General DC New 52 Thread

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:The thing is, his gripes about heavy-handed DC editorial seem legit considering quite a few writers have complained about this lately. Especially when it comes to the mess that is New 52 Superman. But him acting like a total ass makes him lose credibility on the subject.

I certainly don't know the whole story but isn't part of his beef with DC about taking a stand regarding how George Perez has been treated? I only got told this second hand at my comic shop yesterday but it seemed like the stance he was taking was pretty genuine and showed some integrity. Sounds like he's undoing that now.


Yeah and that's the problem. Seems like he has somewhat of a legitimate case if you read what he's said here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/22/ ... ro-issues/ even though that is just his side of the story. Although others at DC have complained about this too since New 52. If he just approached the situation with a shred of tact he would probably have some people on his side. His random attacks against fellow creators are uncalled for.

I almost feel bad for the guy. From what I hear he takes a lot crap online and at conventions. Still no excuse for this behavior though.
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:40 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:The thing is, his gripes about heavy-handed DC editorial seem legit considering quite a few writers have complained about this lately. Especially when it comes to the mess that is New 52 Superman. But him acting like a total ass makes him lose credibility on the subject.

I certainly don't know the whole story but isn't part of his beef with DC about taking a stand regarding how George Perez has been treated? I only got told this second hand at my comic shop yesterday but it seemed like the stance he was taking was pretty genuine and showed some integrity. Sounds like he's undoing that now.


Yeah and that's the problem. Seems like he has somewhat of a legitimate case if you read what he's said here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/22/ ... ro-issues/ even though that is just his side of the story. Although others at DC have complained about this too since New 52. If he just approached the situation with a shred of tact he would probably have some people on his side. His random attacks against fellow creators are uncalled for.

I almost feel bad for the guy. From what I hear he takes a lot crap online and at conventions. Still no excuse for this behavior though.



The sad part is that even if he did, I'm fairly certain people would not side with him. Because of Liefield's reputation as an artist, people immediately go against him, regardless of the issue. I can understand, to a degree, why he may be so bitter: He's spent a lot of time in the industry, made characters that have actually endured, one of the few people who have made millions off his work, at one point fought for comic creators to have more control over their own characters, is an overall nice guy and enthusiastic towards fans at cons despite people being rude and silly towards him (like the person who shot water at him while sticking a "How to Draw Marvel Characters" book in his face), goes out of his way to help new people breaking into the biz (as mentioned by even Snyder, one person caught int he crossfire (and on a personal note Liefield has a point, the Batman titles are selling as they are because it is Batman - were it Vibe, it would not sell as well - sorry Snyder, I love you hugs and kisses), is lambasted time and time again for an art style that while bad, is generally made for a specific age group (lo and behold, the intended demographic for whom the comics are drawn), and overall being treated as shit by fans despite having put in his years in the business. Personally it amazes me that he is merely ranting on twitter and not showing up to the houses of all the people who have said bad things about him and punching them in the face (Jay and Silent Bob would be proud). When you consider the shit some of these guys get unfairly (look at the level of hate Scott Lobdell gets vs. your average comic writer - it's petty undeserved and disproportionate hate), this is not surprising in the least.

The whole thing is sad and he truly is going about this all wrong, but I'm not entirely surprised. This day was coming and was created, yet again, by us fans, aficionados, and comic "journalists". All we can do at this point is to let it run it's course. He may have enough money that he doesn't need to work again, who knows. I'd do the same thing if that were the case...
Image
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
User avatar
Dr. Wade McNasty
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Engulfed in the hipster nihilism of our times.

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Word on the street is Scott Snyder and Jim Lee on a new Man of Steel comic. Possibly to coincide with Zack Snyder's Man of Steel film next year. Could there finally be a great Superman comic on the stands?? :o
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Bigtymin504 wrote:Word on the street is Scott Snyder and Jim Lee on a new Man of Steel comic. Possibly to coincide with Zack Snyder's Man of Steel film next year. Could there finally be a great Superman comic on the stands?? :o


That would be interesting. Superman seems like a hard character to write, though he shouldn't be.
Image
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
User avatar
Dr. Wade McNasty
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Engulfed in the hipster nihilism of our times.

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:26 am

New Snyder and Lee Superman book confirmed for 2013

Image

Not being called "Man of Steel" yet.
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby shining knight » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm

So yeah...

down to justice league, aquaman and demonknights now...
Image
Image
User avatar
shining knight
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 am
Location: magnificent bastard

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Rath99 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 pm

shining knight wrote:So yeah...

down to justice league, aquaman and demonknights now...


Missing out on the awesomeness that is Batman
User avatar
Rath99
 
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Brooklyn!

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Aussiemandias » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:46 am

Vibe and Katana are 2 of the new books? Seriously?

