Batgirl

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: Batgirl

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 am

I have a feeling that she wasn't Oracle either.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Batigrl #0
Another good issue. I liked Barbara's origin. I liked her original costume. Kind of different but neat. Good story overall.
jaydee74

">

Postby rwe1138 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, good stuff. Shame it had to interrupt the flow the main story, though.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:40 pm

rwe1138 wrote:Yeah, good stuff. Shame it had to interrupt the flow the main story, though.

Yeah. I can't wait to get back to that.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Batgirl #13
I liked this but I will say the #0 issue did muck up the flow of this story a bit. I liked the ending of this story overall and I hope we see more of Knightfall. The ending was freaking interesting and I can't wait for future issues with this particular character. I also need more James Gordon Jr.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Batgirl Annual #1
This was just really good. The art was gorgeous but the story itself was beautiful and I loved it and I hope we see more of the female Talon. Great stuff.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Batgirl #14
A very intense issue. Loved it.
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Batman25JM

">

Postby rwe1138 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:09 pm

And I'm probably leaving right along with her.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:25 pm

UPDATE: Gail Simone has responded by Twitter;

This is my Yes-the-news-is-true-and-it-sucks super sad dance. Oddly,
it’s square dancing.

On Wednesday of last week, new Batgirl editor Brian Cunningham
informed me by email that I was no longer the writer of Batgirl.

But I want to give huge, huge thanks to the other creators in the
bat-offices, and editors Bobbie Chase and @yourpallsmitty, champions
all.

And the biggest thank you of all to you guys for supporting this book
so hugely and making it a commercial and critical success.

I honestly don’t have the words right now to thank you all. I’m pretty
choked up and it’s all gratitude, not bitterness.

I am very proud of what we accomplished with Batgirl and it was an
honor to get to write Barbara Gordon again. Love that dame.

Say it ain't so Buttercow. Depends on who the new writer is, I might be leaving the book as well.
jaydee74

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Maybe Rob Liefeld was onto something about DC's shitty editorial interference...
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:Maybe Rob Liefeld was onto something about DC's shitty editorial interference...

I honestly think he was and just handled it in a bad manner. I know DC editorial has always been pretty bad, with DC always being tethered and restricted in some manner (which makes it seem even more impressive that they can produce quality stuff sometimes), but it seems that things have gotten worse. I seriously think the dudes at the to loosen their grip on things and let DC run itself. That said, I think it's sad that she merely got an e-mail. Even Didio will tell you to your face when you are getting removed from a book or cancelling it.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Demonweasel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

It sounds like, as crappy as this has been, she's said that she's still talking to some folks at DC about doing stuff. So there's that.

We talk about it a bunch on this week's SuperFlyPodcast: http://panelsonpages.com/?p=58212

And yeah, I'll probably be dropping it as well unless they get one of my favorite people on there.
Thacher E. Cleveland
http://www.demonweasel.com
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby jaydee74 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Great episode. I'll have to really wait and see. For me, as much as I like this new 52 character, it's been because of the writing. We'll have to just wait and see.
jaydee74

">

Postby Rath99 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I like Gail...like her Batgirl. Really enjoy seeing Barbara as Batgirl. I don't think we will ever know why she was removed from the book. Politics could have played a huge part. Gail is very opinionated and she doesn't back down. To some in editorial that could be view as detriment.

Not jumping ship just yet on Batgirl. Gail wasn't the reason I started to buy the book so her leaving isn't going to make me stop. She's done a great job and I'll pick up the next thing she works on.
Rath99

">

Postby Denim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:33 pm

While I have enjoyed her run on Batgirl, I am still not a 100% fan of new 52 Barbara. Am I beating a dead horse by continuing on complaining that I miss the characters that were around before this new 52? Yes. Am I going to stop? Probably not.

I will continue to read the book because it is the only source to a character that I like. I don't mind Gail being off this, I already have Beyond Megapolis coming to me when it is finished, so if that is as good as it looks, it will free her up to do more of that.
Denim

">

Postby Demonweasel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 am

I believe she posted on Twitter today that she is working with other people at DC and that they've acknowledged to her that the situation was handled badly. She is, however, going to be doing some creator owned stuff.

So there's that.

It's interesting that the life cycle of comics creators seems to continue to be:

Do indie/creator-owned book to get noticed (while making not a lot on it)
Get company owned book so as to make a living making comics
Leave company owned book to do creator owned work that will hopefully continue to pay them well
Thacher E. Cleveland
http://www.demonweasel.com
twitter.com/demonweasel
demonweasel.tumblr.com
Demonweasel

">

Postby Batman25JM » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 am

I definitely think the way they let her go was handled poorly. However, I'm not a huge Gail Simone fan. I've liked some of her work, but I've disliked a lot of her work as well. Her first Birds of Prey run was great. Honestly, that's the only stuff of hers that I've read that I truly enjoyed. I haven't read Secret Six yet.

I dropped Batgirl because I wasn't liking it at all. Gail Simone leaving might make me come back if they get a writer that I like. However, the odds of that seem slim since I'm not enjoying the bulk of the New 52 and there are only a few writers working at DC that I actually like.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Batgirl #15
Loved this issue. The stand-off between Joker and Batgirl was intense and I loved it. However, the flashback with Joker and the Arkham Asylum Doctor was even more intense and left me wanting to know what happened. It was chilling and intense and I loved it. I loved the ending of this issue and I can't wait to see how this continues in the next issue. Great stuff.
jaydee74

">

Postby Denim » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Very well written issue, I love the way Gail writes the Joker. She has that creep factor.

It also looks as if the Joker has seen the movie Boxing Helena at least once.
Denim

">

Postby Rath99 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Soooo. Gail Simone is the "new" writer on Batgirl.

Yup

Now the question I have is will this be the current Batgirl or will they bring on another Batgirl?
Will something happen to Barbara in the DOTF storyline?
Rath99

">

Batgirl rant? No, not today.

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Rath99 wrote:Soooo. Gail Simone is the "new" writer on Batgirl.

Yup

Now the question I have is will this be the current Batgirl or will they bring on another Batgirl?
Will something happen to Barbara in the DOTF storyline?

Comics these days is becoming more and more like Washington, with politics and special interest groups clamoring for their way. Nothing gets done and incompetence and appeasement is the standard way, leaving them to wonder why no one likes them and only a small factions of the populace show any interest. It's the one thing that truly ruins my ability to appreciate comics these days. The fact that comics are the only medium that have this issue is telling. Comics are such a damn joke these days. Things like this make me glad I listened to my parents and stayed in medical school.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Rath99 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 pm

^^ Comics are NOT the only medium to fold under to consumer pressure. The gaming industry has as well as TV and movies.
Rath99

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:50 am

Rath99 wrote:^^ Comics are NOT the only medium to fold under to consumer pressure. The gaming industry has as well as TV and movies.

It happens more often in the comic industry than any other industry. This is what made the Mass Effect thing such a big deal. that level of folding was uncommon and rather noteworthy. TV and movies rarely do unless it's some throwaway series. Comics are akin to bad fan-fiction these days. There are few titles with actual direction, just titles built on concepts around social justice concepts yet these concepts are championed by people so far out of touch with people who actually deal with these issues it's not even funny. What bothers me about that is that at the end of the day it's more of an insult than progress. Appeasement as opposed to meaningful understanding. At the end of the day, no one is the winner, just people who think they've achieved something through whining when in fact they are being viewed and treated like children. Great victory.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Rath99 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 am

OK then lol

All this begs the question....Why do you take part in something you clearly have a disdain for? It would drive me nuts!! :)
Rath99

PreviousNext

Return to DC