How can we improve your PoP! Forum experience?

This is the home of the Panels On Pages gang. Please don't pee on the rug, because... well, watch The Big Lebowski and see why.
">

Re: How can we improve your PoP! Forum experience?

Postby shark6495 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:44 pm

K-Nice if ur Nasty wrote:
Thundermatts wrote:Relinking stuff would be a help and im determined to start sharing yur guys fb links with my circle of friends. twitter can suck my butt.

That's a bigger help than you can imagine. We're all already friends with each other. We're all gonna see the PoP! links either from the page or from individual members. We should already have our "core" group of The PoP!ulation clicking the links or visiting the main page on a daily basis anyhow. It's the new audience we need to reach. We received a huge influx of users from the close of the Wumb, and the PCN helped bring in new folks, but for the past couple of years the number of new regular active users has slowed to a drip. While a close knit group is great, we're not going to grow with just our current user base.

Well the WUMB had a national Comic Book mag to bring people in. In the 90s and 2000s if you thought comics you thought Wizard. Today there are so many groups that have fragmented and benefited from the collapse of Wizard that you are competing for the same audience. So if you are not driving people in then how can you expect numbers to increase.

I know my friends do enjoy the non-comic related information when I link to it when you all write it (TV shows, etc).
shark6495

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 am

shark6495 wrote:Today there are so many groups that have fragmented and benefited from the collapse of Wizard that you are competing for the same audience. So if you are not driving people in then how can you expect numbers to increase.

The million dollar question is how do we do this? Without exclusive industry contacts, we're not going to scoop anyone on news, and even if we do, it'll get reprinted at the sites with a higher user-base. We've seen a few pieces of PoP! exclusive content get cannabalized by other sites with little-to-no credit.

We've got a great relationship with the folks at ReedPOP, to the point that a PoP! ad and link has been on the front page of the NYCC, Star Wars Celebration, and C2E2 sites. Even with doing their commercials and videos, we haven't seen a dramatic increase in users.

It's honestly gotta be a "you tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on and so on type situation". Anytime I make a new internet or real life friend, I try to tell them about PoP! as much as possible. I hope The PoP!ulation as a whole would consider doing the same, if you don't already.
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:09 am

shark6495 wrote:Here is my 2 cents. Make me want to come to the main site and not go anywhere else. I love the unique voice/view that you guys offer. But to be honest, I would love to be able to even get the press releases and "boring" info from you guys as well. I know it adds more work and well if it does and you dont do it, I totally get it because its a hobby. I just hate getting news info from Newsarama, or Cosmic Book reading it there, then clicking over to PoP or the forums to get an idea of how it works/doesnt work.

The other issue is with the forum. I feel the forum is on life support. I love coming to the forums. I try to add info when I can, and sadly sometimes I cannot. I feel the issue with the forum is not just the "admin" but all of us. There is little controversy. Plus with such a limited number of bodies, there are only so many people commenting.

Not sure how to fix the forum issue.

I do have to say this. The popcasts have been great and even if I am unable to stay up late on a tuesday the pop casts help fill my 2 hour round trip to work daily.

If more news and press releases are things that you would like to see more of, then at the very least I can make the conscious effort to provide more of that..I can't speak for anyone else. But just as is the case for news and trailers in the past, if I'm putting in the time and energy, yet I'm seeing our own fanbase sharing similar links from other sites, I'm going to get discouraged. Long and the short of it. I'd honestly rather see NO shares and NO relinks of PoP! news than links to other sites. But then again, maybe if we get into the swing of things with posting more breaking information, maybe more people will tend to look to PoP! first before reposting something from a "competitor".

The forum is without a doubt on life support. I would tend to agree with a lot of things I've read in this thread and elsewhere that a lack of participation from PoP! Staff is a huge problem. We're at the point where we're going to give the forum one last push...try to give it a makeover...make it more user friendly....make it more active....and if that doesn't work, we kinda gotta stick a fork in her. There's not much we're currently discussing on the forums that can't be discussed on Facebook, Twitter, or on the main site. However, there is a small section of PoP!ulation members who tend to interact primarily on the forums. Would we lose those users if the forum gets shut down?
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:18 am

I think the interactions would die a quick death without the forums. Ill run a save the forums campaign ala save the clock tower, if I have to. I am not friends on facebook with everyone on here and sometimes a great discussion happens here.

Knize, if you post news or releases on the site Ill be more than willing pushing only PoP! Like I said, I trust PoP (not sure why, ha jokes). So I know I am disappointed to not read on the main site about, say the breaking of the ASM 698.

