Justice League

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: Justice League

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:56 am

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:Justice League #0

The art was just gorgeous.

As far as the story goes - in a book where crap all has happened in 12 months I find this whole thing a weird deviation. This whole Shazam story should have been in a mini series or something - maybe over in DCU Presents. I realise that it's probably all going to link back to the Justice League at some point but it just seems out of place here at the moment.

The thing that had me most interested in this story was Black Adam coming back. Apart from that I find Billy Batson to be a jerk (and not in an endearing sort of comedic way as you're comparing him, rwe) and a pretty unlikable jerk at that. Sure, I get it - he's got a heart of gold but he's just had tough times and been taken advantage of so he puts on the difficult exterior - well, that doesn't excuse him from being a petulant jerk. There's plenty of people who have had the same experiences and still remain good people. Anyway, this storyline is so obvious that we'll see Billy learn some lessons and become a better person - the whole thing is terribly predictable and telegraphed.

I'm really hoping things pick up on this book with next issue.

He's a kid though with no guidance. The fact that he has any capacity for good is impressive because most kid that age having dealt with what he has dealt with would have turned to gangs, selling drugs, and all kinds of horrible crimes. His worst crime is being petulant and the random misdemeanor here and there (boys without guidance being boys without guidance). He could be so much, and I mean SO MUCH worse but he's not. I think he deserves some slack,especially with the lack of guidance.

Honestly, the problem I have here really is the obviousness of where it's all heading. To be fair, though, it would have all felt the same if he'd been a good kid who was being beaten up, bullied and put down upon - that would have been predictable too I suppose.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:53 pm

JL #0

Bigtymin504

">

Postby shining knight » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:55 am

Soooo

The question is now closer to his jlu counterpart but with a very bizarre magic based backstory now?
shining knight

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 pm

shining knight wrote:Soooo

The question is now closer to his jlu counterpart but with a very bizarre magic based backstory now?

Yep. No resemblance at all to the classic Denny O'Neill/Denys Cowan Question at all.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 am

JL #13

I am really struggling with this book. The main story just did nothing for me whereas the backup story actually did get me interested in the new JLA book. At least I can look forward to Ivan Reis coming on board - that's something.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:25 pm

JL #14

Okay, this may have been the first issue of this entire run I truly liked. Not sure what it was but it just seemed to click better for me. Perhaps it was the signs of actual teamwork or perhaps the potential of things to come. Clearly Cheetah has manipulated them into getting her just where she wanted. Plus her being in league with Black Manta - and, really, can there be any other reason to get into Belle Reve than to bust some others out of there?

The Superman and Diana stuff was quite interesting too - particularly, that Batman was keeping an eye on them. I didn't quite buy some of the stuff Diana was saying (or rather that Geoff Johns was writing) when you consider that she has a group of friends she can trust over in her own book (although, to be fair, she's recently been betrayed by Hermes there too).
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Batman25JM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am

Justice League #14

This did nothing for me. This really should be DC's best book, but it is constantly disappointing. I don't know what's up because Geoff Johns is a better writer than this.
Batman25JM

">

Postby rwe1138 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Even in the Nu52, Bruce likes to watch.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby aleams » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 am

Justice League #14

I guess I'm in the minority here. I enjoyed the main story. For someone who doesn't care too much for Daniel's art, I loved it here. It was consistent and didn't seem like it was trying to be a different style like he did when he was drawing Batman. That said, this is a two part story to prepare us for a huge Atlantis story so I'm absolutely okay with this. I'm not the hugest Cheetah fan, but I thought she fit the dynamic of the issue. Certainly she knew better than to face the League alone so it makes sense with Manta on board why this would be a good filler.

On the SHAZAM backup, I am absolutely in love with this on so many levels. Every issue, I get so excited after I read it. It makes that extra dollar so much more worth it. The pacing is beautiful especially for a side-story. Frank's art is consistently phenomenal. I want to see this team have their own series with SHAZAM just because it's so interesting right now. I feel like Johns could write this story forever and I would be happy. This and Wonder Woman are the best things to come out of the New 52.

I'm worried with the coming inclusion of SHAZAM to the League that this will ruin my favorite story right now. I will stay hopeful and keep reading.
- Andrew L.

NEVER FORGET
aleams

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Justice League #15

I legitimately loved this issue. This is the first issue I've enjoyed in a LONG time. It honestly felt more like the old DCU, and I'm all for that. I'm hoping that Johns has found his footing with this book. If the rest of this crossover is this enjoyable then I'll be happy.

Ivan Reis's art was fantastic. I LOVE how he draws everyone.
Last edited by Batman25JM on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Batman25JM wrote:Justice League #15

I legitimately loved this issue. This is the first issue I've enjoyed it a LONG time. It honestly felt more like the old DCU, and I'm all for that. I'm hoping that Johns has found his footing with this book. If the rest of this crossover is this enjoyable then I'll be happy.

Completely agree with everything you say here. For me, I think this was the first issue of this comic I've truly enjoyed since it started. I liked the last issue - I thought something was starting to shine through with the feel of the book and now it finally felt right with this issue. The dynamic between the characters, the scope of the story, the fantastic art - it all finally clicked for me.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Justice League #15

I legitimately loved this issue. This is the first issue I've enjoyed it a LONG time. It honestly felt more like the old DCU, and I'm all for that. I'm hoping that Johns has found his footing with this book. If the rest of this crossover is this enjoyable then I'll be happy.

Completely agree with everything you say here. For me, I think this was the first issue of this comic I've truly enjoyed since it started. I liked the last issue - I thought something was starting to shine through with the feel of the book and now it finally felt right with this issue. The dynamic between the characters, the scope of the story, the fantastic art - it all finally clicked for me.

I thought this was probably the best issue yet too...but maybe that's not saying much since I still didn't really love it. Good sign for the book though.

Is it sacrilegious to say the Ivan Reis outdrew the heck out of Jim Lee? He's DC's best artist going IMO.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:Is it sacrilegious to say the Ivan Reis outdrew the heck out of Jim Lee? He's DC's best artist going IMO.

Not at all - I think you're dead right. Reis's work was terrific and I've been very unimpressed with Lee's work on this book.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 am

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Is it sacrilegious to say the Ivan Reis outdrew the heck out of Jim Lee? He's DC's best artist going IMO.

Not at all - I think you're dead right. Reis's work was terrific and I've been very unimpressed with Lee's work on this book.

I love Jim Lee's artwork, but Ivan Reis killed it on the book. I preferred Reis's art to Lee's. Honestly, I think his art was the shot that this book needed. Just looking at the cover to the last issue gets me excited. And I much prefer Reis's Cyborg to Jim Lee's. Lee's Cyborg was too bulky for my tastes.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am

I like Jim Lee but I think I like him in small doses. On a limited series or as a guest fill-in artist. I just don't think he had what it takes to do a monthly title which I think bodes badly for the new Man of Steel book.
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Justice League #16

Another good issue. I hope that once the crossover is over that the book can maintain this momentum.

Ivan Reis is absolutely killing it.

I so want Black Canary to join the team.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 am

Batman25JM wrote:Justice League #16

Another good issue. I hope that once the crossover is over that the book can maintain this momentum.

Ivan Reis is absolutely killing it.

I so want Black Canary to join the team.

Well it looks like she might be. At least briefly.

I thought this was really good too. The book feels as if its finally hitting its stride. There's some big stuff planned after this crossover so I think it will continue. The key is getting these characters into some good adventures. Added to that, the in-fighting and differences of opinion are starting to work because they are based on some strong philosophical differences which feel real to me (for the characters that is) - until now I wasn't really buying it.

And Ivan Reis....just wow. I'll take this art any day over Jim Lee's.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm

JL #17

I thought this was an excellent finale. This was a really good crossover and it was meaningful - it's now set up important storylines in Aquaman and in Justice League and the new JLA book. It feels to me like Geoff Johns has finally got this book right. And with Ivan Reis absolutely killing it on the art this now feels like it's DC's flagship title.

Does anyone else think Aquaman was a bit harsh on Orm? Orm was duped. He legitimately thought the surface world had attacked Atlantis. I sort of feel like he's been a little bit harshly treated. At the very last he could have been incarcerated in Atlantis. I feel sorry for him.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Arsenal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 am

Aussiemandias wrote:JL #17

Does anyone else think Aquaman was a bit harsh on Orm? Orm was duped. He legitimately thought the surface world had attacked Atlantis. I sort of feel like he's been a little bit harshly treated. At the very last he could have been incarcerated in Atlantis. I feel sorry for him.

I agree his punishment was a bit over the top, but it does make sense why Aquaman did it. He is the new King of Atlantis so giving the surface world the person who attacked them to be punished makes sense politically, because no one on the surface cares if he was tricked or not he still attacked and killed surface people. It would be the same as Canada being tricked into attacking the USA, no one is going to just let it slide even if they were tricked.
Arsenal

">

Postby Batman25JM » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:43 am

I enjoyed issue #17. I too think that Orm's punishment may have been too harsh. I actually really feel bad for him. However, I was thinking the same thing as Arsenal. It makes sense politically.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 am

I liked issue #18 well enough. I was really bummed that they teased us with Nightwing being there and then not joining. Granted, it makes sense character-wise, but damn it, I want him on a team. In the New 52 he was never a Teen Titan nor was he ever on any other team. A good chunk of Nightwing's character is that he's a natural born leader. If they aren't going to put him on the Justice League then he should start a new version of the Outsiders.

I was also bummed that Black Canary didn't join the team. I'd kill to have her on the team.

So, I see that Ronnie and Jason are now one Firestorm again. Last I read of them (not counting the appearance during the Throne of Atlantis arc) they were two separate Firestorms. Granted, I dropped the Firestorm book after two god awful issues.

Element Woman mentioned Rex Mason. Do know his story in the New 52 continuity? Is he Metamorpho?
Batman25JM

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Batman25JM wrote:Element Woman mentioned Rex Mason. Do know his story in the New 52 continuity? Is he Metamorpho?

Not sure I've seen it anywhere.

It wasn't a bad issue but it was yet another membership issue. When you consider the same thing has been going on in the new JLA book, it's probably a bit much. I, too, would have liked Black Canary to join up.

Great work from Jesus Saiz - I love his art.

This new Atom highlights to me the change for change sake approach of the new 52. I understand that the Ray Palmer character is off doing other things and isn't a super hero in the new 52 but why (he was a scientist or something over in the Frankenstein book, right?)? Why wouldn't you make him the Atom? I'm afraid I'll just never get some of the reasoning for this stuff. You can do a big change like this and respect the history of characters at the same time, surely?

It has also crossed my mind that DC actually undermined their own big return of Barry Allen. Barry returning was a big moment in the previous DCU continuity/storyline and it existed for all of 2 seconds. So much potential for good stories there and the fact is that in the new 52 he never died. His return is effectively meaningless.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

JL #19

So, who busted into the Bat Cave? The indications are that it is someone who knows that place very well. Looks like an inside job to me.

This wasn't a bad issue but mostly set up for the next issue and I like the arrival of Despero. I still really don't get why the Atom isn't Ray Palmer but the nod to the old Sword of the Atom series was good. As usual Ivan Reis's art was just fantastic.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Arsenal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 am

I think Bruce broke in either ind controlled or just off his rocker because of Damien. That or Lincoln Marsh is back, that would be cool
Arsenal

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Arsenal wrote:I think Bruce broke in either ind controlled or just off his rocker because of Damien. That or Lincoln Marsh is back, that would be cool

It seems to point towards Bruce and that's what I thought however Cyborg mentions whoever it was weighed about 180lbs and I would think Bruce is heavier than that.
Aussiemandias

PreviousNext

Return to DC