Wonder Woman

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Wonder Woman

Postby jaydee74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Discussion and Reviews
jaydee74

">

Re: Wonder Woman

Postby comicxombie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Wonder Woman's Original Costume Returns?

While the change of attire for Wonder Woman in her ongoing series was not the most prominent alteration that took place with the release of her 600th issue, it was something that definitely sparked a conversation. As a result, it's no wonder (no pun intended) that when the image of her in her original costume graced the variant cover for issue #609, that it would spark the conversation of whether or not it meant that she would soon return to her roots.

If you have been paying attention, then you know this is not the first time that we've seen DC hint at her "normal reality" and classic costume in the recent series. You may have noticed images of a Wonder Woman action figure, or graffiti art of Wonder Woman fighting in the last couple of issues- both depicting her in her classic costume. However, issue #609 will be the first time since the re-vamp of her series that we see the heroin appear front and center as her "normal" self.

Wonder Woman #609 (Variant)
On the variant cover, we see a classic Wonder Woman standing in front of the current Wonder Woman. The image is definitely beautiful, but not nearly as informative as the regular cover to issue #609. It is here that we see the current Wonder Woman laying on a battle field looking very defeated- behind this image are different versions of Wonder Woman from throughout her history, each of them fighting one another on what appears to be the ruins of Paradise Island (which has since been destroyed in the new series). Could this mean that the character may revert back to her "normal reality"?
comicxombie

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 pm

that was a very good article, but I'm hoping it stays with the new Wonder Woman, as it appears this will be the likeness depicted in the new TV show...

WW #608

Wow, this was really good. It's too bad Kramer can't put in a back to back issue, and the art here is terribly inconsistent. Other than that, the story is finally hitting it's stride with Diana serving penance from all she "did" to her rogues. Hester is doing one hell of a bang-up job trying to resurrect the mess JMS initiated; or maybe it was good all along and we were just impatient.

Great ending to boot!

3.5/5
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:44 am

LOOSECANNON wrote:that was a very good article, but I'm hoping it stays with the new Wonder Woman, as it appears this will be the likeness depicted in the new TV show...

WW #608

Wow, this was really good. It's too bad Kramer can't put in a back to back issue, and the art here is terribly inconsistent. Other than that, the story is finally hitting it's stride with Diana serving penance from all she "did" to her rogues. Hester is doing one hell of a bang-up job trying to resurrect the mess JMS initiated; or maybe it was good all along and we were just impatient.

Great ending to boot!

3.5/5

I feel the same about Kramer. And unfortunately when he's not doing the book the fill-in artists really aren't very good.

I don't agree at all about Hester and JMS. Not saying Hester's not doing a good job now (and I believe it's still based on JMS's overall storyline) because he is but I really don't think what JMS did was a "mess" (and to be honest I'm not totally taken with some of Hester's dialogue). Yep, JMS is certainly a slow storyteller but I was liking the slow reveals of things that were different and the world Diana is now in. I've got to think the things that are happening now were always intended so it's a bit harsh to say that it's all Hester's doing.

Anyway, just like you, I'm actually really enjoying this book. Don't totally get what's going on but I'm certainly liking the journey.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Is that a cover to a recent issue because....wow. That's pretty awesome.

So can someone clue me in as to how this story is going? I'm kind of curious.
jaydee74

">

Postby D-Rock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:57 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Image
Is that a cover to a recent issue because....wow. That's pretty awesome.

So can someone clue me in as to how this story is going? I'm kind of curious.

No, that particular issue hasn't come out yet.

As far as the story goes, it's not bad but there hasn't been alot of insight yet as to why things are the way they are. All we really know is that Themyscira has been destroyed, the remaining Amazons are hiding amongst the people, and witches want to kill Diana.
D-Rock

">

Postby jaydee74 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Ah. And it's 8 issues in already? Weird. Seems kind of slow going.
jaydee74

">

Postby D-Rock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

jaydee74 wrote:Ah. And it's 8 issues in already? Weird. Seems kind of slow going.

Aye. But doesn't that pretty much sum up JMS?
D-Rock

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:29 am

D-Rock wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Ah. And it's 8 issues in already? Weird. Seems kind of slow going.

Aye. But doesn't that pretty much sum up JMS?

Well the revelations have been slow coming but you couldn't say there hasn't been action every issue with Diana and the Amazons being hunted down. I'm not sure slow going is a fair assessment. To put it into perspective, Brightest Day has been going almost a year and there hasn't been a hell of a lot of information handed out in that either.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:56 am

D-Rock wrote:Aye. But doesn't that pretty much sum up JMS?

I suppose it does at that.
Aussiemandias wrote:Well the revelations have been slow coming but you couldn't say there hasn't been action every issue with Diana and the Amazons being hunted down. I'm not sure slow going is a fair assessment. To put it into perspective, Brightest Day has been going almost a year and there hasn't been a hell of a lot of information handed out in that either.

Well, that's an excellent point. Even though the reveals have been slow going, the action has been there and it's been pretty good.
jaydee74

">

Postby D-Rock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 am

Aussiemandias wrote:Well the revelations have been slow coming but you couldn't say there hasn't been action every issue with Diana and the Amazons being hunted down. I'm not sure slow going is a fair assessment. To put it into perspective, Brightest Day has been going almost a year and there hasn't been a hell of a lot of information handed out in that either.

I didn't say it was boring, just slow at the reveals. I mean, if someone asked "why does noone remember Diana?", I wouldn't know what to tell them. But if they asked "has anything exciting happened?", then I could say "well she beat the shit out of a minataur" :lol: ;)
D-Rock

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am

Here's where I think it's all a double edge sword. You like what you're reading but you kind of what to know where it's heading and what it's all about which you're not getting at the moment and 8 issues in, you kind of wish you had a little more answers revealed than you do right at the moment. It's kind of a tough thing. You like the story and yet you want the writer to throw you a bone every now and again and give some info as to what the hell is going on. Hopefully all of this will lead into something cool going into future story arcs.
jaydee74

">

Postby D-Rock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11 am

jaydee74 wrote:Here's where I think it's all a double edge sword. You like what you're reading but you kind of what to know where it's heading and what it's all about which you're not getting at the moment and 8 issues in, you kind of wish you had a little more answers revealed than you do right at the moment. It's kind of a tough thing. You like the story and yet you want the writer to throw you a bone every now and again and give some info as to what the hell is going on. Hopefully all of this will lead into something cool going into future story arcs.

Exactly. Same with Superman currently. We're how many issues into that arc and we still have nothing. I'm not saying JMS needs to reveal his whole hand, but give us something
D-Rock

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:30 am

I get it. I dropped Superman because I don't feel that I was getting anything in the way of "Why is he doing it?" Some of the issues were kind of interesting but not enough to keep up with it. At some point you need to tell me something about why this is happening and I don't mind a slow reveal but hint at something to maintain my interest or soon enough, I'm gonna stop caring.
jaydee74

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:23 pm

D-Rock wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Here's where I think it's all a double edge sword. You like what you're reading but you kind of what to know where it's heading and what it's all about which you're not getting at the moment and 8 issues in, you kind of wish you had a little more answers revealed than you do right at the moment. It's kind of a tough thing. You like the story and yet you want the writer to throw you a bone every now and again and give some info as to what the hell is going on. Hopefully all of this will lead into something cool going into future story arcs.

Exactly. Same with Superman currently. We're how many issues into that arc and we still have nothing. I'm not saying JMS needs to reveal his whole hand, but give us something

I guess my point is that JMS isn't the only writer doing this these days. I think it's pretty close to an epidemic with the likes of JMS, Johns, Bendis and others stringing readers along for a very long time before there are any reveals. And in comics where generally there are only 12 issues a year you run the risk of frustrating your readers but at the same time want to keep them hanging a little bit. I think some of these writers are keeping us hanging for way too long.

Part of the problem is that if you've got a year long storyline (or longer) I just don't think you can wait until the end of a year until you let the readers in on everything. I think you need to get the pacing right so there's big moments along the way. You're right, D-Rock, although there's plenty of action along the way in WW JMS has been short on delivering big revelatory moments during this time. I feel the same way with Brightest Day - we've been strong along for nearly a year now and it's frustrating.

Not sure exactly what I'm saying except that I think we're in agreement. :)
Aussiemandias

">

Postby D-Rock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:I guess my point is that JMS isn't the only writer doing this these days. I think it's pretty close to an epidemic with the likes of JMS, Johns, Bendis and others stringing readers along for a very long time before there are any reveals. And in comics where generally there are only 12 issues a year you run the risk of frustrating your readers but at the same time want to keep them hanging a little bit. I think some of these writers are keeping us hanging for way too long.

Part of the problem is that if you've got a year long storyline (or longer) I just don't think you can wait until the end of a year until you let the readers in on everything. I think you need to get the pacing right so there's big moments along the way. You're right, D-Rock, although there's plenty of action along the way in WW JMS has been short on delivering big revelatory moments along the way. I feel the same way with Brightest Day - we've been strong along for nearly a year now and it's frustrating.

You're right, JMS isn't the only person guilty of this, but I feel like even with those other writers I at least have some idea of what's happening. Even if I may be off-base, I could at least form a theory. With Superman & Wonder Woman, I don't feel like I can do that.

I agree that we're in agreement - while the "slow burn" may not be a bad thing, writers should be dropping more hints then they have been ;)
D-Rock

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

D-Rock wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:I guess my point is that JMS isn't the only writer doing this these days. I think it's pretty close to an epidemic with the likes of JMS, Johns, Bendis and others stringing readers along for a very long time before there are any reveals. And in comics where generally there are only 12 issues a year you run the risk of frustrating your readers but at the same time want to keep them hanging a little bit. I think some of these writers are keeping us hanging for way too long.

Part of the problem is that if you've got a year long storyline (or longer) I just don't think you can wait until the end of a year until you let the readers in on everything. I think you need to get the pacing right so there's big moments along the way. You're right, D-Rock, although there's plenty of action along the way in WW JMS has been short on delivering big revelatory moments along the way. I feel the same way with Brightest Day - we've been strong along for nearly a year now and it's frustrating.

You're right, JMS isn't the only person guilty of this, but I feel like even with those other writers I at least have some idea of what's happening. Even if I may be off-base, I could at least form a theory. With Superman & Wonder Woman, I don't feel like I can do that.

I agree that we're in agreement - while the "slow burn" may not be a bad thing, writers should be dropping more hints then they have been ;)

JMS is a serial offender. I felt he did this on Thor too however with Thor there probably wasn't a big mystery it was more just slow going with moving things along. Coipel's art more than made up for that though!
Aussiemandias

">

Postby D-Rock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 pm

I thought the latest issue was probably the best so far from this run. We didn't get all the answers yet, but I feel like we aleast got something. I liked the interaction between Diana and Dr. Psycho, and the nods to various Elseworlds versions of Wonder Woman. Even though they're enemies, his reasoning for helping her seemed to work. Though the last panel had me scratching my head.

*SPOILER*

Awaking from her dream-state encounter with Dr. Psycho, Wonder Woman finds herself in a hospital bed with a nurse named D. Prince attending to her.
D-Rock

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:23 am

Really excellent writing here, things are starting to clear up (well, you know)...too bad Kramer's art looks different on every page. He either hits or misses. Regardless, the WW book is back and in good hands! 3.5/5
LOOSECANNON

">

Postby jaydee74 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:17 am

I read this issue and really liked the story. The art however was all over the place and almost took me out of the story. The ending was really interesting.
jaydee74

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 am

LOOSECANNON wrote:Really excellent writing here, things are starting to clear up (well, you know)...too bad Kramer's art looks different on every page. He either hits or misses. Regardless, the WW book is back and in good hands! 3.5/5

I think it's partly the damn inking. I really disagree with the editorial staff when they say to the letter writer in the back that the art on the book has been brilliant. No, it has not. The only time it's been good has been when Kramer's doing it and then when he's giving 100%. Other than that it's been pretty ordinary.

This latest was definitely a good issue and really did start to give some glimpses as to what's going on. And WW looks very cranky in that last panel. I think things are about to get nasty.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Tue May 03, 2011 11:39 pm

WW #610

Not a bad issue but I'm starting to find the mythology in this whole storyline really mixed up. Anyway, more confirmation that reality is messed up and seemingly a little closer to resolution although it appears there's another 4 issues to go until we get there. The art is still mediocre at best.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby D-Rock » Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:WW #610

Not a bad issue but I'm starting to find the mythology in this whole storyline really mixed up. Anyway, more confirmation that reality is messed up and seemingly a little closer to resolution although it appears there's another 4 issues to go until we get there.

Yeah, overall I think the book is starting to hit a stride. What I've gotten out of the last two issues is that there is this "spirit of Justice" that transcends time and realities finding various hosts along the way, and that Diana was the latest representation. Maybe? :?

Heh, I guess we'll see in the next 4 issues
D-Rock

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:21 pm

WW #611

Well, I have to say this issue was great. An excellent all action issue that also moved the story along. Really enjoyed it and may have been the best issue of this Odyssey storyline. The art was also improved.

Have to admit I'm becoming extremely curious to see who the big bad is. Who could have been capable of doing what they've done here?
Aussiemandias

">

Postby LOOSECANNON » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:48 am

I agree! It was awesome. In fact, the last few issues were pretty good. Too bad I didn't get this vibe from the get-go. Did Hester save JMS' ass, or did JMS have a brilliant plan all along?

Hopefully, it just ends with a bang.
LOOSECANNON

Next

Return to DC