A Game of Thrones

Couch potatoes unite! Remember LOST!? Tiny Toon!? Three's Company!?
">

A Game of Thrones

Postby superdoug » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:13 am

Based on the epic Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, this series is set to debut on HBO on April 17th. There's a sneak preview of the first fifteen minutes scheduled to air on April 3rd at 9PM EST. So far, the trailers for the thing look fantastic, and if you're a fan of the books, you'll see that the producers have really worked to recreate the feel of the Seven Kingdoms and the Summer Islands.

I know that, besides me, Mr. Champion is looking forward to this, but is anyone else? The cast is amazing, from what I saw. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister...the kids have been aged up a bit, but I kind of expected them to do that, since people would probably balk at the idea of a thirteen year old girl getting married and such. But, other than that, I've been super-impressed with what I've seen.

So, let's discuss this show!

Winter is coming.
superdoug

">

Re: A Game of Thrones

Postby Aussiemandias » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:12 am

A fantasy TV series - yep, I can't wait!!!!

I think I read the first book more years ago than I care to remember and I don't think I particularly liked it from memory but that doesn't really worry me. This sounds great and, as you say Superdoug, a great cast - I've always been a huge fan of Sean Bean going way back.

Not sure when it will be shown out here but hopefully there's not much of a delay.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Strider » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I can't wait for the show.

I've been a huge, huge fan of the novels and it looks like they are going to be pretty true to them (or at least as true as you can be with an adaptation).
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Paroxysm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss say the project started out as a movie, but they said even a three-hour adaptation would require cutting 90% of the first book's material, which is why they went to a TV show.
Paroxysm

">

Postby Joshua » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 am

Did anyone else watch the premier last night? I dug the shit out of it. There were some pretty obvious, but not major, changes that didn't affect things for the worse. I was surprised at how much material they covered in a single episode without it feeling like they omitted huge portions. Translating the book to the screen can be no easy task, but I thought their visual storytelling was very good.

Thoughts?
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Goof » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 am

HBO did a really good job with the first episode! The only thing that bugged me was that the actor playing Targaryen looks like Pauly Shore in a wig.

:?
Goof

">

Postby superdoug » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am

Goof wrote:HBO did a really good job with the first episode! The only thing that bugged me was that the actor playing Targaryen looks like Pauly Shore in a wig.

:?

BOOO-URNS! BOOO-URNS! That is the incomparable and delightfully wicked Harry Lloyd, also known as Brother-of-Mine from the Doctor Who episodes "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood". The blond hair is a bit much, seeing as his natural hair is black as pitch, but he's SO GOOD at playing a right bastard that I can overlook the horrible hair coloring in anticipation of his absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Overall, I was quite pleased by the first episode. I've read some complaints that nothing really happened, but screw that. There needed to be an episode which introduced all the major players (or most of them, in this instance), and this was note-perfect with the books. I cannot wait for next Sunday, and the one after that and so on until the eventual release of the Blu-Ray. :D
superdoug

">

Postby Joshua » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 am

I don't really see it. I thought he did a great job of playing equal parts creep and total prick. I can't wait for the episode "Golden Crown". :mrgreen:

The casting and the production value may be the strongest aspect of the show for me. So many of the characters, despite HBO casting older, resemble my mind's eye image that I've had for so long.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Juswise » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Just watched the first Episode " Winter is Coming". Wow. This show has exceeded every expectation of mine. The love the writers, producers, and directors have for the source material is evident all over the first hour. and yes, I too cant wait till " Golden Crown"

Juswise

">

Postby g_zatara » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Game of Boning
g_zatara

">

Postby SexyToaster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 pm

Just watched the first episode and I am in LOVE! Its a great medieval drama so far, and I am a bit sad with the cliffhanger we got :(. I have not read the books so I don't know much about the series, but I am excited for it. I love Medieval genre and I think this series will be great. Also I am super glad Iain Glenn is in it, he is one of my favorite actors.
SexyToaster

">

Postby Strider » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 am

I loved it.

They got every aspect of the series right.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Gojiratoho » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am

I never got into the books, though a friend of mine loves them. I was very pleased by this first ep (though I picked up on the reveal ending waaaay early in the ep). I'm looking forward to this series and I'll probably give the books a read.