I knew for a while we had a section that if something was breaking we could post it here to get you guys to post it. Does that still happen?

Also, who is in charge of the PoP Twitter account. I am not seeing as much action from that account. I just checked and saw that the account is posting an average of 2-3 times a day. I am not sure how I dont ever see it come across my feed. Maybe it just gets lost.

Could we have a members drive, you know at a con. Have a lap top set up where people sign up... haha jk, sort of
shark6495

">

Postby shark6495 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:22 am

shark6495 wrote:Today there are so many groups that have fragmented and benefited from the collapse of Wizard that you are competing for the same audience. So if you are not driving people in then how can you expect numbers to increase.

The million dollar question is how do we do this? Without exclusive industry contacts, we're not going to scoop anyone on news, and even if we do, it'll get reprinted at the sites with a higher user-base. We've seen a few pieces of PoP! exclusive content get cannabalized by other sites with little-to-no credit.

We've got a great relationship with the folks at ReedPOP, to the point that a PoP! ad and link has been on the front page of the NYCC, Star Wars Celebration, and C2E2 sites. Even with doing their commercials and videos, we haven't seen a dramatic increase in users.

It's honestly gotta be a "you tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on and so on type situation". Anytime I make a new internet or real life friend, I try to tell them about PoP! as much as possible. I hope The PoP!ulation as a whole would consider doing the same, if you don't already.

I think thats the way it has to be, you just tell people as much/often as you can. I do notice that on another forum I visit, kicentral.com , that the numbers have dwindled over there as well. Its a forum for kings island (theme park here in Cincy). The only issue I have over there is that there are way too many 12 year olds and I cant punch them all...
shark6495

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 am

shark6495 wrote:I think the interactions would die a quick death without the forums. Ill run a save the forums campaign ala save the clock tower, if I have to. I am not friends on facebook with everyone on here and sometimes a great discussion happens here.

Knize, if you post news or releases on the site Ill be more than willing pushing only PoP! Like I said, I trust PoP (not sure why, ha jokes). So I know I am disappointed to not read on the main site about, say the breaking of the ASM 698.

I knew for a while we had a section that if something was breaking we could post it here to get you guys to post it. Does that still happen?

Also, who is in charge of the PoP Twitter account. I am not seeing as much action from that account. I just checked and saw that the account is posting an average of 2-3 times a day. I am not sure how I dont ever see it come across my feed. Maybe it just gets lost.

Could we have a members drive, you know at a con. Have a lap top set up where people sign up... haha jk, sort of

To be fair, there's a LOT of interaction between PoP!ulation members on Twitter and Facebook...probably more than on here.

I think Breaking News tips would be a cool idea, but by the time someone posts something and one of us reads it, isn't it already too late?

Mary is currently trying to improve our social media presence, and posts more links and more interaction from the PoP! than the usual auto-tweets of new content. What would you like to see more of from the PoP! Twitter?
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:26 am

As for a membership drive at conventions...instead of begging for people to sign up, I think we're much better off just making new connections and bringing new people into the fold to the point that they want to join and sign up. It might be worth trying again.
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 am

To be fair, there's a LOT of interaction between PoP!ulation members on Twitter and Facebook...probably more than on here.

I think Breaking News tips would be a cool idea, but by the time someone posts something and one of us reads it, isn't it already too late?

Mary is currently trying to improve our social media presence, and posts more links and more interaction from the PoP! than the usual auto-tweets of new content. What would you like to see more of from the PoP! Twitter?

My brain is about to explode because we are interacting on twitter and on here... poof. You are right, there is a lot of interaction on twitter/facebook but the forum allows people to have a concentrated convo about certain topics (AvX or Spidey etc). Twitter limits the interaction to 140. And if multiple people are communicating it becomes a mess.

As for the PoP twitter account, I think it has more to do with the number of new content being posted. Thats not on you guys at all. I think if there is a breaking news/releases we were speaking about, then the account would get more use. I am comparing it to the Cosmic Book News account and in the last 24 hours it has posted 7 times: Superman movie, batman reboot, dark skies, marvel pin ball, Pacific rim, and something about their work. Looks to be some very simple paragraph work around a simple news release.
shark6495

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Comic character related smilies. Also the humping one.
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Bigtymin504 wrote:Comic character related smilies. Also the humping one.

Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm

The orange "Read Last Newest Post" should be working again for everybody....and hopefully our spambot settings are good as of right now. The bots have been curbed for a while....but we realized that all new user registrations were probably inactivated for that time. But...all should be good now! We'll try to start making more improvements over the next few weeks!
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby Batman25JM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I definitely hope that the forums don't go the way of the dinosaur. I do talk to a lot of the PoP!ulation via Facebook, but I still like the forums. They are totally on life support, but there are people on here that I'm not friends with on Facebook. Also, it's easier to have a discussion about a comic book issue or a new episode of a TV show on here than on Facebook, IMO.

I definitely need to start using Twitter more. I just don't like it all that much. I need to clean up the amount of people I'm following. My Twitter feed is a mess. Anyway, I follow a lot of PoP! people on there, and some follow me, but not everyone does. Granted, those same people never post here, so it's kind of a wash.

If the forums are deemed a waste and you guys nix them, I'd understand. I would still be upset though.

As for drawing more people to the main site, I do think having more news would be good. I personally wouldn't care if other sites scooped you, I'd rather come here for the news. If nothing else maybe you could start putting the PoP! Top Six Pack that you do for the PoP!-Cast on the site like you used to do. I know you guys hate Bleedingcool, but even if you reported rumors and gossip like that, I'd be okay. Maybe have a feature like PoP! Scuttlebutt or something where you list a few rumors going around and then comment on them. Stuff like who is being rumored to play Batman or something. I know you occasionally do things like that, but if you upped it a bit it might be cool.

I also think that more reviews would be a HUGE thing. You guys have really really gotten away from doing them. Sure, there is the odd Hidden Gem or something, but new reviews of TV show episodes or comics are all but non-existent at this point. Hell, I'd be willing to review things for you guys if you want (and it wouldn't all be "I loved it" ;)). I truly think that if you guys could get out 3 or 4 reviews of new comics every Wednesday/Thursday as well as reviewing new episodes of nerd friendly shows each week, that it could help draw people in. I know Jared has the Retailer Privilege videos, and those are great, but I still think written reviews would be a great thing. Also, his videos don't deal with TV shows.

And like I said, I would be happy to write a few reviews for you each week if you guys don't have the time or energy or desire to write reviews yourselves. Despite the fact that most of my reviews on the forums consist of "I loved it" or "I hated it", I can actually write. ;) I just chose to do quick things like that on here. You guys could also open it up to other users if you wanted. Now, I'm not trying to butt in on the site or anything. It's your guys' baby. So, my feelings won't be hurt if you'd rather I not write anything. I totally get it. I just thought I'd offer to help. :)
Batman25JM

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Interesting points across the board!
K-Nice if ur Nasty

">

Postby Lee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:03 pm

I've been stepping up my review game lately. That's a big missing piece of what we do. A return of the 6-pack wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
You're welcome, internet.
Joshua wrote:If Panels On Pages is a clique, they're about as competent at managing a clique as Wizard is a comic book convention.
Lee
Site Admin

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Batman25JM wrote:I definitely hope that the forums don't go the way of the dinosaur. I do talk to a lot of the PoP!ulation via Facebook, but I still like the forums. They are totally on life support, but there are people on here that I'm not friends with on Facebook. Also, it's easier to have a discussion about a comic book issue or a new episode of a TV show on here than on Facebook, IMO.

I definitely need to start using Twitter more. I just don't like it all that much. I need to clean up the amount of people I'm following. My Twitter feed is a mess. Anyway, I follow a lot of PoP! people on there, and some follow me, but not everyone does. Granted, those same people never post here, so it's kind of a wash.

If the forums are deemed a waste and you guys nix them, I'd understand. I would still be upset though.

As for drawing more people to the main site, I do think having more news would be good. I personally wouldn't care if other sites scooped you, I'd rather come here for the news. If nothing else maybe you could start putting the PoP! Top Six Pack that you do for the PoP!-Cast on the site like you used to do. I know you guys hate Bleedingcool, but even if you reported rumors and gossip like that, I'd be okay. Maybe have a feature like PoP! Scuttlebutt or something where you list a few rumors going around and then comment on them. Stuff like who is being rumored to play Batman or something. I know you occasionally do things like that, but if you upped it a bit it might be cool.

I also think that more reviews would be a HUGE thing. You guys have really really gotten away from doing them. Sure, there is the odd Hidden Gem or something, but new reviews of TV show episodes or comics are all but non-existent at this point. Hell, I'd be willing to review things for you guys if you want (and it wouldn't all be "I loved it" ;)). I truly think that if you guys could get out 3 or 4 reviews of new comics every Wednesday/Thursday as well as reviewing new episodes of nerd friendly shows each week, that it could help draw people in. I know Jared has the Retailer Privilege videos, and those are great, but I still think written reviews would be a great thing. Also, his videos don't deal with TV shows.

