Worlds' Finest

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Worlds' Finest

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Discussions and Reviews
jaydee74

">

Re: Worlds' Finest

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:58 pm

From the DC Source Blog:

WRITER PAUL LEVITZ ON WORLDS’ FINEST
Thursday, January 19th, 2012

By Josh Kushins

Last week, we announced DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 “Second Wave,” featuring six new series coming in May. In WORLDS’ FINEST, writer Paul Levitz jumps between parallel Earths, following the story of Earth 2’s Huntress and Power Girl as they struggle to find their way back home. But fans of these heroes should keep in mind that they aren’t the Huntress and Power Girl we know so well. Levitz offers some insider insights on what readers can – and can’t – expect from WORLDS’ FINEST:

Nothing’s quite the same…the world they’re in, the rules of the game, the stakes…so Helena and Kara are facing dilemmas in WORLDS’ FINEST that are nothing like any version of either of their previous lives…

Learn the identities they used on Earth 2…watch why those change when they get here…and see the choices they face. It’s a layered puzzle, pulling on the rich history of the DC Universe…but even more on the potential for an explosively different lives in the New 52 universe…and over time, it’ll all pull together to affect the lives of so many…

As a writer, it’s a true joy to collaborate with star artists George Perez and Kevin Maguire, and to be able to design a series to fit their talents together as seamlessly as possible. And the heroines of WORLDS FINEST are simultaneously old friends (to me, as well as each other) and very new acquaintances that you want to grow closer to…if you can. They’re showing a lot of their true selves…but hiding even more.

Welcome to new worlds…and a totally new WORLDS’ FINEST.
jaydee74

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm

This really does intrigue me but I just can't get past the fact Levitz's writing is so dated. I was excited when he first returned to LSH given what he did in the past but his writing soon turned me off and I was very disappointed. So the plot here might sound good but I'm doubtful he can deliver.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Strider » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 am

I'll get the first issue, but the promo art hasn't thrilled me at all.

And that's not even factoring in Paul Levitz's writing.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am

I haven't seen the promo art for this yet but I like the two artists doing the book. Levitz is dated, I do admit that but I have to say that sometimes I like that. I hope he does something new and interesting with these two characters because I want to get both this and Earth-2 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
jaydee74

">

Postby Strider » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 pm

jaydee74 wrote:I haven't seen the promo art for this yet but I like the two artists doing the book. Levitz is dated, I do admit that but I have to say that sometimes I like that. I hope he does something new and interesting with these two characters because I want to get both this and Earth-2 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rereading the Newsarama article, I realized that the art was all from the Huntress mini-series, and not World's Finest.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Batman25JM » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:24 pm

^Was it Marcus To's interior art or Gillem March's covers that you didn't like?
Batman25JM

">

Postby Strider » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 am

Batman25JM wrote:^Was it Marcus To's interior art or Gillem March's covers that you didn't like?

It's the covers from The Huntress #5 and #6.

Strider

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:35 pm

POWER GIRL REDESIGNED IN PEREZ'S "WORLDS' FINEST" #1 COVER
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=36931
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm

I kind of like this. What I'm more interested in is the two images in the background with Power Girl in a more Supergirl-like outfit and Huntress in a kind of Robin-like outfit. I think I'm onboard for this now.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 pm

It looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. Powergirl is probably going back to being the Earth 2 Supergirl and Huntress, not sure maybe Batman/Catwomans kid, who now was Catgirl or Robin.

So how long until we hear people bitching that she doesn't have the boob window?
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Arsenal wrote:It looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. Powergirl is probably going back to being the Earth 2 Supergirl and Huntress, not sure maybe Batman/Catwomans kid, who now was Catgirl or Robin.

So how long until we hear people bitching that she doesn't have the boob window?

You mean you don't already hear it? Unclog your ears man! :lol:
Seriously though, I see Power Girl probably having to need to change her costume from the Supergirl costume you see in the background to the Power Girl costume she is wearing in the forefront. I see Helena as the daughter of Batman/Catwoman and I guess she was a Robin in that world? Which makes me wonder what happened to Dick Grayson who had stayed Robin into his adult years and had a bad ass costume. I'm very curious about her background now.
jaydee74

">

Postby Strider » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Which makes me wonder what happened to Dick Grayson who had stayed Robin into his adult years and had a bad ass costume.

He's Earth-2 Batman now. ;)

Strider

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 am

Strider wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Which makes me wonder what happened to Dick Grayson who had stayed Robin into his adult years and had a bad ass costume.

He's Earth-2 Batman now. ;)

Yeah, but was he ever Robin in Earth-2. Maybe he started out as Nightwing. That would be an interesting change in the Earth 2 Dick Grayson backstory.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 am

Worlds' Finest #1
Read this and thought it was interesting. On a positive note, you don't have to read Earth-2 to understand what's going on in this issue as it lets you know who these people are and how they wound up on the new 52 Earth. I liked the dynamic between the two characters and while I'm on the fence about whether or not to get this on a regular basis, I may get it in trade.
jaydee74

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Worlds' Finest #1
Read this and thought it was interesting. On a positive note, you don't have to read Earth-2 to understand what's going on in this issue as it lets you know who these people are and how they wound up on the new 52 Earth. I liked the dynamic between the two characters and while I'm on the fence about whether or not to get this on a regular basis, I may get it in trade.

I was pretty much the same. I really like the concept - I think it's a good one. However, Paul Levitz's writing just seems so dated to me (I love LSH but just couldn't handle his writing). I really wish he could be a co-plotter on his books as I think he definitely comes up with great ideas but have someone else do the scripting and general storytelling. I'm going to give it another one or two issues and see how it progresses. I do love Kevin Maguire's art so that's a real positive.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Strider » Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Issue #1 was okay, but I doubt I'll pick up any more issues.

Strider

">

Postby Denim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 pm

World's Finest #7

While I am not fully loving the book, I am enjoying it a lot. I normally hate 2 different artists working the same story, but for some reason, at least for me, the combo of Perez doing the Power Girl portions and Maguire doing the Huntress portion works.

I would love to see Damien appear more here or have Helena appear in one of the Bat books, the interaction between the two was awesome. I also would like to have Batman find out about her, just to see how he would react.
Denim

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:27 am

Worlds' Finest #1

I finally decided to try this. Normally, I've run into the problem of Paul Levitz's writing feeling dated. I didn't really have that problem here, at least not to as great of an extent as in the past. I liked this issue well enough. I've always liked the Huntress (though I liked the Helena Bertinelli version of the character). I liked the relationship between Huntress and Power Girl in this issue. Honestly, I know they're just friends, but I could see them as a couple. Anyway, this issue didn't blow me away, but it was good enough for me to want to check out more. And the art was great.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:44 am

Batman25JM wrote:Honestly, I know they're just friends, but I could see them as a couple.

I'd like to see that.

Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

Return to DC