How to turn a comic to a movie/tv show?

How much does your collection worth? Whose to blame for the state of the industry? Who'll win in a battle between Azrael the cat and Zabu? We don't know at the moment, but you can try and find your answer here.
">

How to turn a comic to a movie/tv show?

Postby Spider_Fan14 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 pm

How do they do it? I really want to know if I ever wanna make my own comic and make a movie of it later.
Spider_Fan14

">

Re: How to turn a comic to a movie/tv show?

Postby D-Rock » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Spider_Fan14 wrote:How do they do it? I really want to know if I ever wanna make my own comic and make a movie of it later.

Write a screenplay. Then pitch it to a producer. That's my guess.
D-Rock

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Just have a look at what Mark Millar does. He pretty much writes most of his comics for the sole purpose of using them as movie pitches. :x
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Strider » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:Just have a look at what Mark Millar does. He pretty much writes most of his comics for the sole purpose of using them as movie pitches. :x

Take a lesson from Millar and do this, just don't insult your intended audience along the way.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Spider_Fan14 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 am

Strider wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:Just have a look at what Mark Millar does. He pretty much writes most of his comics for the sole purpose of using them as movie pitches. :x

Take a lesson from Millar and do this, just don't insult your intended audience along the way.

I never really read any of the movie pitch era Millar books, are they that bad?
Spider_Fan14

">

Postby Larry Joe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Step 1: Make a comic
Step 2: Make a movie and/or TV show of the comic
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit
Larry Joe

">

Postby Strider » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Spider_Fan14 wrote:
Strider wrote:

I felt like Kick-Ass was essentially six issues of Millar shitting on the people buying the comic.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 am

Spider_Fan14 wrote:
Strider wrote:

I'm reading Supercrooks at the moment and actually am finding it quite good but it's pretty much just a rip-off of Ocean's 11. On the other hand I started getting Secret Service and I hate it. Which pretty much sums up most of Millar's work for me - hit and miss and mostly miss. And both those comics are co-plotted by movie directors so all they are are movie pitches which for some reason really annoys the shit out of me.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby THALASTDRAGON » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 am

I figure it's usually execs see something in a property and want to make it a film/tv show. Creators could be pitching it as well. Some books translate well and some, as someone posted, seem to be created for that purpose. I hope it's not a habit as to cheapen the medium.
http://www.comicbooklegends.blogspot.com

Pull-list:
Marvel: All-New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Cable and X-Force, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, Fearless Defenders, Gambit, Hawkeye, Indestructible Hulk, Iron Man, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, Nova, Secret Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Thor: God of Thunder, Thunderbolts, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny X-Men, Winter Soldier, Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men

Image: The Activity, Comeback, East of West, Invincible, Mind the Gap, Shinku, Spawn, Thief of Thieves, Walking Dead (TPB), Witchblade

Boom!: Freelancers

Dark Horse: Colder, Ghost

DC: Batgirl, Batman, Batwing, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Detective Comics, I Vampire, Supergirl

IDW: Cobra Files, Ghostbusters, G.I. Joe, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, G.I. Joe: Special Missions, Judge Dredd, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
THALASTDRAGON

Return to General Comic Chit-Chat