Batman

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Batman

Postby Batman25JM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:54 am

Discussion and Reviews
Batman25JM

">

Re: Batman

Postby D-Rock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Batman #709

With one issue, Hine has me more interested than the entire 18 issue run of Azrael (which he also wrote). For those who haven't been following, this arc picks up right at the finale of the Azrael series. During a previous encounter, Azrael stabbed Dick with his mystical swords which has had a lasting effect on Dick, which he has been hiding from everyone. Dick's been re-living memories which he doesn't recall experiencing. Azrael and his cohorts (assembled by Ra's al Ghul) vow to lay waste to Gotham unless 10 righteous good men can come forward to take the task themselves. What we learn here as that Dick may not be one of those men
D-Rock

">

Postby DifferentJustin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:22 pm

I was really confused when I first started reading this issue, not going to lie. Went with it though, and I thought it was a really cool idea for a story arc. Going to have to check up on the Azrael series, see if reading it makes this three-parter any more enjoyable than it already is.
DifferentJustin

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Issues like 709 really make me wish that DC books had a page that told you what happened in the past. I was pretty lost, but I ended up enjoying it overall. The art was pretty killer. I don't think I care enough about this story to pick up parts 2 and 3 of it though.
Brand New Blog!!!!: http://crackingthebooks.wordpress.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/comicgeekelly
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1168397971
Joshua wrote:There's this shirt at the mall that looks like it's been well-made, but it looks just like every other shirt out these days. It's pointless for me to spend money on something I'm only vaguely interested in, I think I'll just stuff it in my pants and walk out with it.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am

Batman #709

I never read Azrael, and I never care to. I don't care about him.

I did not like this issue at all. Sure, I had no idea of the back story to what was going on, but on its own merits I thought it sucked. I don't care for this type of story in a Bat book, and I honestly thought the writing was just plain bad.

I thought Tim and Catwoman just popping in like that was stupid. It didn't feel organic. I know it's happened before, but something felt off.

I didn't care for the art.

I really hate how this story is just popping up here out of nowhere. Yes, I know its continuing from other stuff, but it didn't originate in this book and now it has hijacked this book and two others. UGH!!

A recap page is really something DC should look into. I still don't get why they don't do it.

I'll be getting the next part of the story because I already buy Red Robin. I'll also be getting the final part because I'm going to continue to get Batman. However, I don't know if I'll get the Gotham City Sirens issue. I don't buy that book, and so far this story doesn't make me want to. However, my obsession with having all parts of a story may win out.
Batman25JM

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Goodbye S.O.G....didn't care for how this ended, I suppose Dini had little options. With all these Bat books it's $3 (for a while $4) that I'll be saving a month. Oh, who am I fooling, with all these Bat books I'm still paying a lot of doe for the caped crusader!
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby D-Rock » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

LOOSECANNON wrote:Goodbye S.O.G....didn't care for how this ended, I suppose Dini had little options.

Yeah, not the strongest ending for Streets of Gotham, but I did like how they left off with Hush. Jane Doe was a character that Dini's been using for awhile. So to have her tie-in to Hush's fate was kind of cool. And now Hush has a legitimate reason for the bandages again! (Ouch!)
D-Rock

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm here for my monthly "Is Riddler back to normal"? It irritates me that they made him crazy because of a bonk on the head. It's the Guy Gardner thing all over again but without the humour. It makes me sad. :cry:
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Batman #709

I only bought this to continue my collection since Batman R.I.P. and it was surprisingly decent. I didn't care TOO much for the first issue--at least not enough to get GCS or Red Robin--but this issue proved worth my time. I wish Dick would've come up with something a little more clever, knowing his experience, but it was def some good character development on Hine's part. Being a big fan of Hine with all his Arkham work, this is a far cry from his best, and I would've liked to see a "tad" bit humor involved, as the arc comes off overly dreary and mundane. But it defeated my expectations and March's wild art was pretty cool. Wouldn't mind seeing a Ras'Ah Gul arc drawn by him. 3/5
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby GRIMM » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this at. It's about Batman and a new artist. Well known, but has been working on a book with another well known artist. I speak of Greg Capullo. He hinted at working out details woth Jim Lee on team and funds via a post made on his fb. Just wanted to let you all know. I know I'm looking forward to this more than David Finch. But that's just me.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I’m an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair!"