And like I said, I would be happy to write a few reviews for you each week if you guys don't have the time or energy or desire to write reviews yourselves. Despite the fact that most of my reviews on the forums consist of "I loved it" or "I hated it", I can actually write. ;) I just chose to do quick things like that on here. You guys could also open it up to other users if you wanted. Now, I'm not trying to butt in on the site or anything. It's your guys' baby. So, my feelings won't be hurt if you'd rather I not write anything. I totally get it. I just thought I'd offer to help. :)

Those are some pretty good points.

Bigtymin504 wrote:Comic character related smilies. Also the humping one.

This idea is always good, no matter how many times I see it. I may actually post less pictures/reaction images if this happens. 8-)
Arsenal wrote: That whole fight makes me want to hire Wade to write a rant for me and fill it with .GIFs that show how upset I am with it.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby Bigtymin504 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Batman25JM wrote:I definitely hope that the forums don't go the way of the dinosaur. I do talk to a lot of the PoP!ulation via Facebook, but I still like the forums. They are totally on life support, but there are people on here that I'm not friends with on Facebook. Also, it's easier to have a discussion about a comic book issue or a new episode of a TV show on here than on Facebook, IMO.

Good stuff! There's been some really great comic discussion on these boards of late, which I really hope continues. I try to post comic/movie news too whenever I can to help spark some chatter.

And as Wade points out, my smilies post still stands. ;)
Bigtymin504

">

Postby Thundermatts » Mon May 20, 2013 11:11 am

This may get me yelled at, but I thought I'd try anyways. I was thinking about Pop the other day and decided to swing by and check out the page. I didn't enjoy looking at it, and I don't mean content wise, I simply mean it's a big front page of links to other pages, and it just sort of looks... old school. So I thought about the pages I go to on a super regular basis, and I realized the ones I checked every day had soemthing in common. They looked like wwtdd, or gammasquad, (which you know, covers much of the same stuff that Pop does.) or warmingglow, etc. I know those are all on the same network, so it makes sense that they look alike, but I think it says something that I think wwtdd.com suuuucks. It's just terrible writing, but I find myself still checking it, because it's just so easy. There isn't a bunch of links, it's just one page I scroll down. A lot of pages seem to be like this now, and I think Pop could benefit from doing the site this way, and updating it five or so times throughout the day. You can do all of the same stuff, but I'll be more likely to read everything than just look at the links and decide there's nothing I really need to look at. Am I making any sense? lol. Oh well, I love Pop and hope this helps!
You are absolutely, perfectly seeing a rainbow. We're being goofy buddy, we're being so goofy- Me, talking in my sleep.
Thundermatts

">

Postby Lee » Thu May 23, 2013 11:22 pm

I've never heard of those sites before. Really, all the sites I got to pretty much look like ours in some capacity. Our content is such that it would look pretty ridiculous if everything was on the front page. It'd be a complete cluster. You don't really want a front page with a dozen magazine-style entries.
You're welcome, internet.
Joshua wrote:If Panels On Pages is a clique, they're about as competent at managing a clique as Wizard is a comic book convention.
Lee
Site Admin

">

Postby shining knight » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am

I didn't want to spam this as its own thread....

can we redo the fandumb poll thing we recently finished?

The doctor who fans (and in perticular the british half) have just gotten even worse since they made the trailer for the 50th anniversary episode san diego exclusive
shining knight

">

Postby Dr. Wade McNasty » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:33 pm

An option to hide posts that are reported would be pretty cool if possible. If someone hides a legit post, it can be unhidden by a mod and slap the person abusing that function, not that anyone here would abuse such a function. Spam is not the most common thing here surprisingly but when it happens it is a bother and I dislike the idea of clicking one of those virus-laden links accidentally while in the process of reporting the spam.
Dr. Wade McNasty

">

Postby shark6495 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:11 am

Hey if anyone reads this. Is there a way to view this through one of the forums apps on iOS or Android? I use Tapatalk but I couldnt find this place?

I hate to bring it up, but if you were to disable comments on articles would it drag conversations onto the boards?
shark6495

">

Postby K-Nice if ur Nasty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 pm

shark6495 wrote:Hey if anyone reads this. Is there a way to view this through one of the forums apps on iOS or Android? I use Tapatalk but I couldnt find this place?

I hate to bring it up, but if you were to disable comments on articles would it drag conversations onto the boards?

We don't get enough comments on articles to warrant that.
K-Nice if ur Nasty

Previous

Return to Panels on Pages