengers
Nova
Secret Avengers
Superior Spider-Man
Thor: God of Thunder
Thunderbolts
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Force
Uncanny X-Men
Winter Soldier
Wolverine and the X-Men
X-Men

Image:
The Activity
Comeback
East of West
Invincible
Mind the Gap
Shinku
Spawn
Thief of Thieves
Walking Dead (TPB)
Witchblade

Boom!:
Freelancers

Dark Horse:
Colder
Ghost

DC:
Batgirl
Batman
Batwing
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Detective Comics
I, Vampire
Supergirl

IDW:
Cobra Files
Ghostbusters
G.I. Joe
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
G.I. Joe: Special Missions
Judge Dredd
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
http://www.comicbooklegends.blogspot.com

Pull-list:
Marvel: All-New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Cable and X-Force, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, Fearless Defenders, Gambit, Hawkeye, Indestructible Hulk, Iron Man, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, Nova, Secret Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Thor: God of Thunder, Thunderbolts, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny X-Men, Winter Soldier, Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men

Image: The Activity, Comeback, East of West, Invincible, Mind the Gap, Shinku, Spawn, Thief of Thieves, Walking Dead (TPB), Witchblade

Boom!: Freelancers

Dark Horse: Colder, Ghost

DC: Batgirl, Batman, Batwing, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Detective Comics, I Vampire, Supergirl

IDW: Cobra Files, Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, G.I. Joe: Special Missions, Judge Dredd, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
THALASTDRAGON

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Dropping Daredevil: End of Days and adding Avengers and New Avengers (damn you Marvel for roping me in like this - I hate you so much). Daredevil is not a bad book. There's just not a lot going on to keep my attention and I don't want to add it to the list and never pick it up (like I've done with some issues mostly because I forgot I was reading them to begin with). I'll probably pick up Green Lantern. Last time I read it, Simon had just gotten away from the Justice League. Of course I've missed some issues before that point too so I'm all over the place and rather lost. :lol:
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Demonweasel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:26 pm

So many good comics coming out. I'm kind of lucky I got a raise a couple of weeks ago. Between this and paying for comics I'm making I'm still at the same level of broke though. Let's run through it, changes in italics

Dropping:
Team 7 - Getting cancelled so out it goes.
Action Comics - The recent news definitely pushes this out of my inbox. Tony Daniel writing? No thanks...
Sword of Sorcery - Same as Team 7
Revival - Going to trades for this.
Earth 2 - Don't really love it so off it goes.
Justice League of America: Didn't really enjoy the first issue
Secret Avengers: Didn't care for the first issue and the REDACTED scene was just off-putting. Too many attempts at layers on layers and it just came off weird.
Vibe: Read that first issue and thought it was just mediocre. I'm not too worried I'll have to eat a shoe ;)

Adding:
Batman And...: I didn't read this at first because I didn't want yet another Batman book to read, but with Inc being so bland and Batman going to a 11-part flashback story and this becoming more of a team-up book with Bat family members (the reason I wanted to read Inc in the first place) I'm down. Plus #18 was stellar.

On the Fence:
Batwoman - Continually on the fence. Maybe that’s a sign in and of itself, but then a Williams drawn issue hits and I’m in love again.
Batman Incorporated - Sticking this through to the end. Not entirely thrilled about it.
Uncanny Avengers: So on the fence. You get one more issue with the new members, and it better be great.
Uncanny X-Men: Wasn't wild about the first issue and about to buy 2 to see if I like it better.
Indestructible Hulk: It's been fun but not Daredevil great, which seems a little unfair. I feel like it needs a big story to hook me in. It's been a lot of just intros and one-off villain fights thus far.
Wolverine & the X-Men: So many X books! So many of them good (like the revamped Avengers franchise). I read this off and on, really really loving Bradshaws art & I get wicked bummed when I see he isn't drawing an issue. But they also have really good stuff in it. *sigh* Do I dare add another X-book with the Wood/Coipel one around the corner?

To Be Checked Out
X-Men: Love the idea of all female X-team and Wood & Coipel seem like a great team.
Uber: Gillen doing fantasy in a WW2 setting? Okay, this could be cool.
Constantine: I'm willing to give this a shot

