Checked Out a Random Comic Shop....

How much does your collection worth? Whose to blame for the state of the industry? Who'll win in a battle between Azrael the cat and Zabu? We don't know at the moment, but you can try and find your answer here.
">

Checked Out a Random Comic Shop....

Postby shark6495 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 pm

I recently moved. I now live down in the Fairfield/Cincy area. I am a good hour+ away from Superfly comics. I thought, hey there is a local shop nearby in Fairfield located on Dixie Highway (I will not name this shop). I walked in and.... totally unimpressed. All along the outside walls are books and its split by company. I couldnt figure out which books were new and which books were 3 weeks old. Then in the middle of the store were about 80 long boxes of books, sort of alphabetized... I say sort of because it was more grouped by hero and the hero's names were organized alphabetically. The book's were sort of confusing but I guess it would eventually become easy to follow the crazy flow ? Maybe not...
Well then this brings me to my biggest beef. I walked in with money in my pocket to spend. I had not picked up a book in a few months and from listening to the superfly/pop casts has made me want to get this AvX crossover event. The guy who worked there said hello to me (he was on the phone). Then the guy went at stood behind the counter (by the register) and talked loudly on the phone. While I was in the store he continued to talk about how the other people in the store are incompetent. How he couldnt trust any of the other people because they offer weird discounts. Then he talked about how much of a pain C2E2 is/will be. This man has completely made me hate his store. I got the impression he was a manager or owner of the store. This is the stores 2nd location. The store has another location located off of Montgomery Rd. I will probably never step foot in either of these stores again.

First I want to say Dear Superfly Comics, I am sorry for even thinking of spending money at an inferior store and at a store who does not cherish its customers.
Secondly, this is the type of store that would be crushed by the release of digital comics. Digital comics can make everyone lots of money, but when a store cant take 3 minutes to talk to a potential new customer, they not only lose potential business but potential dollars. This place totally sucked. What makes it worse is that I have my Superfly comics experience to compare it to. All I can say is that this store has made me want to buy digital comics (if they are cheaper), or just swing 45 minutes out of my way to experience the Superfly Comics experience.....
shark6495

">

Re: Checked Out a Random Comic Shop....

Postby dmahoney » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:52 am

I 100% believe that there is no store out there who wants to sell you things you'll love more than Super-Fly.
dmahoney

">

Postby Sexton Hardcastle » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:26 am

My son and I will be stopping by Superfly today. The only Cincinnati comic store I know of is Queen City and I've only been there once. I know of a few in Dayton but Super-Fly is still tops. Yellow Springs is a nice town to spend the day in as well.
Sexton Hardcastle

">

Postby potatojoe » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 pm

As someone who lives near Cincy I'll advise checking out Up, Up and away. Cool shop run by cool folks. They even host a trivia contest every Thursday at the local pub.

If you wanna travel to the good side of the river (Northern Kentucky) Check out Comics to games. Lots of great stuff there.

Lastly, Comic Book World is place to see as well. It's family owned and I've been going there for years. The owner, Paul, is a great guy and will talk your ear off about everything and anything,
potatojoe

">

Postby shark6495 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:25 am

I used to go to Comic Book World when it was located in the spot now being run by Up Up and Away. I have not been to the Comic Book World in NKY . I have also been to Rockin Roosters (run by the former manager of Comic Book World). I guess I should check out Up Up and Away since its over by my parents house. But then again, the idea was to find a cool local shop not drive 45-55 mins haha...
shark6495

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 pm

shark6495 wrote:All along the outside walls are books and its split by company. I couldnt figure out which books were new and which books were 3 weeks old. Then in the middle of the store were about 80 long boxes of books, sort of alphabetized... I say sort of because it was more grouped by hero and the hero's names were organized alphabetically. The book's were sort of confusing but I guess it would eventually become easy to follow the crazy flow ?

I always thought this was normal. Most places I've been two (admittedly all 3 of them) were like this. :? :lol:
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:
shark6495 wrote:All along the outside walls are books and its split by company. I couldnt figure out which books were new and which books were 3 weeks old. Then in the middle of the store were about 80 long boxes of books, sort of alphabetized... I say sort of because it was more grouped by hero and the hero's names were organized alphabetically. The book's were sort of confusing but I guess it would eventually become easy to follow the crazy flow ?

I always thought this was normal. Most places I've been two (admittedly all 3 of them) were like this. :? :lol:

Again it wouldnt be so bad if there were little tags that said "new this week" or just new... or if the new were in one area in the company area. But there were variants/second printings/first printings of the same book side by side by side... it was just a bit over whelming. I guess if I took the time I could figure out which book was new and which was old (they are numbered) but I like the idea of walking to a wall or seeing a tag that says "new" so I know where to look...
shark6495

">

Postby ZombieNightingale » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 pm

I would take that comic shop experience over the one I had when I first got to IL on leave. I emailed the PoP Princesses about it after it happened too. I had never gone into a shop an been treated like a "girl". I had heard about how some shops aren't friendly to female readers but this was the first time I actually had to deal with one. I was going around looking for Lock & Key Trades so I wouldn't have to order them online and have them shipped to my place in Germany. So I went into the shop and looked around myself first, but couldn't find it. I went to the register and waited over 5 minutes for the guys to move away from the register so I could ask the guy that worked there about the trade. He asked me what I needed and I asked him if they had any of the trades in stock. He looks on the computer and says they only have the 2nd one (I refuse to buy the trade in the middle, I try to go from start to finish). So I tell him thanks and I was about to walk away when he starts talking about all the trades on the computer and how some times the distributors will make "special covers". After listening to him talk for 15 minutes and trying to be nice myself I finally interrupted him and said yes I knew that there are such thing as different covers and that they are call variant covers. I explained to him that yes some stories are only one shots too. After I finally got a few words in he finally stopped and looked at me like, "you know about comic books!" After that I just left. Also, as I turned to leave 99% of the guys in the store had been staring at me. It just felt weird.

If I ever go on leave here again I will not be going back into that shop.
ZombieNightingale

">

Postby Demonweasel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 am

I'm not sure Tony still does it this way but I'm a firm believer in racking company books together (grouped by like titles: Spider-Mans together, Avengers & Bat family titles together, etc) and then racking non-Big 2 books by sort-of by genre like a bookstore (horror, science fiction, zombies, licensed books, etc). I'm a also a big believer in the dedicated section for this week's new arrivals. Yes, it takes up more space and you have to move everything each week but I know that as a customer I appreciate not going on a store-wide wild goose chase for books with "new this week" signs on them, since I would always end up missing something.
Thacher E. Cleveland
http://www.demonweasel.com
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 pm

I like how my LCS does their groupings.

On the new release well all thebooks are grouped by Family (I.E Batman, X-Men, Avengers) and then everything is alphabetical. So it would be all the Avengers books, then Batman books, followed by non grouped books for a bit until you get to the X-men books.

It's a very simple set up and makes it so easy to find what I want.
Arsenal

Return to General Comic Chit-Chat