Breaking Bad

Couch potatoes unite! Remember LOST!? Tiny Toon!? Three's Company!?
">

Breaking Bad

Postby Juswise » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYErgUu95HA
WARNING: If you have NOT seen up to and including season 4 dont watch the trailer

Other then that, who is ready for Season 5 ???

Juswise

">

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby matweller » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:10 am

I'm very happy S5 has started, but also a little annoyed to have to watch it in real time now that I'm all caught up. :P

About the comments made on PoPCast 163...

I would agree that BB is like Dexter insofar as both shows ask you to situationally excuse an otherwise morally reprehensible act. The reference to Falling Down was somewhat apt, but I think BB is so much more than that too. Falling Down was a dude literally going crazy and rampaging. BB is about a guy who knows he has a death sentence and makes the conscious decision to do everything he can to make sure his family will live comfortably after he's gone. Who among us wouldn't? But like life is, every major win comes with a major blow and the ferris wheel keeps spinning. Every revolution brings more experience and hardens Walt a bit more. You see him (as I read the director say in an interview) change from a blundering guy trying to do right to a Scarface/Henry Hill, because again, in a similar situation, who among us wouldn't.
    I would agree that nobody on the show is lovable and some are straight up disposable, but if you don't identify with Walt or his plight as I mentioned it above, it's probably not for you. This will get me in trouble, but I will say women will identify with his character significantly less often than men because they don't identify (as much) with that "if I'm going out, I'll cash in on anything I can to benefit the family on my way" thing that seems to be part of the male nature. That's not to say that dying women are not compelled to do things to benefit their survivors, just that they're not as compelled to think about doing it in this way.
    I like Walt, and I like watching his progression. However, I don't care for the way he treats Jesse from the very beginning, and it doesn't get any better. It's not that I can't take it, it just doesn't fit with the character in my mind. It's not that I don't think Walt would ever berate Jesse, but the complete contempt is a bit much at times especially considering how often Jesse completely saves Walt's bacon. If you can't get past that, this may not be for you.
    Whether you choose to watch or not, I wouldn't decide before watching the season 1 finale. It really pulls your scrotum up over your head.
matweller

">

Postby Juswise » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 pm

I totally agree. The BB to Falling Down comparison is sort of correct. I tell people its like watching the dad from the brady bunch slowly becoming scarface. Yeah the S1 finale is mind blowingly good. As far as people calling it "slow".. well its not action packed all the time, so if thats what you are looking for you might be disappointed. It slowly ratchets up the tension though. Thats a bit different from "slow" IMHO

Juswise

">

Postby D-Rock » Mon May 19, 2014 12:36 pm

I finally got around to watching this show through Netflix. I think I finished all 5 seasons over 3 weeks, I was that hooked. This has to be one of the best written shows I've ever watched
D-Rock

Return to Television