Green Arrow

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: Green Arrow

Postby Denim » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Green Arrow #4

THANK YOU KIETH GIFFEN AND DAN JURENS!!!!!! Ok, all of you that dropped off this title can come back now. This is a great issue, they do a great job of introducing the characters, setting up this little arc and the art is just awesome. Sure I am still not crazy for this new version of Ollie, but this book reads so much better now. After the Giffen/Jurgans arc, Ann Nocenti takes over this book, seriously people, jump on now, she is an amazing writer!
Denim

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:39 am

Denim wrote:Green Arrow #4

THANK YOU KIETH GIFFEN AND DAN JURENS!!!!!! Ok, all of you that dropped off this title can come back now. This is a great issue, they do a great job of introducing the characters, setting up this little arc and the art is just awesome. Sure I am still not crazy for this new version of Ollie, but this book reads so much better now. After the Giffen/Jurgans arc, Ann Nocenti takes over this book, seriously people, jump on now, she is an amazing writer!

I'm going to give it a go when she comes on board. I know it gets a lot of criticism but I actually enjoyed her run on Daredevil when it came out.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby D-Rock » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Heh, I actually didn't even notice a new creative team came on. It's still the same bad dialogue. Giffen and Jurgens are both dated writers. I'm not expecting any huge jump in quality here.
D-Rock

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:33 pm

I thought issue #4 was slightly better than the first three, but not much better. If the book doesn't drastically improve once Nocenti comes on I'm dropping it.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:16 am

Green Arrow #5

I think this was a decent issue. I enjoyed it well enough. IMO, it was the best issue of the series so far (though that's not saying much).
Batman25JM

">

Postby D-Rock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 am

Giffen is doing nothing to improve this title. Oh Ollie, you deserve so much better
D-Rock

">

Postby Batman25JM » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 pm

D-Rock wrote:Giffen is doing nothing to improve this title. Oh Ollie, you deserve so much better

Agreed.

I know it isn't going to happen, but I so wish that Judd Winick would come back (and Phil Hester too).
Batman25JM

">

Postby D-Rock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:08 am

Nothing really remarkable about the last issue, though I do think it was better than the last. Next month has a new creative team, so part of me is looking forward to what they plan to do with Ollie.

I will say that one thing I'm absolutely loving right now is how connected all the new 52 books are. You see it through all the titles, and in this case the link comes at the end when Ollie is hanging out on the roof drinking a beer. Behind him is the moon, and then in the next panel the moon has claws coming out of it which is a nod to what's happening in Stormwatch. Now it has no impact on the reader if they missed it or isn't reading Stormwatch, but for those of us that are reading these multiple titles it comes off as a cool Easter egg.
D-Rock

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:03 pm

I agree. I don't think issue #6 was great, but it was certainly the best one yet. I'm really hoping that Nocenti turns this book around.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 am

Green Arrow #7

I had such high hopes for this. I will say it was better than Krul's run, but I still didn't think it was really that good. The last two pages with the plane crashed were paced horribly, IMO.

I'm not sure how I feel about the art. I liked parts of it. Skylark was hot. I did like some of the action, but there were a lot of things I didn't like. I think Ollie looked kind of weird.

I may give issue #8 a chance, but if it doesn't majorly improve I think I'm done.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 am

Green Arrow #8

And dropped!

I thought this issue was horrible. It was a mess. I honestly couldn't tell you what the hell was going on.
Batman25JM

">

Postby D-Rock » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 am

The writing is kind of atrocious. As I went through #7 I kept "what the f@*k am I reading?". And the little guy with the accent made me want to punch babies.

The only good thing in these last issues was the stuff going on with his company and Ollie being presumed dead
D-Rock

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Green Arrow #0

I picked this up because Judd Winick wrote it. The cover says Ann Nocenti wrote it, but the interior says Winick wrote it. That's confusing. Anyway, I'm a big Winick fan, so I picked it up.

I enjoyed it well enough. I liked that we got a taste of Roy and Ollie's relationship. I'm curious about it in the New 52. I'm not sticking with the book though because Winick isn't writing it.

I see that they're having Merlyn be Tommy Merlyn, like in the upcoming Arrow TV show.
Batman25JM

">

Postby aleams » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Green Arrow #17

For the record, I have never read any issue of Green Arrow, Hawkeye, or any archer book. I never really cared for the characters. I felt like they were always just knockoffs of Robin Hood and Batman. I started watching the tv series Arrow, out of curiousity, and while I hated it at first, I slowly grew to love it. I had read on twitter how fantastic this issue of Green Arrow was. This was Jeff Lemire's first issue with the character and apparently he did a great job with it.

I couldn't agree more with that. I absolutely LOVED this issue. The issue begins with a lot of dialogue, but it's all crucial to the plot. The action was paced so well and the story was easy to understand, especially for a new reader. It was fast, exciting, and each page made me excited to turn to the next. It set up a REALLY interesting story that I will certainly be picking up for the next couple of issues to see where this goes. Best of all, THE ART. Andrea Sorrentino did such a phenomenal job. That cover should be made into a print and hung above my bed. It almost vaguely reminds me of Travel Foreman's art, but yet it almost looks traced... That's just how good it looks.

Anywho, I'm interested to hear what you guys thought of it.
- Andrew L.

NEVER FORGET
aleams

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Green Arrow #17

I definitely think this is a step in the right direction. This book has been crap since it started. Krul and Nocenti's runs were abysmal (granted, I didn't read all of Nocenti's run).

I've only read a very little bit by Jeff Lemire. I didn't care for the work I read of his previously, but this book may change my opinion of him.

Having Ollie lose everything may not be a new idea, but it definitely shakes things up. And I do think that giving a deeper mythology to Ollie's time on the island and his family is an interesting development. It'll hopefully make for some interesting stories.

This book really reminded me of Brubaker, Fraction, and Aja's run on Immortal Iron Fist.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Arsenal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I second that it feels like Bru's Iron Fist, the art and paneling especially.

I am glad that they are not trying to copy Hawkeye's formula.

I think I am going to really like this book, I got bored with Animal Man but though Lemire was a great author the story didn't do it for me. I hope this one does.
Arsenal

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Green Arrow #18

I freaking LOVED this issue. I don't know what it was, but everything in this issue just worked for me. If the book continues like this I'll be thrilled. It's one of the only DC books I'm reading/enjoying.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:29 am

I can't get over how much I loved issue #18. I'm clamoring for issue #19 at this point!
Batman25JM

">

Postby Peg leg Pete » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 am

This makes me both happy and sad...

Happy that Ollie is getting some love, sad because I am basically done with monthly comics at this point...haven't bought any since FCBD last year, other than the very occasional Comixology book.

I dunno, maybe i can catch up with it in trade. Anyone care to give the highlights?

Find out how you can sign up for a PoP! Passport:
http://www.panelsonpages.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=74999#p74958
Peg leg Pete

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun May 19, 2013 9:17 pm

The book has been terrific since Jeff Lemire took over. It's definitely one of my favorite books out there right now, and one of the only DC books I'm enjoying.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Strider » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:33 pm

I was finally able to catch up on the series and I am loving the Outsiders War. Lemire has taken some great elements from the Arrow tv show and really run with it. This is gonna be an epic storyline.

This might be the most I have ever loved Ollie in the book.......ever.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

Previous

Return to DC