Keeping:
All-New X-Men: This is still pretty fun. But $8 a month? sigh
American Vampire - On hiatus. Enternal sadness
Aquaman - This may go quick when Johns leaves
Atomic Robo - Hopefully a new series will be out soon.
Avengers: New Universe. NEW UNIVERSE! I really dig Hickman's cosmic stuff. Here's hoping it stays on track.
Avengers Arena: Despite the wholesale carnage and cash grabbing concept it's really well done and a lot of fun
Young Avengers: So great. Goofy and weird but I'm ready to see where it goes.
New Avengers: Love it. Fun secret stuff
East of West: Hickman is on fire with his creator owned Image books, so this is a no brainer
Fearless Defenders: While the art is a little up and down it gets better page by page. Fun stuff.
Green Arrow: Really dig this. Blowing up the flawed, weird aspects of what hamstrung this at launch was brilliant. DC needs to cancel less stuff and do this with their classic characters.
Helheim: Slow start but lots of potential. Excited to find out it was an ongoing.
The Massive - Brian Wood’s realistic post-climate crisis adventure story. Deep and intense, but I dig it
Red Team: Glad to see good Garth Ennis show up here. Slow, tense and with depth. Dig it.
Saucer Country - I'm actually holding off on reading this until it ends.
The Wake: This is going to be so good I don't think I can wait for the trade
Thacher E. Cleveland
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm

On the Fence:

Nightwing - I've already dropped all of the other Batman family books. I'm holding on to this one because of my love for Nightwing. We'll see how long that lasts since I like Tim Drake more and yet I dropped Teen Titans.
Young Avengers - I thought the first issue was decent enough, but I had some problems with it. I didn't care much for the second issue. I may get the third issue, but I haven't decided yet. I will say that the art is amazing. \
Scarlet Spider - I've been enjoying this book since it began, but I find that I'm not overly excited about it anymore. I just read the last two issues and I did not care for them at all. Add that to the fact that I didn't enjoy the Minimum Carnage story and I think it may be time to drop the book.

Adding:

Wolverine & The X-Men - I read the first issue when it debuted, but I didn't like it all that much. I recently re-read that issue as well as issues #2-8 thanks to the Marvel Unlimited service. I liked them. So, I went and bout issues #25 and #26. I like the book. I'm not in love with it, but it's fun. I'm going to keep getting it for now.
Avengers Arena - I got the first issue when it debuted. I liked it okay, but I wasn't in love with it, so I dropped it. I re-read it the other night and enjoyed it again. I think I'm going to try and catch up.
Thor: God of Thunder - I read the first issue thanks to the free first issues on Comixology. I freaking LOVED it. I'm definitely picking up more.

Keeping:

Uncanny X-Men - Bendis nailed the first issue. As long as he's on the book I'll read it.
Guardians of the Galaxy - I'm not super familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and frankly I don't care about them. However, I love Bendis so I checked out the 0.1 issue. I loved it. I'll be get the book for as long as Bendis writes it. Also, Steve McNiven on art is a bonus.
Justice League of America - I liked the first issue, but the second issue left me wanting. I'll stick with it for now though.
Secret Avengers - While I do think Nick Spencer is overrated, I liked the first issue well enough, and I love the team. Unless anything major happens to turn me off, I'll stick with the book for a while.
Green Arrow - Jeff Lemire's first issue was pretty good even though it wasn't really treading any new ground. I LOVED his second issue though. I'll stick with the book for the foreseeable future.
Black Beetle: No Way Out - I loved the first issue. I'm in for this series. If it continues with this quality I hope we get more.
Daredevil: End of Days - Mark Waid's run just wasn't for me. I don't like the way he portrays DD. This book on the other hand is great. It's exactly what i want out of a DD book.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:52 am

jaydee74 wrote:Still Reading Reading:
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batgirl
NIghtwing
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Hawkeye
Dropping:
Fantastic Four
Uncanny Avengers
Picking Up:
X-Men (The All-Female Group)

Reading:
Batman & Robin
Batgirl
NIghtwing
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Vibe
Hawkeye
Fantastic Four
On The Fence:
Batman
jaydee74

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:Dropping Daredevil: End of Days and adding Avengers and New Avengers (damn you Marvel for roping me in like this - I hate you so much). Daredevil is not a bad book. There's just not a lot going on to keep my attention and I don't want to add it to the list and never pick it up (like I've done with some issues mostly because I forgot I was reading them to begin with). I'll probably pick up Green Lantern. Last time I read it, Simon had just gotten away from the Justice League. Of course I've missed some issues before that point too so I'm all over the place and rather lost. :lol:

I never did pick up Green Lantern. I'm just reading New Avengers now. Somewhere along the way I lost track of Avengers and missed an issue or two (or three) and I can't be bothered to go back and check. I sporadically look at other things, but don't follow them. At this rate I'll be back to reading nothing again and spending my time playing/modding video games. :lol:
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby prescribeddrone » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:35 am

BUMP

Amazing-Spider-Man
Deadpool
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

"Mini's/for a few issues"

Spider-Man 2099 (For Spider-Verse)
Avengers & X-Men: AXIS
Spider-Verse Team-Up (3 issue tie-in)