Dallas Comic Con

Any information about upcoming conventions and events will be featured here. Have you booked a hotel room yet?
">

Re: Dallas Comic Con

Postby Joshua » Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am

I'm stressing out about money so my appearance for even a day is now questionable, but I'm going to go ahead and pay some bills ahead of time and I'll see if I have any kind of a surplus this month to make the con.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Spazzy » Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 am

dont need you stressing :(
Spazzy

">

Postby superdoug » Thu May 19, 2011 10:38 am

We're planning on going both days, as it's been a while since we've been to a convention. We fooled around and didn't get advance tickets, so we're going early on Saturday to stand in line. So, I'll be the really tall older guy near the front of the line outside. (I'll either be wearing a Bizarro shirt or a Captain Hammer shirt, as I've yet to purchase a PoP!ulation shirt.)

Attendance on Sunday is really pursuant to how well I do at getting the art I want on Saturday. If anyone gets in early via advance tickets, I'm REALLY wanting an Amanda Conner sketch in my Supergirl book, and I know she'll fill up fast, so any aid in that arena would be highly appreciated.

Con buddies are always appreciated, as the BF likes to prowl the vendor's booths, usually leaving me to wander the artists' section by myself.
superdoug

">

Postby Joshua » Sat May 21, 2011 11:27 am

Just spoke with Vikoros. The plan is to meet at Crystal's Pizza at 6:30 tonight. 930 W Airport Fwy Irving, TX 75062. There will be a pizza buffet/salad bar ($7 or $8, I think), a cartoon theater, the library from Clue, and a fucking MAGICIAN. Be there or be a fucking asshole.

Prepare for awesomeness.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Spazzy » Sat May 21, 2011 11:55 am

I'm gonna be a fucking asshole since I have a wedding to go to tonight at 5.. OH WELL
Spazzy

">

Postby Joshua » Sat May 21, 2011 11:48 pm

I haven't even been to the con yet, but this con rules. Crystal's ended up being kind of shitty, and not in the fun way it should be shitty. However, Dallas invited me to come back to play board games with his friends, the game rules, and they're going to let me crash in their hotel room so I don't have to make that long drive home. Tomorrow I get to see Spazzy and Chad.

Best rapture ever.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby vikoros » Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 am

Just posted some of the sketches and commissions I picked up at the con over on my blog: http://144publishing.blogspot.com/2011/05/dallas-comic-convention-sketches.html

Overall, I was pretty happy with the con, though I was a bit disappointed with the vendors (they just didn't have much variety when it came to busts and statues... and what they did have was over-priced). It was awesome to get to meet Spazzy and Superdoug at the con, and I had a lot of fun hanging out with Joshua at Crystal's Pizza... he even slipped his way into bed with one of my buddies after we all filled up with about 40 lbs worth of snack cakes and lemonade.

Not sure if I'll make it back for the fall show in October, but I'll probably try again next spring.
vikoros

">

Postby Spazzy » Fri May 27, 2011 7:23 am

DALLAS COOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Spazzy

">

Postby Joshua » Fri May 27, 2011 8:48 am

Spazzy wrote:DALLAS COOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Texas: Home of sexy nerds.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Picture time!

Playing an awesome board game with Vikoros and company.

"These muffins are bitchin'."

The game's progression...

Hurling ice water on Vikoros' friend, Jefferson.

Hanging out with Jimmy Palmiotti for a couple of hours.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby vikoros » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

How did I miss seeing these until now?

Great pics!
vikoros

">

Postby vikoros » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Well... it's been about 8 months or so. I think it's time I gave up on ever getting the sketch I paid for at the con. It makes me sad. I was really looking forward to it, too. I paid for a sketch from Amber Jackson, but she didn't have time to finish it at the con and said she'd send it to me once it was finished. I really liked her chibi-style characters, so I ordered a Ms. Marvel from her. Oh well. No response to my emails. Guess I'm out 15 bucks. Lesson learned: only pay for sketches if they're going to complete them by the end of the con.
vikoros

">

Postby Rath99 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:00 pm

vikoros wrote:Well... it's been about 8 months or so. I think it's time I gave up on ever getting the sketch I paid for at the con. It makes me sad. I was really looking forward to it, too. I paid for a sketch from Amber Jackson, but she didn't have time to finish it at the con and said she'd send it to me once it was finished. I really liked her chibi-style characters, so I ordered a Ms. Marvel from her. Oh well. No response to my emails. Guess I'm out 15 bucks. Lesson learned: only pay for sketches if they're going to complete them by the end of the con.

I've had situations at cons where I've paid for sketches that were sent to me after the con. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem getting my sketches from the artist. I guess it comes down to the character of the artist. Sorry
Rath99

">

Postby Spazzy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Rath99 wrote:
vikoros wrote:Well... it's been about 8 months or so. I think it's time I gave up on ever getting the sketch I paid for at the con. It makes me sad. I was really looking forward to it, too. I paid for a sketch from Amber Jackson, but she didn't have time to finish it at the con and said she'd send it to me once it was finished. I really liked her chibi-style characters, so I ordered a Ms. Marvel from her. Oh well. No response to my emails. Guess I'm out 15 bucks. Lesson learned: only pay for sketches if they're going to complete them by the end of the con.

I've had situations at cons where I've paid for sketches that were sent to me after the con. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem getting my sketches from the artist. I guess it comes down to the character of the artist. Sorry

Yeah I would still try and contact them.
Spazzy

">

Postby Rath99 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Yeah Spazzy knows what it's like to pay for a commission and not get it ;)
Rath99

">

Postby Spazzy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:26 pm

Hell yes I do.. The only problem with that one was, he spent all the money and couldnt "afford" to ship the damn thing.. Can you believe that was a year ago? SHIT!

The only way I finally got my piece was I threaten legal action.. I had one of my lawyer friends write up something and I sent it to him. He got super pissed at me for not being patient.. I was totally patient!! He LIED to me! AGHSDFKAJSDFK

Anyway.. keep trying!!!
Spazzy

">

Postby mchampion » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 am

potatojoe wrote:...and while your at it, give the BBOA some shit for Amanda and me. 8-)

I saw that!
-Michael S. Champion
http://www.michaelchampion.net
Epic Studios
Writer/Artist - Zombies of Sherwood
Writer/Artist - The Crusade
mchampion

">

Postby vikoros » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Val Kilmer? Val KILMER!!!!!!

In other news, I waited too long to get an independent press table. Now I have to wait and hope that there are still some available on Feb. 14th.
vikoros

">

Postby Joshua » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:44 am

I'll definitely be at the May show this year, hopefully for both days this time. I'd be down for splitting a room.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby vikoros » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 am

Sounds good to me. It'll probably just be Clint and me this time. I don't think Jefferson wants to get hit with a bucket of ice water again.
vikoros

">

Postby superdoug » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 am

So, this morning I go to get my VIP tickets for the show, only to find out that two months before, they're completely sold out.

General Admission sucks balls at DCC -- you literally don't get to do anything but wander the floor.

If anyone knows of someone who's unable to go and looking to offload their VIP tickets, send them my way.
superdoug

">

Postby Spazzy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:55 am

Amanda and Jimmy cancelled.. Makes me sad :(
Spazzy

">

Postby Joshua » Mon May 14, 2012 9:43 am

What's the word? Anyone going to Dallas Comic Con?
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Spazzy » Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 am

yup yup
Spazzy

">

Postby vikoros » Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 am

Wish I could. Wasn't able to get a table, and I can really only afford to go to one con per year right now. I'm gonna try to hit Fan Days in the fall...

I know... I'm lame.
vikoros

PreviousNext

Return to Conventions and Events