General DC New 52 Thread

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

Re: General DC New 52 Thread

Postby aleams » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 pm

I agree that I'm annoyed with all the events. I refused to buy the Superboy and Supergirl issues in order to follow the H'el on Earth story. I love Rocafort's art, but this story isn't enough to make me want to read books I dropped from my pull.

The thing that angers me more is that it's the events that have been leading the creative teams to quit. The events are always changing variables. I know most people don't like Rob Liefeld, but he once talked about how Grifter was supposed to be in H'el on Earth, but then after his tie-in issue was already begun to be drawn, editorial changed their mind. A couple of times on that. Granted, that's not a heartbreaking example, but it goes to prove that our annoyances are even more evident within the cracks of the shell that is DC.

This is said with a bittersweet love. I don't understand how much, if even, Didio or Lee are affecting these huge changes. All I know is that DC needs to get their shit together if they ever want great creators to work for them. I know I want to work in the industry one day soon and at this point I certainly don't want to deal with the crap these DC comic creators are.

Anyway, anyone else want to rant with me about how annoying the cover taglines are? Combined with the "The New 52" tag on every issue, and the marketing banner on almost every issue, it's flooding the cover and I think it takes away SO MUCH from the gorgeous art that took a lot of time to make and prepare. I don't think the story tag even makes any sense, why not just title it after the issue title?
- Andrew L.

NEVER FORGET
aleams

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

aleams wrote:Anyway, anyone else want to rant with me about how annoying the cover taglines are? Combined with the "The New 52" tag on every issue, and the marketing banner on almost every issue, it's flooding the cover and I think it takes away SO MUCH from the gorgeous art that took a lot of time to make and prepare. I don't think the story tag even makes any sense, why not just title it after the issue title?

Those banner ads on the tops of the books are a real eye sore. Thankfully it's only once in awhile.

Also think it's time to retire the "New 52" tag by every title.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/dc-cancels-firestorm-ravagers-hawkman-deathstroke-sword-of-sorcery-and-team-7/

Some of those are just a few months old for pete's sake. DC needs to stop this obsession with having 52 monthly titles. They clearly can't support that many. The top 1/3rd of the line is selling either great or solid. But the bottom half has been mostly abysmal sales-wise, which sucks to see. I can't imagine they're making money off some of those really low sellers...it's probably time to drop the 52 schtick.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Arsenal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm

The 52 titles isn't needed.

Not every character can hold their own title, I mean Vibe and Katana ? I don't have high hopes on sales there. Geoff leaving Aquaman worries me.
Arsenal

">

Postby Denim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Out of all the new cancellations announced, Sword of Scorcery annoys me the most. As much as I bitch about the new 52, I kind of liked the new Amethyst. I feel that the book would of done better if they had not done the secondary stories in them. It was to different from the the Amethyst story. It clashed instead of meshed. They had a perfect opportunity to reach a new audiance with the title and failed it by forcing them to get a story that they would not be interested in.

So dissapointed that this book is being cancelled.
Denim

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 am

Still, I predicted Sword of Sorcery would fail just like Katana and Vibe will fail. It doesn't take a genius to pick it - the characters and the creative teams don't give you any confidence the comics will be around in 2 years time. It just looks to me that DC are throwing crap at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. So far not a lot has.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby jaydee74 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

I'll have to disagree about the comment about DC throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. I really think they are making a very good effort to diversify the DC New 52. I think some of the titles that got cancelled wasn't so much as that they were bad but just didn't get the publicity and the opportunity to shine like some other books.
jaydee74

">

Postby Spider_Fan14 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Does anyone else notice that all of the main books are rated teens or older? The only ones for younger kids are all Jonny DC books, what's up with that? Marvel has its main books at different ages but DC pretty much has all the same age rating.
Spider_Fan14

">

Postby Aussiemandias » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm

jaydee74 wrote:I'll have to disagree about the comment about DC throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. I really think they are making a very good effort to diversify the DC New 52. I think some of the titles that got cancelled wasn't so much as that they were bad but just didn't get the publicity and the opportunity to shine like some other books.

I think there were plenty of them that were second rate. At least that's why I dropped them. I have given a good try to a lot of books and I dropped them because the writing just wasn't very good. Most of those have ended up getting cancelled. A lot of the cancelled books have either been ill conceived in the first place or not well written. That being said, I can only speak for the books I was getting and dropped that were subsequently cancelled. And I still think you can spot the ones that are going to get cancelled a mile off.

There's probably been a few that were gems but unfortunately I missed those.
Aussiemandias

">

Postby azrael » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 pm

I will say also, though with some of the mini events...it does make sense that they would cross over a little bit. Something like Night of the Owls could've worked without crossing over into the other Batman and Bat-family titles but then that would somewhat disrupt the continuity of things. Let's say that's the case, that there's minimal communication between the creative teams of those titles. No crossover mini-crisis. So Night of the Owls takes place in just the main Batman title. I'm reading all the other Batman titles and Bat-family titles in this example. So Night of the Owls happens. This whole huge allout war assault on Gotham by secret-society-part-bird-mutant-assasin-Azrael-knock-off-ninjas (and yeah, as someone who read the Azrael series(s), I know. The Talons are a poor man's Azrael(not necessarily the character, but the actual principle idea of a trained assasin{<which seriously, at this point, probably shouldn't be pointing this out, but am i spelling that right?}, though kudos to the Court of Owls for keeping thier's around and on-ice for assaults like this), but this huge tactical assault on Gotham and the Bat-family happens. Bruce and Alfred make a big deal in the issue of contacting every Bat-family member and putting them on notice that shit is going DOWN and they need help and they're going to have these secret-society-part-bird-mutant-assasin-Azrael-knock-off-ninjas coming directly after them. I pick up the newest issue of any other Bat-family title and maybe the whole thing is only casually mentioned. No cool fights between like Nightwing and a Talon or anything like that. (i honestly don't know the extent of Nightwing's involvement in Night of Owls, this is just for the sake of the argument) but as a reader, I feel a little cheated. I feel a lack of continuity even if they just mention it, not to mention I feel cheated out of a cool fight.

Not to mention, DC's doing it to generate some interest and incentive to check out these other titles. Now I've just started getting into the current Batgirl series, not because of Night of Owls, or Death of the Family, but because I bought the first issue when the title came out as a part of the new 52, and i wasn't sure if i'd like it...after hearing the buzz and seeing how passionate people were about keeping Gail Simone on the book, I wanted to really check it out. I'm loving it. Gail Simone is pretty fudging awesome. Batgirl couldn't be better written IMO. That said, I get DC is doing it, as stated previously to generate some buzz in these other titles, but it'd be nice if they didn't have to resort to just that tactic to get people interested in those titles. That said, Night of Owls did set a trend with that though, which is that that tactic can work. The sales spoke for themselves.
azrael

">

Postby Batman25JM » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 pm

I feel that the New 52 is a total mess when it is looked at as a whole. For all the mini crossovers that are happening, I still feel no connection between the books. There is no real richness. Everything feels hollow.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Batman25JM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 pm

I'm pretty close to dropping all of the Batman books. And now with everyone leaving all the GL books, I may be dropping them too.

DC books I'm currently getting:

Batman
Batman & Robin
Nightwing
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Green Arrow
Justice League
Justice League of America
Aquaman
Smallville Season 11

So, I'm currently getting 11 DC books, 10 of which are New 52 books. Soon I may be down to just 5 DC books, 4 of which would be New 52 books.
Batman25JM

">

Postby Arsenal » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 am

I am on the same page as JM with out Johns on GL I might drop it depending on how it reads.

Currently I get

Aquaman
Animal Man
Batman
Green Lantern
Green Lantern New Guardians
Green Arrow
Flash
Nightwing
Red Hood
JLA
Justice League
Superboy

I might be dropping Animal Man because the Rot story was good but just drug on too long and I lost interest. New Guardians I know I am done with and Gl with out Johns I am not super excited about.
Arsenal

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 am

Bigtymin504 wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/dc-cancels-firestorm-ravagers-hawkman-deathstroke-sword-of-sorcery-and-team-7/

Some of those are just a few months old for pete's sake. DC needs to stop this obsession with having 52 monthly titles. They clearly can't support that many. The top 1/3rd of the line is selling either great or solid. But the bottom half has been mostly abysmal sales-wise, which sucks to see. I can't imagine they're making money off some of those really low sellers...it's probably time to drop the 52 schtick.

