Action Comics

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Batman25JM » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 am

Action Comics #1

I was kind of meh about this. I think it's pretty clear at this point that I have no love for Morrison. This wasn't bad or too Morrison-y, but it also didn't do a whole lot for me. I didn't hate it though, and there were parts I liked. I just wasn't over the moon with it. The art was awesome. Rags Morales is great. I'm going to stick with the book for now, but I think I'm going to take it on an issue by issue basis. If the books starts to get too Morrison-y then I'm dropping it.
Batman25JM

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I like this because I want to see the evolution of this new Superman. He seems very interesting to me.
jaydee74

">

Postby Rath99 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:27 pm

A Superman book that actually has me looking forward to the next issue. Miracles can happen folks! ;)
Rath99

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm

I reviewed Action Comics #1 for PanelsOnPages: http://panelsonpages.com/?p=42878
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Action Comics #1

GD good. I'm a big Superman fan but even I'll admit that he needed some kind of update to jump start his waning popularity. This Social Justice Superman take by Grant Morrison just might be what the character needed. Morrison isn't often my cup of tea but if there's one thing he gets, its Superman. Looking forward to seeing how Supes eventually wins over the police, he seems to have the general public falling in love with him already.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I really like that Morrison is going back to the early roots of the character in this book. Looks like it'll stay on my pull list.
Brand New Blog!!!!: http://crackingthebooks.wordpress.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/comicgeekelly
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1168397971
Joshua wrote:There's this shirt at the mall that looks like it's been well-made, but it looks just like every other shirt out these days. It's pointless for me to spend money on something I'm only vaguely interested in, I think I'll just stuff it in my pants and walk out with it.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby D-Rock » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:43 am

Not much to add that hasn't been said, I thought this was a pretty solid start as well. I did enjoy Lex's speech about invasive species decimating the natural environment, and that's how he views Superman. I like Lex when he's a more grounded villain as suggested here.
D-Rock

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:55 am

I think I want to read this in trade. I want to be able to read this in chunks and I think with Morrison, trades are always a better route for me.
jaydee74

">

Postby Joshua » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 pm

jaydee74 wrote:I think with Morrison, trades are always a better route

Truth.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Arsenal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 pm

I re-re-reread the book and noticed that Clark's land lady was talking about when Superman caught a man beating his wife and that Superman broke the man's ribs etc and then today I found this page from the original Action Comics #1

It's stuff like this that I like.
Arsenal

">

Postby Joshua » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Holy shit, that last panel is awesome!
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Golden Age Superman was pretty awesome.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:37 pm

He really was. A lot of Action #1 was Golden Age, from what I have read in old issues, or have been told, he did the whole scare criminals thing before Batman was around, just out in broad daylight. It's pretty cool that they are going back to it
Arsenal

">

Postby Strider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:32 am

Eh, I liked this story better the first time I read it when it was called Superman: Earth One.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Joshua » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 am

Arsenal wrote:A lot of Action #1 was Golden Age

Wouldn't the entire issue have been Golden Age? :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am

Joshua wrote:

I think the first half came out in the golden age and the second half came out in the silver age. :lol:
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:50 am

jaydee74 wrote:
Joshua wrote:

I think the first half came out in the golden age and the second half came out in the silver age. :lol:

I hate you guys so much I am going to invent a new word to explain it. :mrgreen:

But yes the entire book was Golden Age, and what I mean was that the new Action #1 had a lot of Golden age touches to it.
Arsenal

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 am

Strider wrote:Eh, I liked this story better the first time I read it when it was called Superman: Earth One.

I don't think this was a redo of Earth One at all. Morrison managed to make Superman way more interesting a character than JMS did.
Joshua wrote:There's this shirt at the mall that looks like it's been well-made, but it looks just like every other shirt out these days. It's pointless for me to spend money on something I'm only vaguely interested in, I think I'll just stuff it in my pants and walk out with it.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 am

comicgeekelly wrote:
Strider wrote:Eh, I liked this story better the first time I read it when it was called Superman: Earth One.

I don't think this was a redo of Earth One at all. Morrison managed to make Superman way more interesting a character than JMS did.

Agreed. To be honest, I was hoping that Earth One would be more like what we got in Action Comics. Not that Earth One was bad but I liked this better.
jaydee74

">

Postby elijahdprophet » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:33 pm

jaydee74 wrote:
comicgeekelly wrote:

Agreed. To be honest, I was hoping that Earth One would be more like what we got in Action Comics. Not that Earth One was bad but I liked this better.

Earth One was good up until the straight up 90s bad guy.
elijahdprophet

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:48 pm

elijahdprophet wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:
Earth One was good up until the straight up 90s bad guy.

Pfft the David Bowie cosplaing as the Crow alien was awesome
Arsenal

">

Postby Strider » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 am

comicgeekelly wrote:

It was a little too close for my taste.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
Strider

">

Postby Batman25JM » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Action Comics #2

I actually liked this quite a bit. I definitely enjoyed it more than issue #1. I like this depowered Superman. I really hope that Morrison can keep me aboard. With the reveal of the last page I worry that the book will start to get too Morrion-y for me real soon.
Batman25JM

">

Postby comicgeekelly » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:44 pm

After reading All Star Superman and then these two issues of Action Comics, I'll read any Superman comic that Grant Morrison writes. Action Comics might be my favorite of the reboots.

comicgeekelly

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:07 am

comicgeekelly wrote:After reading All Star Superman and then these two issues of Action Comics, I'll read any Superman comic that Grant Morrison writes. Action Comics might be my favorite of the reboots.

Agreed. I'm loving this book. Luthor's insistence on calling Supes "it" was hilarious. And the reveal was cool, I'm sure we'll see that play out more down the line though.
Bigtymin504

PreviousNext

Return to DC