Superman Unchained

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Superman Unchained

Postby Bigtymin504 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Bigtymin504

">

Re: Superman Unchained

Postby Strider » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

I can't wait for this book.

I love everything Snyder does and I'm glad to see him on another flagship character. And Jim Lee isn't too shabby either. :lol:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Batman25JM » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 pm

I think the title of the book is absolutely awful. Seriously, it sucks. I firmly believe that it should have been titled Superman: The Man of Steel.

I'm not sure if I'm going to check it out. I love Jim Lee's art, but I am lukewarm at best when it comes to Snyder. I disliked what I read of American Vampire, and I really don't care for his current Batman work. I did like his run on Detective Comics tough.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am

Yeah you would think the title "Man of Steel" was a no brainer considering the movie coming out. This just sounds silly in a post-Django world.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:20 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:Yeah you would think the title "Man of Steel" was a no brainer considering the movie coming out. This just sounds silly in a post-Django world.

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title. They really should change it.

And now I have the theme song from Django stuck in my head.

DJANGOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Django, have you always been alone?

Dammit DC. :|
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 am

:?
WTF? Where the hell did they get Superman: Unchained from? Um. Superman: The Man of Steel. Yeah. Sounds a lot better. Considering they have a movie with the same name coming out, it should be a no brainer. I like both Snyder and Lee but how long will that creative team be on this book? I know Lee won't stay on it for too long. A year maybe? Now, the Batman/Superman book looks to be all kinds of awesome.
jaydee74

">

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na The Question!

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:21 am

jaydee74 wrote::?
WTF? Where the hell did they get Superman: Unchained from?

It's time for some detective work. The Question and his kid sidekick, Quick Question, are on the case.

ImageImage

Chains are commonly made out of steel and steel-based alloys. Superman, the Man of Steel is now unchained as in now unsteeled. This shift from steel indicates the second coming foretold in William Butler Yeats's poem The Second Coming, which references the widening gyre, which is connected to The Widening Gyre, written by the scourge of Girls Scout cookie sellers everywhere, Kevin Smith. This story highlights many things such as Batman having a loose bladder, Poison Ivy pleasuring herself publicly, and most importantly, Silver St. Cloud. Indeed, Silver St. Cloud, as in a saintly metal in the sky. Sound familiar? Indeed it is clear reference to Superman, thus causing this to come full circle and thus creating a gyre of sorts, or better yet, an ouroboros. This is a clear reference of Grant Morrison's storyline from Batman Incorporated. But even more so than that, the meaning of the ouroboros indicates a cycle, a pre-ego dawn state. A low level, infantile state of understanding. But how does this pertain to Batman aside from what I have mentioned? The ouroboros was created by Batman. Created by Batman? Indeed, created by Batman. Batman needed a way to keep Superman in check. Because not doing so would lead to a world....much like Injustice, Gods Among Us game/comic, another possibility Batan foretold due to his prep time (in fact that divergent timeline exists because of batman's actions in keeping Superman in check). Thus when Darkseid, at the end of Final Crisis blasted him with the Omega Sanction, Batman being Batman, already had a plan for it. Indeed, through the prep time granted to him by the verbal exchange he had with Darkseid before shooting him, Batman created a plan to not only escape the Omega Sanction but trap Superman within it. But what is a world without Superman? Indeed, and thus, Batman trapped the rest of the world with him, including Darkseid. And thus this is the real reason for the DCUnu52. But, one may wonder, what does it mean if Superman is unchained? Simple. Someone from a high place of existence is reaching out to Superman, who is in a lower place of existence and pulling him up from that plane of existence. What kind of person would do such a thing? Very simple. It would have to be someone who, unlike other characters, are not trying to hinder or destroy Superman, that is, unless they truly think they are? What does this mean?

Bizarro is that someone pulling Superman from the ouroboros, in an attempt to destroy Superman but because his mindset is backwards, his attempts to destroy Superman result in him making Superman stronger. This is also why Bizarro is noticeably absent in this nu52. Him and his whole world gone? I doubt it. Bizarro preserved it in an attempt to destroy it thus making it indestructible. In becoming unchained, Superman is progressing to another level, higher than his former level. He is no longer the Man of Steel but instead, the Man of Steel-Titanium Alloy. He has attained nirvana by unchaining himself from the ouroboros, created by Batman. In short, Superman is now a super saiyan.

The evidence all adds up.

In short, Bizarro is to blame, which is why the decision to name this seems so backwards to us. We're simply not Bizarro-minded enough to grasp the genius that is Bizarro.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Strider » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I would guess that the title probably comes from a plot point but I'm willing to be patient and wait to see what the title means before condemning it.

It's just a title.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Wade Being Serious. Sound the alarms!

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Titles are important though. Imagine if this was called "Superman fucks Wonder Woman while whirling a cat like a soulja rag". I'm willing to be patient and see how the story itself is, which is why no one is bashing the story, but the title itself seems silly, especially with a very successful movie out there that discusses a hot button topic and was controversial as well. I think much of the reaction to the title is justified. No one is screaming for anyone's head, they just think it's silly.

That said I still blame Bizarro.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Titles are indeed very important so it's because of this that I'm weary of this book. It just doesn't sound like a Superman book to me.
jaydee74

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Titles are indeed very important so it's because of this that I'm weary of this book. It just doesn't sound like a Superman book to me.

Indeed. That's because it's a Bizarro book. :shock: :lol:
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Arsenal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 am

I think we all know that this book will actually just be a team up book. Superman travels back in time and teams up with Christopher Waltz to save Lois who has been kidnapped by a plantation owner.
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

We'll see. The more I think about Snyder and Lee on a Superman book, the more I think they are not who I would think of when it comes to creative teams on a Superman book.
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 pm

I wasn't going to check out the first issue, but I broke down and tried it. I was extremely underwhelmed. I didn't think it was anything special at all. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a Snyder fan. Aside from The Black Mirror and Gates Of Gotham run I haven't enjoyed his work.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Arsenal » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 pm

The first issue didn't blow me away, but I am going to give it a chance to build up and see what is going on here.
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 pm

I didn't check it out and I didn't hear much buzz about it. Is it worth checking out?
jaydee74

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:13 pm

jaydee74 wrote:I didn't check it out and I didn't hear much buzz about it. Is it worth checking out?

So far I've been underwhelmed. The plot is fairly generic to be honest. I feel like we've seem this story with Supes a million times. I did really like the scenes with his inner monologue while he's saving people though. Shows how his mind works by the second. Lee's art is great as usual, but you can tell it suffers a good bit when trying to make a monthly schedule.
Bigtymin504

Return to DC