JLA is going to sell but it seems to me these other books are going to fail even before they've begun.
User avatar
Aussiemandias
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Spider_Fan14 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Did NBC take over DC Comics?
Image
Spider_Fan14
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby azrael » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:10 pm

azrael wrote:Am i the only one enjoying the New 52? Ive seen some people badmouthing it and such, and that's cool, everybody's entitled to thier own opinion. Im actually picking up more titles more regularly than I ever used to, because of the relaunch. Im picking up the Batman titles (and annuals), Batgirl (working on getting caught up on it.), The Flash, Justice League, Wonder Woman and Dial H. It's all because of the relaunch. Pre-new 52 I liked Flash and I liked Wonder Woman to an extent, but because I wasn't as enriched in their back mythology, it kept me from getting too into the characters outside of the occasional good Justice League or Crisis crossover style event (like 52, Countdown, Blackest Night). Im enjoying it far more than Marvel's stuff. I haven't read Marvel since Civil War, because of how much that event pissed me off. I picked up the two first issues of Uncanny Avengers, because I thought Marvel maybe deserved a second chance. Not a bad book. Still ticked that the book has been delayed. Im willing to give it the whole first arc, if I like it after that, I'll keep reading. If not, then it'll be awhile before I pick any Marvel up again. But yeah. Back to my initial point...Am i the only one enjoying the New 52?

tits. I posted this as a new thread because i didnt realize there was a general discussion...

anyways. Initial point, im enjoying the New 52 and seeing some people hates on it(which is cool, see above) am I the only one enjoying it?
User avatar
azrael
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 pm

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Arsenal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm

azrael wrote:
azrael wrote:Am i the only one enjoying the New 52? Ive seen some people badmouthing it and such, and that's cool, everybody's entitled to thier own opinion. Im actually picking up more titles more regularly than I ever used to, because of the relaunch. Im picking up the Batman titles (and annuals), Batgirl (working on getting caught up on it.), The Flash, Justice League, Wonder Woman and Dial H. It's all because of the relaunch. Pre-new 52 I liked Flash and I liked Wonder Woman to an extent, but because I wasn't as enriched in their back mythology, it kept me from getting too into the characters outside of the occasional good Justice League or Crisis crossover style event (like 52, Countdown, Blackest Night). Im enjoying it far more than Marvel's stuff. I haven't read Marvel since Civil War, because of how much that event pissed me off. I picked up the two first issues of Uncanny Avengers, because I thought Marvel maybe deserved a second chance. Not a bad book. Still ticked that the book has been delayed. Im willing to give it the whole first arc, if I like it after that, I'll keep reading. If not, then it'll be awhile before I pick any Marvel up again. But yeah. Back to my initial point...Am i the only one enjoying the New 52?

tits. I posted this as a new thread because i didnt realize there was a general discussion...

anyways. Initial point, im enjoying the New 52 and seeing some people hates on it(which is cool, see above) am I the only one enjoying it?


There are things I like and things I do not like. I dislike that there is a static timeline going on, I hate timelines in comics, Batman should not have only been active for 6 years while the JLA was 5 years, that just clogs up what could have happened in that time frame, if they took away the time frame I would have less issues with the new 52. I also do not like the changes they made with the Teen Titan group, there was no need to mess with Superboy or Kid Flash or any of them, add the new characters, change up costumes whatever but what they did with that group just is terrible.

Batman is more or less OK unless they talk about the time lines.
Flash is great in my opinion
Aquaman is great
Animal Man is good but I am losing intrest
Green Lantern is fine because they are acting like nothing happened.
JLA is not because they do not have a good stride on the team, it seems disjointed
Teen Titans and Superboy are terrible because the core 4 there (Robin Superboy, Kid Flash and Wonder Girl) Are not themselves that bothers me.

Biggest issue other then the timeline are the missing characters, where is Ted Kord? Wally West?
Image
User avatar
Arsenal
 
Posts: 2202
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am
Location: Bloomington IL

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby azrael » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

The timeline stuff hasn't been an issue for me at all and ive been reading the Batman titles from the beginning, and just now got caught up on Justice League. Hasn't phazed me at all.
User avatar
azrael
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 pm

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 am

I find that I am not caring too much about the new 52 when you consider all I read are books from the Batman and Green Lantern franchises and those haven't changed all that much.
Image
User avatar
jaydee74
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 am
Location: New Jersey

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Arsenal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am

It is really just the Young heroes that are suffering from it, so if you don't read Teen Titans, Red Hood and the Outlaws. Superboy or Supergirl the changes don't matter, and honestly I don't even think about it any more, with the Batman timeline I just added a 1 so that he started 16 years ago, that is plenty of time to father a child, and train 3 Robins.


Also Tim Drake was Robin, they just called him Red Robin because he wore a all red outfit not a green/red one.
Image
User avatar
Arsenal
 
Posts: 2202
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am
Location: Bloomington IL

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Batman25JM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm

I absolutely can't stand the New 52. I think everything feels hollow. The universe is now all flash and no substance. They took away the legacy aspect of the universe which is one of the things I loved.

The destroyed Tim Drake and all the Teen Titans.

The only books I'm enjoying are Aquaman, Justice League (and that's really only within the last two issues), and Green Lantern. My interest in GL has dipped a bit lately. I was also enjoying Green Lantern Corps, but I'm enjoying it less now.

I miss the old universe. I've dropped the majority of the DC titles that I was reading, and I'm very close to dropping even more.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Batman25JM
 
Posts: 4246
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Yeah. I just don't care about the overall change. I do like what I'm reading but that's because those haven't really changed.
Image
User avatar
jaydee74
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 am
Location: New Jersey

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 am

Batman25JM wrote:I absolutely can't stand the New 52. I think everything feels hollow. The universe is now all flash and no substance. They took away the legacy aspect of the universe which is one of the things I loved.


You nailed it with this. It just doesn't feel like the DCU that I was invested in anymore. Nothing feels connected in a meaningful way. Much of the changes have proven to be unnecessary. There are only a couple of books left that I really care about.
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 am

Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Aussiemandias » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 am

The only book that I truly love of the new 52 and I'm glad of the changes that the new 52 brought to the character and book is Wonder Woman. Anything else that I like could have been the same in the old DC Universe.
User avatar
Aussiemandias
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Denim » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Death in the Family (Batman books)
The Third Army (Green Lantern books)
The Black Diamond (All Star Western, Team 7, Catwoman, possibly 2 more titles)
H'el on Earth (Superman books)
Throne of Atlantis (Justice League, Aquaman)
Rotworld (Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstien)

Anyone else see a problem with this many mini events going on all at the same time?
User avatar
Denim
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 am
Location: Chicago Burbs

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby azrael » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am

i get what you're saying Denim. I think what they're trying to do, though is capitolize on the idea of The Court of Owls arc, by creating dynamic mini-events, IMO. I think the idea, is to create these mini-events within these titles and stretch them out for a few issues (anywhere, between like 5-7 issues more or less) and have them bleed into one or two other titles. Because there are more Bat-titles than say, Aquaman titles, an Aquaman mini-event, especially one dealing with a conflict over the throne of Atlantis, is going to likely bleed into a Justice League title. Maybe not like crazy where like the next four issues of Justice League all deal with it, but maybe an issue or two does, and then some general stuff in the background relating to it happens as well.

From DC's standpoint, I can sort of see the logic behind it. It really wouldn't get muddy or bog anyone down unless they're reading all of those titles. If you're reading one or two of them, you should be fine. The big thing with the mini-events, is they're really only going to have any lasting consequences in the main titles of the mini-event. So say, for example, The Throne of Atlantis mini, (keeping in mind, I know nothing about it, this is just a little game of Devil's Advocate) but say in that particular mini, Aquaman loses control of the throne to Black Manta. The real repercussions are going to be felt in Aquaman. Not so much in Justice League. Maybe they'll be some 'big' repercussions, like they mention it a couple times or Aquaman disappears from the Justice League for awhile, but that's probably about it,as far as the waves(pun somewhat intended) of this mini are to be felt in the other titles it's crossing over into.
User avatar
azrael
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 pm

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby shark6495 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 am

mini events on similar books I am okay with. It makes sense, to me, that a group of people working together may have to deal with similar situations. mega company wife events get boring, but the mini events make sense, at least to me. An event that requires bats and the bat family would make sense. Plus if you are reading detective you are probably read the main bats book and another already...
User avatar
shark6495
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:49 am

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:16 pm

shark6495 wrote:mini events on similar books I am okay with. It makes sense, to me, that a group of people working together may have to deal with similar situations. mega company wife events get boring, but the mini events make sense, at least to me. An event that requires bats and the bat family would make sense. Plus if you are reading detective you are probably read the main bats book and another already...

Yeah, I prefer the mini crossovers to the major ones. In a lot of cases the mini crossovers tend to make more sense and are more story oriented whereas the major ones tend to shoehorn characters in for no reason other than a marketing gimmick.
User avatar
Aussiemandias
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Denim wrote:Death in the Family (Batman books)
The Third Army (Green Lantern books)
The Black Diamond (All Star Western, Team 7, Catwoman, possibly 2 more titles)
H'el on Earth (Superman books)
Throne of Atlantis (Justice League, Aquaman)
Rotworld (Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstien)

Anyone else see a problem with this many mini events going on all at the same time?


This is basically DC's sales strategy at the moment. I guess until "Trinity War" kicks off.
Image
User avatar
Bigtymin504
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Orleans

">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Batman25JM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

I hate all the mini events. I think they are hindering books. So many books aren't able to tell their own stories. And it's forcing you to buy more books if you want the full story. Ugh!
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Batman25JM
 
Posts: 4246
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

PreviousNext

Return to DC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron