Star Wars Novels

From Moby Dick to King Lear, from Frankenstein to Curious George; this forum is their home.
">

Re: Star Wars Novels

Postby Strider » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 am

Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Mau
l

This was interesting, especially in light of the revelation that he is returning in the Clone Wars cartoon. I thought it blended very well with not only what we previously knew about Maul, but also the more recent additions to Maul's lore.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby jaydee74 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:58 pm

I listened to Darth Plaegus and that was freaking awesome. I loved the story and the reveals and just everything about it. Wow. Palpatine was really thinking ahead when it came to his overall achievements. Very awesome.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Strider wrote:I finished Star Wars: Darth Plagueis.

It was one of the best EU books I've ever read. It will definately change the way I think about the Phantom Menace from here on out.

Actually, it's not considered an EU book. The Lucas team had a hand in making this book so it's considered cannon.
jaydee74

">

Postby Strider » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 pm

jaydee74 wrote:
Strider wrote:I finished Star Wars: Darth Plagueis.

It was one of the best EU books I've ever read. It will definately change the way I think about the Phantom Menace from here on out.

Actually, it's not considered an EU book. The Lucas team had a hand in making this book so it's considered cannon.

Anything outside of the six films is considered EU, regardless of Lucasfilm input.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Interesting. Didn't know that.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 am

jaydee74 wrote:Interesting. Didn't know that.

They whole Lucas Canon gets weird. But it basically goes

6 Movies G- Canon
The Cartoons T-Canon
Books/Games approved by Lucas -C Canon

it is a weird set up and I used to know more about it but as time went on I stoped caring about what as true canon and what wasn't.

Especially as the Clone Wars Cartoon re-wrote all that was established for the last decade about clone troopers and Mandalorians.

Back in the day I was a huge Star Wars nerd, I mean huge huge. I knew everything about it. Then came college, I missed 80% of the Vong books and I am perfectly fine just being a semi-rabid fan.
Arsenal

">

Postby Denim » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 am

Just started reading the 3rd Darth Bane book.
Denim

">

Postby Strider » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Arsenal wrote:it is a weird set up and I used to know more about it but as time went on I stoped caring about what as true canon and what wasn't.

Yeah, I pretty much love anything Star Wars....regardless of the fact that GL loves to change things!

Strider

">

Postby vikoros » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

I have about 100 pages left on Star Wars - Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse. I'm really ready for Aboleth to go away forever. Can't stand the "character." Also... with only 1/4th of the book left, I had really hoped that something big would have happened by now.

I guess I'll just have to see if it delivers more tonight.
vikoros

">

Postby Arsenal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Just finished it and let me say I was not blow away by it. The biggest issue was Aboleth. I thought it is cool that she is directly linked to one of the better Clone Wars Cartoon episodes but overall she did nothing for me and was not really much of a threat honestly, I mean they talked her up but she really didn't do anything. For a world destroying superpower she was pretty boring. The Sith were the best part of this even if they were supposed to be nothing but the distraction. Vestara also got annoying here. I think for the most part this series went too long and they wrote them selves into a corner.

Overall I liked the series but this last book really didn't do a lot for me.

Wonder what is next. Hopefully they go back to being smaller series I miss the one book stories and a trilogy at the most.
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:00 pm

I want this book:
jaydee74

">

Postby vikoros » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 am

I was really unimpressed with the ending of the Fate of the Jedi series. I don't want to spoil anything, but it almost felt pointless. This series could have been so much more... especially with the potential ties to the Legacy comic book series. There was so much they could have done with it, and in the end it just sort of fell flat. I was really disappointed with Luke's... umm.. "Helper" that showed up at the end of the book. It didn't make any sense at all. Basically, it left with a ton of loose ends and no real resolution of, well, anything.

Overall, the series had some interesting points. I enjoyed Ben Skywalker's growth and the Jagged/Jaina relationship, but that's about it. They introduced and grew some obscure characters that were really great, but failed to really do anything with them. I usually love Allston and even Denning isn't so bad most of the time, but this series really felt like it was mailed in.

I think they're moving back to two or three-book series for the next few. Hopefully they'll get back on track.
vikoros

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:30 pm

I just started reading "Kenobi" and it's pretty good so far. I love the book cover.
jaydee74

">

Postby Strider » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:27 pm

I finished Maul: Lockdown.

It was a nice quick read that continued the great new "pre-Phantom Menace" Maul. It's taken 15 years, but Maul is finally a fully realized character.

Strider

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 am

Strider wrote:Image

I finished Maul: Lockdown.

It was a nice quick read that continued the great new "pre-Phantom Menace" Maul. It's taken 15 years, but Maul is finally a fully realized character.

I saw this was a follow up to the Darth Plagius book, should I read that one first or can I get by skipping that one
Arsenal

">

Postby Strider » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Arsenal wrote:I saw this was a follow up to the Darth Plagius book, should I read that one first or can I get by skipping that one

You don't have to, but I recommend reading it. When coupled with all the new Maul stuff, it makes for a more complete picture of Maul, past and "present".

Strider

Previous

Return to Literature