Justice League

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Justice League

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 am

Discussions and Reviews
jaydee74

">

Re: Justice League

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 am

Justice League #1
I enjoyed this first issue. It focuses on Batman and Green Lantern for this issue and it's enjoyable. Looking forward to the next issue a whole lot.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 am

As I am not lucky enough to get this issue until later today, here are a few questions, spoiler the crap out of me if you want

1- Does it explain why Hal is GL and not Sinestro, as Sinestro is GL in the GL Book

2- Is this a building a new team or is the team out there

3- Is it actually worth a read or wait for trade

4- Any major changes you can see in the new U from this book
Arsenal

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 am

^I haven't read it yet, but I can answer your first two questions. Hal is GL instead of Sinestro because this book takes place five years in the past and shows how the Justice League formed (so it's building a new team).
Batman25JM

">

Postby Thundermatts » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

I really enjoyed this, and it made me excited for the rest of the reboot. This has gotten me back into buying comics every week.
You are absolutely, perfectly seeing a rainbow. We're being goofy buddy, we're being so goofy- Me, talking in my sleep.
Thundermatts

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

So 5 years ago the JLA formed, this shows how it happened.

However in those 5 years all the GL events happened to the point where Hal was stripped of his position and Sinestro is back in power? Yup this is going to confuse the hell out of me
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

This is an origin story. This first arc shows the forming of the Justice League. Everyone who is in this book is basically meeting for the first time. Everyone who appears in the book feels younger than they did before. Other than that, too soon to say.
jaydee74

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 pm

Arsenal wrote:So 5 years ago the JLA formed, this shows how it happened.

However in those 5 years all the GL events happened to the point where Hal was stripped of his position and Sinestro is back in power? Yup this is going to confuse the hell out of me

I gotta believe the writers thought of this. They did say that everything that happened in certain continuities still happened but consider it more accelerated. In other words, Hal had a very busy 5 years. Same with Batman but he's been around longer. He's only been out in the public for 5 years but he's been actually around longer than that. At least that's what I gathered from everything I've read about the Batman history.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Yeah Hal would have had it rough, in the last 5 years he

Became a GL
Saw His girlfriend go evil, have her masculine side take form and date herself
Went Grey
His home town gets blow up (did this happen? Death of Superman?)
Went crazy
Killed every other GL
Saved the universe
Became the Specter
Came back to life
Fought some Yellow Lanterns
Found a bunch of other colored lanterns
Dealt with the darkest night
Found the white lantern
ran around with the other colored lanterns
fought in a war of green lanterns
got fired

Wow that is one crappy 5 year period, but I think Batman's 5 years of being public is worse.
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

True although we don't know yet how long Batman's history in this new universe actually is and how is timeline has changed. I would almost say he might have been operating twice as long as everyone else but that's just a theory.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:01 pm

I could see an extra 5 years, but I would guess 2.

I would see those first 2 years being when he is mostly messing with the mob, and the last part of being "underground" when the costumed freaks start to show, harder to stay in the shadows when you are fighting a clown with laughing gas bombs

But I wonder if Knightfall happened, or did Jason died and come back or just quit/get fired. Hell did any of the crisis's happen?

I still am hopeful for this "reboot" but man I have a lot of questions that need to be answered
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 pm

I think a lot of people have questions about what's going to be included and what's not. I can only assume that there will be things that will be excluded in the new universe but again, just a theory.
jaydee74

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Justice League #1

With a comic release this massively monumental, the biggest since Civil War #1, it's almost impossible to live up to the hype so I really didn't expect it to. Going in with tamed expectations, I enjoyed it. It was basically just a Batman/Green Lantern team up with a good bit of exposition, which is fine since the book is clearly tailored towards acclimating the potential new readers. Although new readers might be a bit confused why a book called Justice League had less than half the actual League appear in it.

Overall, it was a fun start to the new DCU which got me excited to read more, particularly about Superman. I'm also very happy that Darkseid seems to be the big bad that will require all these heroes to band together. He is no doubt a threat worthy of the entire League. Jim Lee's art was as pretty and detailed as ever so lets just hope he's able to stay on schedule as well as keep up quality, at least for the first arc or two.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby timeconsumer.tad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:06 pm

it's been waaaaay too long since i posted here...

anyway, i picked this up last night at the midnight release along with the 5 issues of Flashpoint.

i'm basically starting with a clean slate on the new 52, if the writers bring up something from the past then i'll go with it, but if not i don't mind pretending that none of it ever happened. these are, after all, fictional stories where the continuity has been effed up so much to the point where something referenced in one issue may be completely contradicted in the next, i'm hoping that with this new DC universe there is some sort of mandate that says exactly what did and did not occur, so that nothing unnecessary from the past gets added.
timeconsumer.tad

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

That's what I'm hoping for as well.
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Justice League #1

Honestly, I loved this. This is a what a JL comic should be. It's gotten me even more excited for the new 52.

I will say that some of the exposition in this issue was a bit clunky. Some of Hal's dialogue felt a bit off. I wasn't too big on him referring to himself in the third person. It was a minor issue though.

Darkseid being the thing that brings the JL together is great.

I'm starting to really warm up to a lot of the redesigned costumes. I really liked how Batman, GL and Superman looked in this issue. I also liked how Batman and Flash looked in Flashpoint #5.

Jim Lee's art was awesome.

I still think there are going to be continuity problems, but this was a very fun read and I can't want to read more.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:06 pm

I don't think there will be major continuity problems if certain things never happened. Even if the powers-that-be say that they did, it's just easier not to dwell on every detail otherwise your brain will explode. It's true. I've seen it happen. Rather messy. ;)
jaydee74

">

Postby rwe1138 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 pm

As a team-up between Bats & GL, it was a great issue. As a #1 issue of Justice League, it was meh.
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

It's just the first part. The members are slowly coming together. By issue's end, we have seen three members of the team. It's gotta build. I didn't expect the entire group just to show up on panel together right away.
jaydee74

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:29 pm

That is a good catch. Do you think it's a contingency plan in case this whole new direction is a flop?
jaydee74

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Batman25JM wrote:The Justice League/Flashpoint Crossover Everybody Missed

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/31/the-justice-leagueflashpoint-crossover-everybody-missed/

Wow I was wondering who that person was at the end of Flashpoint...anybody know? The fact that she(?) shows up in the background of JL #1 is veeeery interesting. Probably a potential out like jaydee said.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:26 pm

When they showed her in Flashpoint my first thought was that it was a way out if they should ever want to use it.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:19 pm

I have to say I liked the first issue, it was very interesting and a good read, plus it was pretty. A slow start but I \will stick it out till the end of the first arc.

I can see the classic Batman and Green Lantern butting heads is starting up already.
Arsenal

">

Postby Rath99 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Batman25JM wrote:When they showed her in Flashpoint my first thought was that it was a way out if they should ever want to use it.

If they back out on this FUCK DC!
Rath99

Next

Return to DC