GRIMM

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:14 pm

^^^ Oh shit, that sound pretty awesome.
Joshua wrote:There's this shirt at the mall that looks like it's been well-made, but it looks just like every other shirt out these days. It's pointless for me to spend money on something I'm only vaguely interested in, I think I'll just stuff it in my pants and walk out with it.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:53 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I'm here for my monthly "Is Riddler back to normal"? It irritates me that they made him crazy because of a bonk on the head. It's the Guy Gardner thing all over again but without the humour. It makes me sad. :cry:

:| Wait. What? It's been awhile since I read any Riddler. He's crazy? Crazy how? I think the last time I read anything with him, he was trying to be a better detective than Batman. Right? :?
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Batman #709

Okay, so I (and others) labeled last issue as 709. I don't have the issues accessable. Was this issue 710 or was last issue 708 or were there two issues labeled as 709?

Thank god this is over (though since I'm not liking Daniel's run either it doesn't really matter all that much that this is over).

I'm sorry, but I freaking HATED this crossover. The only thing I really liked was the Red Robin issue, and I liked it in spite of the crossover.

This story should never have been told here. It's really crappy on DC's part. This story originated in Azrael. It should have been told there, not brought over into other books that were having nothing to do with it. I wasn't reading Azrael. I didn't read the setup for this, and was thus semi confused during the crossover. Also, it stopped the flow of other books. This wasn't a big company event, it could and should have just been told in the Azrael comic. They also got me to buy the Gotham City Sirens issue that tied in even though I don't read that book and don't care about the crossover. I suppose it's my fault as well for buying it, but as a completest I had to have the whole story even if I didn't like it.

I'm not a fan of March's art or the coloring of this book. It looks too much like 70s stuff.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Did you ever consider to not buying issues and waiting to buy them cheap at conventions?
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:22 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Did you ever consider to not buying issues and waiting to buy them cheap at conventions?

Nope. I've never even been to a convention. Anyway, the completest in me had to have the issues. I don't want to break up my Batman run. I don't have every issue, but I have every issue since I started reading. Plus, when I got the last issue of Batman I didn't know that I wouldn't like the story, but after I read it and knew I had already started the story, so I had to finish it. I know it's partly my fault for buying this stuff, but DC still shouldn't have told this story in these books. It's crappy to start a story in one book, and then finish it in three others.
Last edited by Batman25JM on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:25 pm

I understand you poor poor sap. :lol: ;)
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:28 pm

jaydee74 wrote:I understand you poor poor sap. :lol: ;)

Thanks for understanding. :lol:

As to never having been to a convention, I hope to remedy that next year and go to C2E2.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Conventions are fun. I've been to every NYCC since the first one only missing one in 2007. That year I wound up going to Wizard World Philly. It was a lot of fun and I met Jerry there.
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Conventions are fun. I've been to every NYCC since the first one only missing one in 2007. That year I wound up going to Wizard World Philly. It was a lot of fun and I met Jerry there.

Cool. I've wanted to go to a convention for quite some time, I just never have. I don't want to travel very far to go to one. C2E2 would be a perfect convention for me to get to. I was going to go to C2E2 this year, but I decided I couldn't because of school. Then things with school changed a bit and I could have gone, but it was too late to make it. I want to go to a convention even more now so that I can meet the PoP!-ulation in person.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Sounds like C2E2 is the convention to do that.
jaydee74

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 pm

I think the art was my favorite part of the past two issues. The look is really unique.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 pm

In Batty's defense, I bought both issues too for the Batman completist in me. There's certain titles I have moderately lengthy runs in (Green lantern, Batman, Wonder Woman) and fear breaking them up for a cheap crossover. At least the last ish wasn't BAD but I def would have skipped it had it been a different title.
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby GRIMM » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 am

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I’m an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair!"

GRIMM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sat May 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Batman #710

I didn't like this at all. I continue to HATE Tony Daniel's work on this book. I wish I had the strength to drop it, but it's a Batman book (not to mention the main Batman book), so I just can't.
Batman25JM

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Sat May 21, 2011 7:34 pm

I have to disagree. I really enjoyed this issue and for the most part I've liked what Daniel has done on the book.

comicgeekelly

Next

Return to DC