Justice League

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: Justice League

Postby Batman25JM » Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 pm

riv6672 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
I'm only really familiar with the Question from Justice League Unlimited (I LOVED him in that though), but I really don't like that they've changed him so much. I hate that they've taken a street level hero and made him cosmic.
Wait what? Vic Sage is back? What am i missing here?

In the Free Comic Book Day book that DC put out, The New 52, you learn that the Question is one of the Trinity of Sin. The other two are Pandora and the Phantom Stranger.
Batman25JM

">

Postby riv6672 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Huh. Didn't see that coming.
riv6672

">

Postby rwe1138 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:05 pm

riv6672 wrote:Huh. Didn't see that coming.

I don't think anyone did.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby prescribeddrone » Wed May 30, 2012 2:04 am

On the brink of dropping this... last 3 issues have been boring.
prescribeddrone

">

Postby D-Rock » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:23 pm

I'll agree that the book has been pretty slow paced, but to me it feels like something is brewing. We're seeing that build with Trevor's abduction and torture. When this storyline comes to a head, I think it's going to be pretty intense. As for the issue itself, I liked the personal moments between heroes. We're starting to see those connections form again, and I even enjoyed the Shazam backup. Anything Black Adam related is a bonus for me.

If there's anything I've learned about comics over the years it's this; "In Johns I trust" :lol:
D-Rock

">

Postby riv6672 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:20 am

I definately agree with you. I can deal with the slow pace, as it's still being a fun ride for me. Feel really bad for Steve, i remember when Katy Perry dumped me recently, the tabloids had a field day. Thankfully her divorce overshadowed our affair.
riv6672

">

Postby rwe1138 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm

#10 was okay. I'm more interested in the Shazam back-up than I am the main story, though.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:30 pm

rwe1138 wrote:#10 was okay. I'm more interested in the Shazam back-up than I am the main story, though.

Yeah it was the same for me. The stuff with Black Adam I was far more interested in than the main story. That's kind of a bad sign. Haven't got much to say about the main story and villain other than.....yawn.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby rwe1138 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:57 pm

#11 was okay, but I'm not a huge fan of teammates fighting each other for such lame reasons. The stuff with Cyborg was interesting, though. But once again, the main story was overshadowed by the Shazam back-up.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Justice League #11

I thought Lee's art was great. It was my favorite part of the JL portion of the book.

The reasons for the fight were lame, and it was obviously just done so the public loses faith in the heroes. I still can't believe that this team has worked together for 5 years. They still act like they've known each other for weeks at most.

The Shazam backup was good. It was a really fast read though.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 am

I flipped through this and wasn't all that impressed. The art as usual was great but I simply don't see this as a team that has worked together for as long as they were supposed to be. The fight felt forced and just useless. Just didn't work for me. As always, the backup is the best part of the issue once again but I won't buy an issue just for the backup so I'm hoping at some point, all of the backups are collected because I think it deserves it's own thing to shine.
jaydee74

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Justice League #11

The world might think the sun shines out of Geoff Johns's arse (not sure if you have that saying the states but it means everyone thinks he's perfect) but Justice League, for me, has been pretty damn disappointing. I'm finding the whole thing dumb, quite frankly, and nothing about the story resonates with me. About the only thing I found interesting in this issue was Wonder Woman breaking GL's constructs (but the fight itself was ridiculous and Diana drawing her sword on GL was somewhat annoying - I actually think Johns has just got Diana completely wrong in this book). Anyway, I think it might be time to drop the book. The only saving grace is the Shazam back-up which I'm definitely interested in.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Justice League #12
So I really just skimmed this so I can't say much about the overall story but I thought the beginning of the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship was kind of cool and somehow this issue sets the stage for the Justice League of America series. Not bad.
jaydee74

">

Postby rwe1138 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Man, Geoff sure likes his "coming soon" teases, doesn't he?
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Issue #12 was okay. My favorite part of the issue was the conversation between Steve and Diana. I liked that we got a little more info on their history. I really really like Steve.

The art was great. I love Jim Lee's art so damn much. His art has been the saving grace of this book.

I reread issues #1-6 and #9-11. There are parts I like within the books, and Jim Lee's art is great, but my problem with this book is that everything feels hollow. Things are just empty. I hope that changes soon.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Denim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 pm

I still don't care for this title. I am more interested in the highlights of it than the actual story. I didn't care at all for the Superman and Wonder Woman thing until I read Justice League International Annual 1. Now that I know that their relationship will be not only key to something coming up but that it is not supposed to happen, they have got me with that.
Denim

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Justice League #12

I continue to not enjoy this comic but I can't bring myself to drop it. It feels like important things are going to happen here (although they haven't yet in a year - this book has done pretty much nothing in a year) and to drop it would be to miss out. I am going to continue to hope that it picks up but, quite frankly, I find this to be Geoff Johns's worst work in many years.

