Action Comics

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Bigtymin504 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm sorry but New 52 Superman is just terrible right now. I had high hopes but things are just as bad and uninteresting as they were before. Supes just feels dull, aloof, and soulless in every book he's in. His pseudo-symbiotic militaristic costume isn't helping either. Where's the strong, confident, and good-hearted Midwestern farm boy we all knew and loved? Something needs to change fast.
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby D-Rock » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Bigtymin504 wrote:I'm sorry but New 52 Superman is just terrible right now. I had high hopes but things are just as bad and uninteresting as they were before. Supes just feels dull, aloof, and soulless in every book he's in. His pseudo-symbiotic militaristic costume isn't helping either. Where's the strong, confident, and good-hearted Midwestern farm boy we all knew and loved? Something needs to change fast.


His main title was feeling pretty dated, but I contributed that to the fact that it was being written by George Perez. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sure, he's a well respected guy, but do you want to kick off your new "fresh" universe with a guy who was in his prime 20 years ago? There have been some odd writing choices lately. Just from talking on various boards, I know there's a wealth of fresh talent waiting to be found.. so is this really better than those other thousands of ideas? I find it hard to believe.
Image
User avatar
D-Rock
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm
Location: Connecticut

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Bigtymin504 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 am

D-Rock wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:I'm sorry but New 52 Superman is just terrible right now. I had high hopes but things are just as bad and uninteresting as they were before. Supes just feels dull, aloof, and soulless in every book he's in. His pseudo-symbiotic militaristic costume isn't helping either. Where's the strong, confident, and good-hearted Midwestern farm boy we all knew and loved? Something needs to change fast.


His main title was feeling pretty dated, but I contributed that to the fact that it was being written by George Perez. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sure, he's a well respected guy, but do you want to kick off your new "fresh" universe with a guy who was in his prime 20 years ago? There have been some odd writing choices lately. Just from talking on various boards, I know there's a wealth of fresh talent waiting to be found.. so is this really better than those other thousands of ideas? I find it hard to believe.


Totally agreed about Perez. That had me scratching my head when it was announced. Why not put some young gun writer on there to inject some new life into Supes? Somebody like Jeff Lemire for example could have been a great choice. Also, even Morrison just feels uninspired right now, and he's usually at his best when writing the Man of Steel. Very disappointing, especially considering previously stagnant icons like Wonder Woman and Aquaman are flourishing in the New 52.
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Peg leg Pete » Sun May 06, 2012 11:19 am

you know...i sort of like the alternate universe black Superman. it's a diversion from the main story, but it seems like a one-shot, so i'm ok with that. nubia brings up some really good points that makes New Supes a potentially very interesting character.
Image

Find out how you can sign up for a PoP! Passport:
http://www.panelsonpages.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=74999#p74958
User avatar
Peg leg Pete
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby D-Rock » Sun May 06, 2012 10:33 pm

This kind of felt like a throwaway issue. I mean, we're only 9 issues in and already the alternate stories come out? It seems like an odd choice when the main character hardly feels established.
Image
User avatar
D-Rock
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm
Location: Connecticut

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun May 06, 2012 11:22 pm

#9

I actually liked this issue. It was honestly more interesting than most of the Superman stories that have been churned out as of late. Luthor in this world is hilarious and actually comes across as more fun than regular Luthor. I will admit, part of me raged at the idea that the mini-justice league were dead, since they were one of the best things to come out of the Batman/Superman series.

Quick question: Are all the heroes black in this universe? Since Batman looked very..Morrison-ny to me. I kept expecting him to turn around and say something Morrison-like and make the comic even more Morrison-like than it already was (that machine takes me back to Final Crisis...I have to wonder if Morrison is pushing towards a connection).

Peg leg Pete wrote:nubia brings up some really good points that makes New Supes a potentially very interesting character.


This really made the issue for me. The concept of Superman in different societal roles and the examination of him in such roles makes for an interesting concept as far as comics go. In any case I really liked this issue.
Image
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
User avatar
Dr. Wade McNasty
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Engulfed in the hipster nihilism of our times.

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Peg leg Pete » Fri May 18, 2012 7:48 pm

it sort of seems that way.

the stuff with Nubia was probably my favorite as well. it really shines a light on the fact that Superman is a bit of a contradiction: he is for truth and justice, but he lies about his identity and operates outside the law.
Image

Find out how you can sign up for a PoP! Passport:
http://www.panelsonpages.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=74999#p74958
User avatar
Peg leg Pete
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby D-Rock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Issue #10 has me enjoying the series again. The setup of Clark's death has me interested about where that goes. The only thing that confused me in the book is when he meets up with the League. In Metropolis he's still wearing the jeans and t-shirt, but with the League he's in his blue armor. That had me scratching my head.
Image
User avatar
D-Rock
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm
Location: Connecticut

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 am

D-Rock wrote:Issue #10 has me enjoying the series again. The setup of Clark's death has me interested about where that goes. The only thing that confused me in the book is when he meets up with the League. In Metropolis he's still wearing the jeans and t-shirt, but with the League he's in his blue armor. That had me scratching my head.



I don't know. I tend to dress a little better when having people over. His street outfit was a spur of the moment change (he seemed angry too when he busted down the guy's door) while his alien outfit was a meeting he planned out and had. My only real complaint was the pacing and scene transitions but I have come to expect this kind of thing from Morrison. He does this when he is moving towards something big. In any case I liked this issue overall and liked the idea of a more proactive Superman. Everything is coming together and makes more sense now (like the President Superman and his conversation with Nubia). I'm expecting an interesting story arc.

I must say, after re-reading the series from start to finish, this series really reads well in that format. It certainly does help with the odd, almost cinema-like scene transitions.
Image
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
User avatar
Dr. Wade McNasty
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Engulfed in the hipster nihilism of our times.

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby D-Rock » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 am

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:I must say, after re-reading the series from start to finish, this series really reads well in that format.


Most of Morrison's work does :lol:
Image
User avatar
D-Rock
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm
Location: Connecticut

">

Re: Action Comics

Postby Denim » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:14 pm

I have kind of hated new 52 Superman and the whole family of books. I do like Andy Diggle as a writer though, so I did get issue 19 with the whole WTF cover gimmick and I did so knowing full well that this would be Diggles only issue of Action.

I enjoyed the beginning part, with the Lois and Clark interactions as well as the bit with Luthor, unfortunately there was a lot I did not like as well. The battle in the issue was a major problem with me due to the cover gimmick. The whole payoff to the gimmick was basically a couple of panels that Superman pretty much brushed off right after as something that was a hallucination basically. My other issue with the book was that it was not at all new reader friendly, it took me awhile to realize that the book is still set in the past as the events in the other Superman book does not mesh with this one. It would of been nice for DC to have placed a footnote somewhere about that.
User avatar
Denim
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 am
Location: Chicago Burbs

Previous

Return to DC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron