Action Comics

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Action Comics

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Discussion and Reviews
jaydee74

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby jaydee74 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:56 pm

jaydee74

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:55 am

While saddened that the book will no longer solely focus on Lex, the prospects of this hyperion-esque Luthor and Supes squaring off will more than make up for it. I'm assuming Cornell's staying on even with the focal change?
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby D-Rock » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Yeeeah.. I'm really in the fence with this current arc. Some parts have been cool, but Luthor should never win when it comes to fisticuffs with Brainiac.
D-Rock

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I may be the only one who feels like this but...I'm kind of disappointed in this series. It was enjoyable but it was not what I thought it would be. I thought they would go into how the rings work (especially the black lantern rings) and would have Lex actually encounter people who know something about the rings (I mean, Joker? Really? :roll: ). In short, I was expecting insight and got Lex-wank. At this point, I'm glad this arc is coming to a close. I simply don't care for it anymore.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 am

Did anyone else pick up the Jimmy Olsen one-shot?

I originally scoffed at it with its $6 price, then saw all the 5-star reviews across the interweb. Though I read more than half of this already in the old back-ups, it was WELL WORTH it! I'm glad I got to re-read--and read as a whole--the amazing story Spencer conjured up. Marvel's lucky to have him.

But wasn't that RB Silva art something special? He deserves a good full-time title to work on. How about Superman--since it constantly changes artists seemingly monthly?

Having already read half of Jimmy Olsen #1 before only makes it better the 2nd time out...and makes it a hell of a lot easier to re-read as well. :)

5/5
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby D-Rock » Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 am

Action Comics #901

The Super Group is still stuck in Luthor's Doomsday trap (heh), and now that ship is hurtling towards Earth. "Obama" calls out Superman, asking him to answer the call from his country (interesting to see how Supes reacts to that considering his current stand). Next issue appears to bring the battle back to Metropolis with another threat thrown into the mix. Not sure if this is another clone or a new reveal. Time will tell..
D-Rock

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Sun May 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Action Comics #901

Is Superman the worst superhero in comics?

It appears most comic writers have a troubling time scripting up this legendary figure, this side of recent efforts from Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns—who arguably could make shit figures out of shingles seem appealing. Yet, no one’s been able to pull any personality out of this guy. James Robinson? Don’t make me laugh. Greg Rucka? He brought back two other characters that eventually didn’t matter. Even J.M.S., author of classically epic runs on both Spider-Man and Thor, had a strong case of relaunch-failure.

To recap, Clark canoodled across the good ol’ U.S.A. like a slightly more intelligent Forrest Gump, spewing off cliché messages to those who most need it. Even the “Earth One” version of the character didn’t go over as planned.
Will Chris Nolan and Zach Snyder do something with the film franchise? So far the cast looks amazing, and Snyder’s CGI in Sucker Punch was damn near flawless (even when the movie was far from it). Nolan’s track record, of course, speaks for itself.

As far as comics? Shit. Green Lantern is arguably more popular at this point than Supes, even rivaling Batman in that notion. Even a horde of gruesome Doomsday killers—from the man who delivered a classic Action run featuring Lex Luthor—can’t save the Man of Tomorrow.

This book just sucks.

As much as I tried to like it, the dialogue was as stale as you could get. If you’ve read my previous reviews or remarks of Cornell’s work (i.e. Captain Britain & the MI13, Dark X-Men, the aforementioned Luthor-starred Action Comics), you know how highly I feel about the man. But this? Blegh.

Instead of intelligent quips, unpredictable mind-fucking, and just damn-near great writing, we’re receiving more of the same old—with the “shock” death thrown to boot. Not that we’ve even been to okeen on this fallen character in the past couple years, anyway.

I want Luthor back, and I want it now. Sure, I’ll get the next couple issues just to see if Cornell can pull this trash out of a black hole, or for this instance, the updated, superior version of Doomsday crashing planet Earth. I’d hate to see this ultra-talented and sickly-underrated creator go wayside to shlockfest.

But don’t blame him. Hardly anyone can write Superman.

1.5/5
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby D-Rock » Mon May 30, 2011 3:04 am

LOOSECANNON wrote:Action Comics #901

Is Superman the worst superhero in comics? Hardly anyone can write Superman.

False. I think like with any character, he's currently in somewhat of a slump. And I think like with any character, it takes the right creative pairing to make some magic. The Green Lantern books were B-list until Johns and Tomasi came along. Avengers were an afterthought until Bendis came along. And in both of those examples, it's been the same creative force for years. If they were to leave, would the books keep that level of quality? Hard to say. There may be some writers that could carry the torch, but probably not many.