Also, it looks from the trailers that Charles Dance is going to be in this show, and that makes me happy.
Gojiratoho

">

Postby Joshua » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 pm

A Clash of Kings coming, second season renewed: http://grrm.livejournal.com/211736.html
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Sandman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am

I have never read the book but I am seriously considering it after I am down with what I am reading now. There was alot of...um incest in this first episode though....is that a common theme for this series? I actually had to rewind to earlier in the show just to confirm those 2 characters at the end were in fact bro & sister. anyway the casting is great! I am looking forward to more of this. I do not know what will happen in this but I was bummed to see the good looking blonde that was just married to that savage guy is only here for 2 episodes, she was hot!
Sandman

">

Postby Juswise » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Sandman wrote:I have never read the book but I am seriously considering it after I am down with what I am reading now. There was alot of...um incest in this first episode though....is that a common theme for this series? I actually had to rewind to earlier in the show just to confirm those 2 characters at the end were in fact bro & sister. anyway the casting is great! I am looking forward to more of this. I do not know what will happen in this but I was bummed to see the good looking blonde that was just married to that savage guy is only here for 2 episodes, she was hot!

yes they are bro and sis. Im on the second book now so I cant say for the rest of the series but there is a bit. I HIGHLY recommend the audiobook version.

Juswise

">

Postby SexyToaster » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Sandman wrote:I have never read the book but I am seriously considering it after I am down with what I am reading now. There was alot of...um incest in this first episode though....is that a common theme for this series? I actually had to rewind to earlier in the show just to confirm those 2 characters at the end were in fact bro & sister. anyway the casting is great! I am looking forward to more of this. I do not know what will happen in this but I was bummed to see the good looking blonde that was just married to that savage guy is only here for 2 episodes, she was hot!

Lots of characters are only listed for two episodes so perhaps maybe it just hasn't been updated yet to how many they are in.
SexyToaster

">

Postby Juswise » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 pm

yeah the " good looking blonde" is a major character, she will be sticking around

Juswise

">

Postby Sandman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Juswise wrote:yeah the " good looking blonde" is a major character, she will be sticking around

that is good to know, a bunch of them had 8 eisodes down so hopefully yeah they just have not updated
Sandman

">

Postby Joshua » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 am

Juswise wrote:yeah the " good looking blonde" is a major character, she will be sticking around

That doesn't really narrow it down, since both Cersei and Daenrys are major characters and both are rather comely. :lol:
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby SexyToaster » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 am

I have a feeling that the king son really isn't his and its actually Jamie's but thats just my thought.
SexyToaster

">

Postby Joshua » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 am

Way more character development this week, which I enjoyed, particularly the scenes between Tyrion and Jon. A major deviation from the book to make Cersei more sympathetic had me WTFing, but it wasn't such a radical departure that it bothered me, particularly since it seemed like it may have been a set-up for helping to explain something later on that I can't quite get into without spoiling it for people. :lol:

I did not, however, care for the extended scene between Daenerys and her handmaiden. They could have simply alluded to the fact that Dany wanted sex tips, rather than show a girl mounting another girl, despite her undulations being rather hypnotic and pleasant to watch. It wasn't as gratuitous as I thought it would be for a moment, which I was grateful for, but it still felt to me like it may have been pandering to the "GIRLS KISSING IS HAWT!!!!11" crowd. That aside, I did appreciate that they're starting to show Dany's affection for Drogo growing, rather than it seeming like he's raping her every night.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Juswise » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Great second ep. Im seeing quite a bit of trimming from the book but I know they have a TON of story to get through in the next 8 eps. Peter Dinklage is perfect.

Juswise

">

Postby Joshua » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Juswise wrote:Peter Dinklage is perfect.

Agreed. If he stays this consistently fantastic (which I have no doubt he will) through the rest of the season, he's a shoe-in for an Emmy nomination.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby KikiD22 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 pm

For those that have read the books, is it worth it to start reading after having watched the TV series? I'm in love with this show, but haven't read the books and know absolutely nothing about the storyline going into it.

I'm just concerned because I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels after having watched two and a half seasons of "True Blood," and all it did was piss me off with all of the changes that were made. Don't want to have that happen again.
KikiD22

Next

Return to Television