It's unfortunate but I don't fault them for trying. Giving the spotlight to different characters and seeing which one takes off. It's a good idea that I hope they continue. I wish Marvel would do that instead of various writers shoving their waifus and husbandos that no one gives a flying fuck about down our throats. My only issue is with DC's approach is when they half-ass it when it comes to art or writing (Blackhawks, Firestorm, and Static come to mind). That said, I think some of the titles are decent but are never given a chance for whatever reason.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Arsenal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/dc-cancels-firestorm-ravagers-hawkman-deathstroke-sword-of-sorcery-and-team-7/

It's unfortunate but I don't fault them for trying. Giving the spotlight to different characters and seeing which one takes off. It's a good idea that I hope they continue. I wish Marvel would do that instead of various writers shoving their waifus and husbandos that no one gives a flying fuck about down our throats. My only issue is with DC's approach is when they half-ass it when it comes to art or writing (Blackhawks, Firestorm, and Static come to mind). That said, I think some of the titles are decent but are never given a chance for whatever reason.

What I think would work better for them if they want the 52 titles idea, take some of the smaller names and just make mini or maxi series out them, Bendis's Moon night was great for a 12 issue story for a non A- lister. It was done well, was self contained and didn't have the chance to go stale. The same with the recent Defenders book. That would be a better plan then putting a regular Vibe book out, give him a 6 issue story.
Arsenal

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:

What I think would work better for them if they want the 52 titles idea, take some of the smaller names and just make mini or maxi series out them, Bendis's Moon night was great for a 12 issue story for a non A- lister. It was done well, was self contained and didn't have the chance to go stale. The same with the recent Defenders book. That would be a better plan then putting a regular Vibe book out, give him a 6 issue story.

Those would probably be better. I guess there are a lot of ways to do this. Is Johns on the Vibe series though? If so I can see why they are going this route. Johns is pretty much a certified star-maker at this point. If he's writing a book, they might as well make it a regular series.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby aleams » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 am

Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:
Those would probably be better. I guess there are a lot of ways to do this. Is Johns on the Vibe series though? If so I can see why they are going this route. Johns is pretty much a certified star-maker at this point. If he's writing a book, they might as well make it a regular series.

My understanding (based on the solicit info from what I remember) is that it's only Geoff for the first issue, but every issue after that is written by Andrew.
- Andrew L.

NEVER FORGET
aleams

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 am

aleams wrote:
Dr. Wade McNasty wrote:

My understanding (based on the solicit info from what I remember) is that it's only Geoff for the first issue, but every issue after that is written by Andrew.

Oh dear. Then I can't say much for this series. I can't speak much about Andrew. I guess it's understandable. He does seem to be stretching himself thin, but man, he's living the fanboy dream. :lol:
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I am just now catching up with the new 52 by the way of the TPB from the library. The court of Owls mini was solid/great/superb! But the rest were decent, but not great. It started off very well, but Im not sure what exactly the new 52 did. Having read the TPB but not knowing much about the previous versions of the crew (except for GL, Supes, Bats, and WW), not sure where the reboot was needed. I understand where the issue is for the compressed timelines though. From the beginning of the JL TPB versus the start of the court of owls and detective with Joker, Batman created a huge cast of side characters.

I feel the new 52 shot themselves in the foot by putting a timeline on things, or at least such a short time line on things. I will only use the Batman example as this seems to be where issues happen. In 5 years, Bruce was able to be in a location to help start the JL, train 3/4 Robins, inspire/fund international Batmen (Batwing), inspire both Batgirl and Batwoman, and encounter everyone he ever did?

Also not a big fan of ma/pa kent being dead. Also, I thought the Death of Superman was such a great story, and now its not even part of this character's history. So this Superman has not faced a villain he cant just outmuscle?
shark6495

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

shark6495 wrote:I am just now catching up with the new 52 by the way of the TPB from the library. The court of Owls mini was solid/great/superb! But the rest were decent, but not great. It started off very well, but Im not sure what exactly the new 52 did. Having read the TPB but not knowing much about the previous versions of the crew (except for GL, Supes, Bats, and WW), not sure where the reboot was needed. I understand where the issue is for the compressed timelines though. From the beginning of the JL TPB versus the start of the court of owls and detective with Joker, Batman created a huge cast of side characters.

I feel the new 52 shot themselves in the foot by putting a timeline on things, or at least such a short time line on things. I will only use the Batman example as this seems to be where issues happen. In 5 years, Bruce was able to be in a location to help start the JL, train 3/4 Robins, inspire/fund international Batmen (Batwing), inspire both Batgirl and Batwoman, and encounter everyone he ever did?