Now take a book like Superman where the creative team hasn't been consistent. Each new team wants to run with their own story, so you lose that sense of connectivity the previous titles mentioned benefit from. A let's face it, regardless of the character, when you're not dealing with an A-list writer most arcs are just average at best. Which is why readership has such a drop-off when an A-list writer leaves a book. It's not the character, it's the lack of creativity. And unfortunately, the Big Two don't seem as willing to hire fresh blood unless they have some kind of "in".

P.S. - JMS is overrated. He may do well with dialogue, but his plots have never impressed me.
D-Rock

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 pm

D-Rock wrote:
LOOSECANNON wrote:Action Comics #901

Is Superman the worst superhero in comics? Hardly anyone can write Superman.

False. I think like with any character, he's currently in somewhat of a slump. And I think like with any character, it takes the right creative pairing to make some magic. The Green Lantern books were B-list until Johns and Tomasi came along. Avengers were an afterthought until Bendis came along. And in both of those examples, it's been the same creative force for years. If they were to leave, would the books keep that level of quality? Hard to say. There may be some writers that could carry the torch, but probably not many.

Now take a book like Superman where the creative team hasn't been consistent. Each new team wants to run with their own story, so you lose that sense of connectivity the previous titles mentioned benefit from. A let's face it, regardless of the character, when you're not dealing with an A-list writer most arcs are just average at best. Which is why readership has such a drop-off when an A-list writer leaves a book. It's not the character, it's the lack of creativity. And unfortunately, the Big Two don't seem as willing to hire fresh blood unless they have some kind of "in".

P.S. - JMS is overrated. He may do well with dialogue, but his plots have never impressed me.

They need to stop putting Superman on a pedestal and write him as what he is: a superhero. He is a man, not God, yet they treat him as such often times. It's annoying and makes it hard to write Superman outside his comfort zone. Too much reverence has never worked for a functioning character.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:30 pm

so this is set in the past? is this set in the same time as Justice League? Before it? I liked a more vulnerable Superman... I liked the everyone is against him alien thing going on. I hope they keep this...

The art was great felt like it was just another city from Batman the Animated Series..
shark6495

">

Postby Denim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Just finished it, wasn't that excited about it. I spent over over 10 years watching Clark and Lois grow into a realtionship that was followed with a marriage, not sure I really want to go through all that again. Just didn't grab me enough.
Denim

">

Postby Thundermatts » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 pm

The only place Green Lantern is even close to Superman level popularity is Bizarro World.
You are absolutely, perfectly seeing a rainbow. We're being goofy buddy, we're being so goofy- Me, talking in my sleep.
Thundermatts

">

Postby Rath99 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Haven't read this yet. If you know me you know I have no love for the Big Blue Boy Scout. From the reviews I've read he is flawed and there is some edge to him. I really want to like a Superman book. Let's see.
Rath99

">

Postby Combo Mo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Different but enjoyable. I'll keep reading.
Combo Mo

">

Postby prescribeddrone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 am

Loved it.
prescribeddrone

">

Postby Joshua » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:29 am

First issue was solid, I look forward to grabbing this in TPB.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:44 am

Joshua wrote:First issue was solid, I look forward to grabbing this in TPB.

Same here. I thought this first issue was solid and I am very intrigued with this version of Superman.
jaydee74

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 am

This is honestly the first Superman book in a long time I am going to be grabbing new.

The art is the thing for me I am not sure why by everyone's face looks not super model pretty and I like that I think.
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 am

I'm a fan of Rags Morales. The stuff he did for this issue was really great.
jaydee74

">

Postby Joshua » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 am

jaydee74 wrote:I'm a fan of Rags Morales.

Word. Nothing against Morrison, but the art was the real hero of this book.
ImageImage
Joshua

">

Postby Arsenal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 am

Thats what I was trying to say, I really liked it and everyone looked different as in you couldn't find two people with the same face and I really dug that.

I also could see a change between Superman's face and Clark's face, that was outstanding. I loved the art
Arsenal

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:19 am

Arsenal wrote:Thats what I was trying to say, I really liked it and everyone looked different as in you couldn't find two people with the same face and I really dug that.

I also could see a change between Superman's face and Clark's face, that was outstanding. I loved the art

The difference between Superman and Clark was really pretty cool.
jaydee74

">

Postby Debaser77 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Being lukewarm at best on Superman for most of my life and iffy on most of Grant Morrison's superhero stuff, I was actually quite surprised at how much I enjoyed this first issue. I really dig this jeans-clad Superman with an attitude.
Debaser77

">

Postby elijahdprophet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Really dug it. Rags Morales did a great job. Morrison's script was good and managed to be kind of revolutionary without trampling on the history and legacy of the character.
elijahdprophet

Next

Return to DC