General DC New 52 Thread

Eternal Crisis of the Pantsless Superheroes. Like them or hate, crises are a big part of the DCU. You can discuss them alongside books like Secret Six and other events like Green Lantern: Blackest Night.
">

General DC New 52 Thread

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/17/dc-looking-to-relaunch-everything-in-september/

http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1168862p1.html

DC recently stated that Flashpoint #5 would be the only comic they would be shipping on August 31st from the entire company. So what’s to follow it on September the 6th?

Ten years after the world changed, looks like the DC world will be changing too. Bleeding Cool has already talked about a major renumbering of DC’s books post-Flashpoint. And it looks like that will occur the first week of September, across the DCU board, with everything going back to #1.

:shock:
Last edited by Bigtymin504 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigtymin504

">

Re: DCU Reboot?!

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Noticed this:

Brightest Day Aftermath: The Search For Swamp Thing (3 of 3)

The search ends here as John Constantine finally finds out Swamp Thing’s dark motives

And I'm not surprised. I always thought that white light entity was a villain and the only reason why people think it was a good guy was because he opposed Nekron. That said, a reboot is possible only in that they are probably trying to make it easier to let people jump onto titles. Marvel does it so I assumed DC said, why not? I wonder if Wonder Woman will keep her outfit or they use this as a means to restore the Amazons to glory. Even more so, they may use this as a means to promote Cyborg even more, after all, he's essentially Mega Man crossed with a big black guy. How can anybody not like him? :lol:
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby D-Rock » Tue May 17, 2011 9:57 pm

This could just be something similar to AoA where the books all go back to #1 and base one or two arcs on whatever the fallout of Flashpoint is.
D-Rock

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 pm

D-Rock wrote:This could just be something similar to AoA where the books all go back to #1 and base one or two arcs on whatever the fallout of Flashpoint is.

While it still seems like too radical a move for the entire line, I could go for that.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Batman25JM » Tue May 17, 2011 10:45 pm

I just can't see them renumbering books like Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, and Action Comics. I hope to god they don't. I get pissed when Marvel does this renumbering shit, and I don't want DC to do it.
Batman25JM

">

Postby elijahdprophet » Wed May 18, 2011 8:45 am

I am really curious to see if the "entire line" really means that. Will Batman Incorporated reboot, after what will be like 10 issues by then? Seems unlikely.
elijahdprophet

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am

I agree with Batman25JM. I hope they don't renumber books like Batman, Superman, Detective or Action. There is such a history with those books that renumbering them would be such a shame. I don't care about reboots but renumbering books always annoy me to a certain degree.
jaydee74

">

Postby matt » Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I Hate renumbering. It's on of the things that really turns me off about Marvel. I hope it's just like an Age of Apocalypse thing and everything goes back to normal after a few months.
matt

">

Postby shark6495 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I would like this and hate it at the same time. But for a major renumbering following flashpoint are we looking at another crisis?
shark6495

">

Postby jaydee74 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't think I would mind it as a short-lived gimmick.
jaydee74

">

Postby prescribeddrone » Wed May 18, 2011 5:05 pm

As long as it doesn't prevent Grant Morrison from doing EVERYTHING he had planned for Batman, I don't care really/don't mind.... it'll be even easier to stop caring and drop books.
prescribeddrone

">

Postby off_white_lantern » Sun May 22, 2011 1:09 pm

matt wrote:I Hate renumbering. It's on of the things that really turns me off about Marvel. I hope it's just like an Age of Apocalypse thing and everything goes back to normal after a few months.

Remember when a bunch of Marvels turned 500 at the same time :roll: Freakin hate it.

Not reading any of Flashpoint and in the end it wont matter or reboot anything. Those event books are done and everything is magically forgotten.
off_white_lantern

">

Postby rwe1138 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:35 pm

prescribeddrone wrote:As long as it doesn't prevent Grant Morrison from doing EVERYTHING he had planned for Batman, I don't care really/don't mind.... it'll be even easier to stop caring and drop books.

Same here, just replace "Grant Morrison" with "Gail Simone" and "Batman" with "Secret Six and Birds of Prey."
Robert Eddleman
rwe1138

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 pm

DC to make "bombshell" announcements on June 11th
http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/05/23/dc-announces-date-for-expensive-bombshell-announcements/

Well, at least we now know when DC is planning to release info about the big changes expected to their DC Universe line following the conclusion of Flashpoint. The LA Times has announced that both Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will be appearing at its “Hero Complex Film Festival” on June 11th to drop “bombshell announcements about the future of Superman and the entire DC Universe.” Tickets for the event, which also includes a double feature of Superman The Movie and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, along with a Q&A with Donner, cost $45, meaning that – let’s face it – most of us will be following along on the internet.