Batman25JM wrote:but my problem with this book is that everything feels hollow. Things are just empty.

I think this is one of the feelings I get from the book too. Something is really missing.

Was anyone actually impressed by this villain, Graves? I think everything about him was pretty weak. His motivations, his back story and most of all his powers - I think his powers were so sketchy I'm still not clear that he was much of a threat.

I have to say also that I think Jim Lee's art looked really rushed on some pages - I don't feel like he's been doing that great a job on this book.

So, all up it's pretty clear I'm not happy with Justice League but haven't got the willpower to drop it. Hal would not be impressed.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 am

Graves was a very lackluster villain. His powers were not defined well, and his motivations were very generic. I feel like I've seen dozens of villains like Graves.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 pm

With the League in some trouble after issue #12 and the developments in the JLI Annual, I think it'd be a perfect time for Batman to start putting together the Outsiders. I know they're not planning on doing that, but I'd love it if they did.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Meh. Kinda my feelings on this whole Johns/Lee run so far. It's not even close to either of their best work. Graves was total weak sauce.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Reis officially replacing Lee with #15

Great fit. Lee is a legend but his work hasn't been his best on this monthly schedule. That said, pretty impressed he lasted this long with just a fill in here and there. I guess they were smart enough to give him plenty of lead time.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby rwe1138 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

I enjoyed #0 more than any other recent issues, maybe even since the whole relaunch. Billy having fun was a blast. It really reminded me of Irredeemable Ant-Man.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby Arsenal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Billy getting the powers was good, but I am not sold on his personality.

It was nice seeing him have fun but I am sure that soon enough we will see him mature
Arsenal

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Justice League #0

The art was just gorgeous.

As far as the story goes - in a book where crap all has happened in 12 months I find this whole thing a weird deviation. This whole Shazam story should have been in a mini series or something - maybe over in DCU Presents. I realise that it's probably all going to link back to the Justice League at some point but it just seems out of place here at the moment.

The thing that had me most interested in this story was Black Adam coming back. Apart from that I find Billy Batson to be a jerk (and not in an endearing sort of comedic way as you're comparing him, rwe) and a pretty unlikable jerk at that. Sure, I get it - he's got a heart of gold but he's just had tough times and been taken advantage of so he puts on the difficult exterior - well, that doesn't excuse him from being a petulant jerk. There's plenty of people who have had the same experiences and still remain good people. Anyway, this storyline is so obvious that we'll see Billy learn some lessons and become a better person - the whole thing is terribly predictable and telegraphed.

I'm really hoping things pick up on this book with next issue.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:Justice League #0

The art was just gorgeous.

As far as the story goes - in a book where crap all has happened in 12 months I find this whole thing a weird deviation. This whole Shazam story should have been in a mini series or something - maybe over in DCU Presents. I realise that it's probably all going to link back to the Justice League at some point but it just seems out of place here at the moment.

The thing that had me most interested in this story was Black Adam coming back. Apart from that I find Billy Batson to be a jerk (and not in an endearing sort of comedic way as you're comparing him, rwe) and a pretty unlikable jerk at that. Sure, I get it - he's got a heart of gold but he's just had tough times and been taken advantage of so he puts on the difficult exterior - well, that doesn't excuse him from being a petulant jerk. There's plenty of people who have had the same experiences and still remain good people. Anyway, this storyline is so obvious that we'll see Billy learn some lessons and become a better person - the whole thing is terribly predictable and telegraphed.

I'm really hoping things pick up on this book with next issue.

He's a kid though with no guidance. The fact that he has any capacity for good is impressive because most kid that age having dealt with what he has dealt with would have turned to gangs, selling drugs, and all kinds of horrible crimes. His worst crime is being petulant and the random misdemeanor here and there (boys without guidance being boys without guidance). He could be so much, and I mean SO MUCH worse but he's not. I think he deserves some slack,especially with the lack of guidance.

In any case thought the issue was pretty good. I think it is interesting the spin on Black Adam as well as seeing what has become of these ancient wizards. Should be interesting to see how he ends up a true hero. The whole making money thing cracked me up. He's in for some interesting times.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

PreviousNext

Return to DC