Also not a big fan of ma/pa kent being dead. Also, I thought the Death of Superman was such a great story, and now its not even part of this character's history. So this Superman has not faced a villain he cant just outmuscle?

Agreed. It's becoming more and more apparent they would have been better simply taking the Marvel route and just relaunching titles. It would still irk some people but would not create such long-lasting problems to the general continuity. I still think they should activate the little back door they created for themselves and set some things back or create a universe that is a mix of the previous one and this one (or just make an Ultimate DC universe already). Then again, we'll see what happens. I think Trinity War will be the make it or break it event for them (unless they already had the thing and I missed it).
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Ok now I am just confused. So Damien served as a Robin to Dick? When the hell did that happen? Also, in Justice League (which happened 5 years ago) Supes has his costume, but in the Superman TPB, he didnt have the costume to start with.....

WTF is going on.
shark6495

">

Postby aleams » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 am

I know you guys are REALLY disappointed, but I have every reason to believe that come May we will all be (mostly) on the DC bandwagon. That's not to say that we are going to love everything that comes out or all fanboy out for most of it. I just know that most of May is setting up for the Trinity War and that promises to at least be an entertaining read. (And WAYYYY better than Flashpoint)

At this point, I think they need to just start treating continuity like post-Brand New Day in the Spidey verse. Just tell us what we need to know and move on. Sure, we are all still upset and angry especially in the Batman universe just because it's impossible to cram decades worth of stories into five years. At this point, we just have to hope that DC will just admit that the timeline is messed up and use Trinity War to "fix" it. But seriously though... Trinity War (which is "apparently" the whole reason they brought all the timelines together... Well, I think it's the prelude to what brought them all together knowing how Johns structures events.) can be used as a way to fix the timelines and all the inconsistencies to at least mildly please us fanboys. With Multiversity coming out at the end of this year, it would be a good time to use this to fix the shit with the editors (hopefully the creative summit helped) and erase the whole idea of New 52 continuity.

Although the way the May solicits have me thinking, they might just soon pretend there were never any inconsistencies or merged timelines and just go back to old continuity. I mean, after all, they did all of this just to get rid of Power Girl's boob window and now they are bringing her old costume back...... I think something is afoot over at the DC offices.
- Andrew L.

NEVER FORGET
aleams

">

Postby Denim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:05 pm

I want the old continuity back, that's not to say that things from new 52 can carry over though. There are some things I like about the new 52 (Frankenstien, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Starling) but I hate the Superman cast of books, Teen Titans, Batman timeline, Flash, the entire Justice League.

It's all in Flaashback #5. Bring the threat Pandora talked about, create the "crisis", put it all in one massive 12 issue mini series, bring back old continuity, but carry over some of the good, like Starling. She is awesome.

In some strange fantasy world that I am living in, Vibe is the key to make this happen. They are saying he is going to be like some multiverse cop, how awesome would it be that out of all the characters out there, Vibe is the one that brings it all together.
Denim

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Denim wrote:I want the old continuity back, that's not to say that things from new 52 can carry over though. There are some things I like about the new 52 (Frankenstien, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Starling) but I hate the Superman cast of books, Teen Titans, Batman timeline, Flash, the entire Justice League.

It's all in Flaashback #5. Bring the threat Pandora talked about, create the "crisis", put it all in one massive 12 issue mini series, bring back old continuity, but carry over some of the good, like Starling. She is awesome.

In some strange fantasy world that I am living in, Vibe is the key to make this happen. They are saying he is going to be like some multiverse cop, how awesome would it be that out of all the characters out there, Vibe is the one that brings it all together.

That would be pretty damn awesome if they do that. But yeah, the old continuity with some of the new stuff tossed in would be pretty cool. That said, they could use this as an opportunity to push some method to put out much older comics. I still think they should offer really old comics to be read for free on their website or better yet, a code that allows for some sort of online service that comes with purchase of a comic (subscribers getting full access). Purchasing a Justice League comic unlocks a set of old justice league comics so they can be read for free online. Or purchasing a comic unlocks the set or storyline pertinent to that story online (this would apply to stories older than 5 or 10 years or so as opposed to recent releases or truly notable runs, naturally), especially since a lot of these stories are not offered as widely as they could.
Dr. Wade McNasty

Previous

Return to DC