Bigtymin504

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:39 am

I could see if DC is serous about this making some subtle changes to the DC Universe after Flashpoint. I could see it as maybe a game-changing thing and maybe a good-jumping on point. Having said that, I could also see it as a good jumping-off for fans as well. I'm reading the main Flashpoint book and the two Green Lantern related books and I'll just take a "wait and see" approach to it all.
jaydee74

">

Postby D-Rock » Tue May 24, 2011 8:43 am

We live in interesting times
D-Rock

">

Postby off_white_lantern » Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 am

jaydee74 wrote:I could see if DC is serous about this making some subtle changes to the DC Universe after Flashpoint. I could see it as maybe a game-changing thing and maybe a good-jumping on point. Having said that, I could also see it as a good jumping-off for fans as well. I'm reading the main Flashpoint book and the two Green Lantern related books and I'll just take a "wait and see" approach to it all.

I got confused looking through Previews at all the different titles. And yeah they will kill a character off to be brought back next event or they will be bringing a character back this time around. Yaaaaawn
off_white_lantern

">

Postby jaydee74 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:03 pm

It's simply the circle of life in the universe that is comics.
jaydee74

">

Postby Jherek Carnelian » Wed May 25, 2011 7:34 am

The only DCs I've been following recently are Morrison's Batman and some of Johns' GL books(but I'm pretty 'Universe Spanning Epic'd out right now). It's gotta be just a renumbering gimmick. Probably to make a kind of 'entry level' for all those millions who are gonna flock to DC after the GL movie :roll: .
Jherek Carnelian

Location: An imaginary tale that may or may not ever have happened

">

Postby shark6495 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 am

so pa kent is alive again right? or i mean he will be?
shark6495

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Jherek Carnelian wrote:The only DCs I've been following recently are Morrison's Batman and some of Johns' GL books(but I'm pretty 'Universe Spanning Epic'd out right now). It's gotta be just a renumbering gimmick. Probably to make a kind of 'entry level' for all those millions who are gonna flock to DC after the GL movie :roll: .

This and I think this may be a way of doing some remodeling. With the popularity of the JLU cartoon and many of the background characters, as well as the inclusion of Constantine and Swamp thing, I can see DC making a push to include all their properties into DCU proper. In other words Shining Knight may pop up, some Vertigo characters may show up (we are already seeing Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat, I mean Shade the Changing Man ( :lol: I love the character but I had to make that joke)). In short, I think DC is truly making use of all their properties. Establishing them and possibly making movies and such of them. I'm sure this is at the urging of Johns but I don't blame him. This is what Marvel has done for some time and it has worked well for them (who would have thought a Blade movie or a Daredevil or even a Ghost Rider movie would be made before the Avengers?). Giving your less than A-list characters can do wonders and I seriously think that this is what they are trying to establish. It would also create a comic universe more writer friendly without a serious retcon outside of blaming Flashpoint for anything.
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 pm

ALL DCU books will be rebooted with new 1#s??
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-issue-one-renumbering-of-the-dc-universe/

In September, all the DC Comics published set within the DC Universe will be renumbered with new issue ones.

Every comic continuing from September will be relaunched with a shiny #1. Every. Single. One. With no current plan for the renumbering to reverse to any so-called “legacy” numbering.

And with those issue one renumberings, will come a new rejigged status quo. And yes, characters will be changed. Some may no longer exist. There will be new books, new creators, new teams, new characters and new… new. With no current plan for the new status quo to be undone or reversed.
The current Flashpoint story running through the DC Universe and ending in August has rewritten the history of the DC Universe. How much of it, if any, will be reflected in the September titles?

“The first rule about FLASHPOINT is, don’t talk about what comes after Flashpoint” quotes Chief Creative Office of DC Geoff Johns. And I think we can take that literally. DC creators have been asked by their editors to sign rather restrictive NDA agreements to continue working on titles.

But Bleeding Cool hasn’t signed anything. More today on what this might mean for specific books. Some of it will be accurate. Some of it will be warped in the telling. And some of it will have changed…

We'll see how much of this is true, but it's looking more and more like the entire DCU will be rebooted and continuity will be tweaked again. :shock:
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Johns and Lee "Justice League" a reality?!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-geoff-johns-and-jim-lees-justice-league/

In September, Bleeding Cool has been told that DC Comics will publish a new Justice League ongoing comic book by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, the first title these two have worked together. Even if it’s been a while coming.

It will feature Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and several other characters following the current Flashpoint crossover. It’s the return of the World’s Greatest Superheroes to the book for the first time in years.

Geoff Johns is the Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, a Co-Producer of the upcoming Green Lantern Film and the writer of many of DC Comics bestselling titles of the last five years, including Green Lantern, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and the Flashpoint event.

As well as being Co-Publisher of DC Comics, Jim Lee is best known for revitalising the X-Men for Marvel and co-founding Image Comics in the nineties, for his Batman work for DC in the noughties, and designing the DCU Online MMORG right now. While his comics work has been sporadic, it remains some of the best selling in the industry.

And it looks like he might have been spending some time preparing this comic. I first reported its existence over two years ago, well before Geoff Johns and Jim Lee had been promoted, and have been keeping up with it since. So if nothing else, Jim Lee’s had some lead time.

Not International. Not Dark. And also not Of America. Just the League.

More to come…

Bigtymin504

">

Postby D-Rock » Tue May 31, 2011 2:43 pm

BOOM goes the dynamite!
D-Rock

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Hopefully we at least get a 3 or 4 issue arc out of Lee. :lol: